Steelhead Nymphing Article

Mingo

the Menehune stole my beer
That was really well done guys, kudos........I learned some shit that I'll put to use!

My 8th Grade Woodshop teacher looked exactly like that "Short Buser" fly, complete with bulging eyes, unkempt whiskers and weird rubbery barbels sticking out of his face.........:rofl:

Thanks for the article guys. People that take the time and effort to write something like that make this sommunity much more inviting for us 'under-informed'.

Eric (loading up the printer with write-in-the-rain paper) :cool:

Mingo said:
That was really well done guys, kudos........I learned some shit that I'll put to use!

My 8th Grade Woodshop teacher looked exactly like that "Short Buser" fly, complete with bulging eyes, unkempt whiskers and weird rubbery barbels sticking out of his face.........:rofl:

Did he have missing fingers? I think it should be a prerequisite for any "shop" teacher to have a few missing digits to have any credibility.

:rofl:

Paul Huffman

Driven by irrational exuberance.
Great article.

I used to use the double uni-knot with a fast-tie tool to tie on my tippet, but I was getting break-offs right below the knot leaving a short curled end. I hypothesized that the double uni-knot was making a little inflexible barrel resulting in transferring a lot of hinging to the single filament mono above and below the knot leading to fatigue and failure after hours of casting. I went back to a surgeons knot. Not as strong, but quicker to tie, so I retie it more often. I'll have to look up the Pitzen knot.

I once tried to nymph through a deep slot on the Washougal liked by bait plunkers. I tied on about 16 feet of straight mono with an indicator 15.5 ft. above my globug. Then I found I couldn't get the globug up out of the water with a 9 ft. rod because the indicator wouldn't let me retrieve any more line and without any fly line out past the tip guide, I couldn't roll or whip it up to the surface either. Have you ever been faced with this? Have any solutions?

Paul,
Yes. There are some strike indicators that will release w/ a firm hook set and slide down the leader. I got a few at the FF show in Bellevue a few year ago from a fly shop in Port Townshend (I think). I also believe Phil Rowley is marketing them for stillwater long leader chironomid fishing.

NorthernExposure

not bad for a yankee
Yo andy,

badass article, with rad photos. That type of work can get you paid brotha. What kind of camera are you using? do you have a macro or zoom lens on that biatch!? ~ Steve