Worst purchase.

#1
As I was sitting here trying to use a set of rotary hackle pliers I once bought, and getting more frustrated by the second, (Never could use them right, they slip, stuff gets twisted, they just sit there and once a year or so I try them, only to get irritated again). I was wondering if anyone else has an stories to share about a piece of tying equipment they bought that just didn't live up to your expectations?
 
#4
Half my steelhead and salmon materials --I've got probably $500 invested, and I'm moving back to MT in April... Most of my fish have come on flies I could have tied with a $50 investment.
 

mr trout

Trevor Hutton
#5
Longs for Cutts said:
Half my steelhead and salmon materials --I've got probably $500 invested, and I'm moving back to MT in April... Most of my fish have come on flies I could have tied with a $50 investment.
Well, if you dont want to pack it for the move, you can feel free to send it to the mr trout fly tying materials adoption centre.... its kinda like the island of misfit toys, but without the creepy songs...


As far as the question, my answer is anything I got trying to be "cheap" because now it has been replaced and I could have not had to buy things twice once I figured out why they were cheap. eg, scissors, hackle pliers, whip finisher etc. Then Again I have built tools on the cheap that I like just fine... go figure.
 
#7
I bought a set of hackle guards for tying off my dries, but everytime I try to use on of them they cut my thread and the fly unravels. Maybe they're thread cutters.....

Wayne
 
#8
Most of the tools and tying gadgets I've purchased have worked out fairly well. My biggest disappointment has been materials - namely the much touted Whitting Spey hackle cape.

Hywel
 
#9
Hmmmm, I don't think I have a worst purchase. I use everything I've bought. Although, in hindsight, I would've avoided buying the beginners tying kit I started off with, and just gone with the vise I've got now and a few materials and tools needed to get me started..... but then again, something tells me I would have had a hard time convicing my wife that spending about $200-$250 to get me started would be justified!!
 

mr trout

Trevor Hutton
#10
Desmond Wiles said:
..... but then again, something tells me I would have had a hard time convicing my wife that spending about $200-$250 to get me started would be justified!!
I must be doing it right then. I am getting all my toys now while I am single so I will already have the stuff when "that" day comes... Now I just have to find a girl that will put up with me and my fishing/hunting junk...:clown:
 
#11
Oh, you think your safe huh?! You might get the "do you really need that thing?" questions once you find a girl. They try and throw out all your cool stuff!!!
 
#13
sixfinger said:
Oh, you think your safe huh?! You might get the "do you really need that thing?" questions once you find a girl. They try and throw out all your cool stuff!!!

Unless you find a girl who has her own "stuff" (my wife likes handmade, and very expensive baskets) and then you can justify your "stuff" to her. Actually my wife supports my habit, as long as I promise never to try to get her to flyfish too. Seems fair..... Even better with the wife if you can take the kids with you.

Wayne