WFF Oly Pen Trip is Feb 18 and 19

Old Man

Just an Old Man
#62
I'm still having doubts about going. It is not to close to home being that I'm in Marysville. I would have to take a ferry ride and then a bridge over the Canel. And I don't do bridges over water. So it would a long drive is in order and I don't camp out in the middle of winter.But a cheap motel would be nice. And no, I don't want to carpool. But I'll keep this on the back burner.

Jim
 

andrew

Active Member
#63
Jim Swan said:
I'm still having doubts about going. It is not to close to home being that I'm in Marysville. I would have to take a ferry ride and then a bridge over the Canel. And I don't do bridges over water. So it would a long drive is in order and I don't camp out in the middle of winter.But a cheap motel would be nice. And no, I don't want to carpool. But I'll keep this on the back burner.

Jim

WOW! Jim how do you make it through each day? :clown:
 

Old Man

Just an Old Man
#65
There are certain bridges that don't bother me and some that do. Being that the Hood Canal bridge is rather long I prefer not to challenge it. I won't even try the Deception Pass bridge, Ship canal Bridge,I-5. That one in Idaho on I-90 is a real challenge. I even have my doubts about going to Pass lake. To cross over the Columbia in Wenatchee I take the US-2 and drive in the inside lane to keep from getting scared.

I used to take the back roads to Index just so I wouldn't have to cross that bridge at Big Eddy. But now I have that one licked.

The list could go on and on but I'll quit now. I don't want to bore you with my height problems.

And yes I can get to Everett over those bridges on old 99.

Jim
 

Salmo_g

Well-Known Member
#66
Wow! How many campsites are there at Oxbow?

Everybody be sure to bring your own rock to stand on, elsewise you won't have any place to fish.
 

Zen Piscator

Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.
#67
Jim,
You should drive over bridge of the gods with me sometime on our way up the columbia river gorge. Its amazing, and only $1.
 

Jim Kerr

Active Member
#68
I know I said this before, but Ill say it again. Thats a TON of people for oxbow. Although it has quite a few campsites, about 1/2 are too wet too use in heavy rain...and its alot farther from forks than bogacheil,( if you decide you want a hot meal and a shower)Upper Hoh (national)is bigger and has indoor facilities, as does Bogicheil (state)
As some one who has spent the last 12 winters camping in one form or another all winter around forks, I might sugest you make your first priority cover. You might look forward to an extra few minits in the car in the morning if this weather keeps up.
Look forward to meeting you all
Jim
 

James Mello

Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"
#69
Uncle Jimmy said:
I know I said this before, but Ill say it again. Thats a TON of people for oxbow. Although it has quite a few campsites, about 1/2 are too wet too use in heavy rain...and its alot farther from forks than bogacheil,( if you decide you want a hot meal and a shower)Upper Hoh (national)is bigger and has indoor facilities, as does Bogicheil (state)
As some one who has spent the last 12 winters camping in one form or another all winter around forks, I might sugest you make your first priority cover. You might look forward to an extra few minits in the car in the morning if this weather keeps up.
Look forward to meeting you all
Jim
so are you suggesting that we abandon Oxbow and do the upper Hoh? I myself don't know much about that specific campsite, so I'll have to defer to those with more intimate knowledge. If need be, we can always change where the site is, but it's getting close to the trip, so we'll have to decide soon!
 

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
#70
If we hit overflow for Oxbow there are other nearby options for those people.

Just south of The Hoh River Oxbow- on 101 about two miles or so south- is a campground, with gas, a deli and convenience store, with showers, hookup sites for trailers etc, some tent sites, and some small cabins.

On the upper Hoh Rainforest Road, (about four miles up from Oxbow Camp),there is Willoghby Creek Campground on the right, and about a mile farther there is Minnie Peterson Camp on the left. Both of these are free DNR Campgrounds with no running water, but they do have pit toilets and developed campsites with firepits and grates, and garbage service.

On hwy 101, traveling north toward the burgeoning metropolis of Forks, the Boagchiel State Park Campground is on the left after you pass over the big Bogachiele River bridge. This is a state park and has hook up sites for campers, tent sites, potable running water and some very nice heated bathrooms with hot showers. This camop is about six miles or so North of the Oxbow.

I think were covered with the Hoh Oxbow as Base Camp. Bring extra tarps because it is winter and it is cold and wet. My thinking on this is that, historically, the winter storms somewhat abate- in frequency and intensity- by early february. The mountains freeze at lower levels, and the river flows decrease in velocity, turbidity clears and the water is colder. Of course there are no guarantees, especially with record rains and warm temperatures so far
this winter. Just playing the odds.
 

Jim Kerr

Active Member
#71
Bob, (and others)
Not to beat a totaly dead horse, but I am sure you have noticed that the water table is completly full around Forks and probably will remain so for quite some time. Even during this last 3 day dry spell it only took about 20 min of rain to turn most of Oxbow back into a lake. The last time I saw a big group camp there under these conditions several folks ended up having to move their tents out onto the road to get out of the puddles....and as you mentioned..Bogie has hot showers. Just want everyone to have a good time and be prepaired for the weather.
Also, if you plan on floating BRING PFD'S we really don't want anyone to get hurt in the river. Everyone in a boat should be wearing a life jacket.
Jim
 
#72
Hey all-
Getting really excited about this trip, like a kid as Xmas approaches.
A few questions and points I have.

James thanks for taking the lead on this, I think it'll be great. :thumb:

Do we want to have a common meal one of the evenings. If people don't care for one that's fine too. I wasn't thinking fo anything fancy since it'll be really wet and my dutch oven and propane burner are in storage.. So It could really be hot dogs or a giant pot of chili, depending on who wants to help out. Also, what sort of equipment do people have to bring, does someone have a large grill top they could bring that I could use? Or a propane burner? Again hotdogs/burgers would probably be easiest. Maybe 5-6 dozen could do it. I'll volunteer my time for this, there's also a butcher near me, so I could probably spring for the meat. But if noone wants to do it, that's cool too. Lets just get a consensus.:eek:

If the rain continues, and the water is dangerous that weekend, do we want to have some sort of check-in at the main site. I know it sounds like something "mom" would do, but we don't want to be there at 10pm "socializing"ptyd when someone asks "Where's Tommy? Anyone seen him?", "Not since this morning":confused: . Just a thought, it's a big group and we don't all know eachother, so it'll be tough to know if someone floated off and didn't come back.

Also, on that point, where can someone get a good pfd for fishing and wading, one of those inflatable ones?:rofl:

I'll bring another spey rod if someone wants to try it out. Or if someone wants to teach me the proper way to use it.:ray1:

I got a couple of tarps for the group, but we still proably need a lot more. :beathead:

Tight lines
-Sloan
 

Salmo_g

Well-Known Member
#73
ht75,

I also asked that question about a potluck meal earlier. Since everything is so tentative due to weather conditions, we may not know until Thursday, Feb. 16th. (If weather and water are favorable, I plan to drive over Friday morning and fish.) I was thinking about bringing a pot of my road-kill chili, since that warms me through and through - and helps keep the tent warm all night. I've got an 8*10 tarp that I hope to string over a table. I don't have any firewood. Does anyone have some they can bring? Or know where the group can get some?

Fool that I am, I never take a PFD in my raft when floating unless it's a river like the big D, but I've got an SOS and a couple regular vests that are furniture in my powerboat, since the law requires them. Thanks for the reminder; I'll stick the SOS in with my raft. I'll have an extra Spey rod also, so if someone wants to give one a try.

I hope we get that customary February dry spell, or there may be no season this year.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
 

James Mello

Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"
#74
A friend of mine is the manager of an REI and he said we can demo one of their propane camping grills over the weekend. So from that perspective, we'll have a reasonably large cooking surface.

As for a checkin, we can do that, but I only want to do it, if people feel it makes them safer and agree to it.

As for PFD's, I'm going to bring all the extras I have. They aren't great PFD's, but there are around 6-7 that will fit adults and will at least keep your head above water in case of disaster.

Salmo_g and HT, if you don't mind, I'm going to update the front page with the spey rod info.

-- Cheers
-- James

ht75 said:
Hey all-
Getting really excited about this trip, like a kid as Xmas approaches.
A few questions and points I have.

James thanks for taking the lead on this, I think it'll be great. :thumb:

Do we want to have a common meal one of the evenings. If people don't care for one that's fine too. I wasn't thinking fo anything fancy since it'll be really wet and my dutch oven and propane burner are in storage.. So It could really be hot dogs or a giant pot of chili, depending on who wants to help out. Also, what sort of equipment do people have to bring, does someone have a large grill top they could bring that I could use? Or a propane burner? Again hotdogs/burgers would probably be easiest. Maybe 5-6 dozen could do it. I'll volunteer my time for this, there's also a butcher near me, so I could probably spring for the meat. But if noone wants to do it, that's cool too. Lets just get a consensus.:eek:

If the rain continues, and the water is dangerous that weekend, do we want to have some sort of check-in at the main site. I know it sounds like something "mom" would do, but we don't want to be there at 10pm "socializing"ptyd when someone asks "Where's Tommy? Anyone seen him?", "Not since this morning":confused: . Just a thought, it's a big group and we don't all know eachother, so it'll be tough to know if someone floated off and didn't come back.

Also, on that point, where can someone get a good pfd for fishing and wading, one of those inflatable ones?:rofl:

I'll bring another spey rod if someone wants to try it out. Or if someone wants to teach me the proper way to use it.:ray1:

I got a couple of tarps for the group, but we still proably need a lot more. :beathead:

Tight lines
-Sloan