1st duck hunt - what went wrong ?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by blackshoe, Oct 1, 2008.

1. blackshoe New Member

oakland,md
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Here is the story. Self & son - in camo - face paint or face cover - no other hunter within miles. Mountains of West Virginia - large bottom -75 to 100 plus acres - about 97% alders - 2% grass - 1% water - beaver pond about 50' X 40' - used 2 goose, 2 male woodie & 6 mallard decoys. Saw 20 -24 ducks, no geese. Saw 1 teal, 4 mallards and rest woodies. Did no calling. None except teal commited to land. Some circled and some just flew by one time. Some landed on small pockets of water nearby & not sure where other went.

My theory - too many decoys - should have used two or none. Hunter were seen.

What do you think? Thank you.
  2. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Sounds like you already have it figured out. I am new to waterfowling, but in that situation I would build a blind and focus on one or two species. Birds have eyesight sensitive enough to see you breathe, so a blind would probably help a lot.
  3. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    If you arent going to call, you have to give them some added realism. Maybe add a jerk cord to your set up to produce a few ripples or even better a flutterwing from aero outdoors.
    I would get rid of the goose decoys, and seperate your mallards and woodies into 2 distinct bunches. Woodies are tough to decoy. Be ready to take them on the first pass.
    Get a call and learn to use it. Otherwise, add some movement and dont be seen.
  4. buford Member

City, State
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Gotta agree with D3
    A woodie whistle is very easy to blow. (that sounds very odd) :rofl:
    buford
  5. William Wallace Active Member

Graham Wa
    Ratings: +198 / 0
    Question I have is this a pond you see ducks on during the day if you just pass by looking. I treat ducks like geese. Look for areas where the ducks seem to land or seems to be a major flyway, just like geese looking where they feed and place decoys there. Jerk cords as mentioned earlier. If not a good caller a widgeon call. Simple to use and deadly. Something I give my 7 yr old daughter when she comes with me. It makes her feel like she was a big part of the hunt. Make sure your decoys are visible and clean. Don't use dirty decoys. Hope this helps.

BRAVEHEART
  6. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Ducks are seeing you move, you move your head when you follow them with your eyes.