Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

WFF Members Meet On South Platte

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Dan 
#1 ·
Mike Doughty and his son and daughter met me this morning in Colorado Springs and we fished the South Platte together this morning and afternoon. We didn't get much love from the fish, although to be fair, they were occupied with the most prodigious Trico spinner fall I have ever seen. We watched some nice fish motor upstream with their mouths open sucking in the bugs. It was a sight I won't soon forget. We just didn't have any spinners small enough. Mike had his WFF hat on and it looked really good. I'll have to get one of those. I hope that Mike will jump in here with some pics. Both of his kids did bring fish to hand and he captured the moment on his digital camera. I sent several dinks flying through the air. Fortunately, I don't think he got pictures of that!

#3 ·
Jim,

Yeah, it doesn't seem like it would be tough to catch big fish gulping spinners, but it is. These were males tricos in about a sz. 20. Even if I had a spinner in the right size, the fly could have drifted into their open mouths and I wouldn't have known it. Hum. There was a concurrent autumn PMD hatch (sz. 24) and for a while it seemed that some fish were taking the spinners and some fish were still keyed on the PMD's. Hum again. I think that I had just as much fun watching the fish as I would have had catching them - well, almost as much fun anyway!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.