1st duck hunt - what went wrong ?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by blackshoe, Oct 1, 2008.

1. blackshoe

blackshoe New Member

Here is the story. Self & son - in camo - face paint or face cover - no other hunter within miles. Mountains of West Virginia - large bottom -75 to 100 plus acres - about 97% alders - 2% grass - 1% water - beaver pond about 50' X 40' - used 2 goose, 2 male woodie & 6 mallard decoys. Saw 20 -24 ducks, no geese. Saw 1 teal, 4 mallards and rest woodies. Did no calling. None except teal commited to land. Some circled and some just flew by one time. Some landed on small pockets of water nearby & not sure where other went.

My theory - too many decoys - should have used two or none. Hunter were seen.

What do you think? Thank you.

2. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Sounds like you already have it figured out. I am new to waterfowling, but in that situation I would build a blind and focus on one or two species. Birds have eyesight sensitive enough to see you breathe, so a blind would probably help a lot.

3. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

If you arent going to call, you have to give them some added realism. Maybe add a jerk cord to your set up to produce a few ripples or even better a flutterwing from aero outdoors.
    I would get rid of the goose decoys, and seperate your mallards and woodies into 2 distinct bunches. Woodies are tough to decoy. Be ready to take them on the first pass.
    Get a call and learn to use it. Otherwise, add some movement and dont be seen.

4. buford

buford Member

Gotta agree with D3
    A woodie whistle is very easy to blow. (that sounds very odd) :rofl:
    buford

5. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

Question I have is this a pond you see ducks on during the day if you just pass by looking. I treat ducks like geese. Look for areas where the ducks seem to land or seems to be a major flyway, just like geese looking where they feed and place decoys there. Jerk cords as mentioned earlier. If not a good caller a widgeon call. Simple to use and deadly. Something I give my 7 yr old daughter when she comes with me. It makes her feel like she was a big part of the hunt. Make sure your decoys are visible and clean. Don't use dirty decoys. Hope this helps.

BRAVEHEART

6. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Ducks are seeing you move, you move your head when you follow them with your eyes.