1st King on the fly, SE AK

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by 8wtflyrod, Jun 21, 2007.

1. 8wtflyrod take me fishing

Bellingham
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Well, we got back from SE Alaska, the Akwe River. The Akwe is located in the Tsongas National forest and is approx. 70 miles S of Yakutat. Very remote.

We flew into Yakutat on the 14th, got picked up by a small Cessna and landed on the beach next to the river. Beautiful flight a few hundred feet off the trees. Saw bear and moose on the way over. From there we had a mile journey in an 8-wheeled argo to the jet boats, from there 8 miles or so to camp.

Small camp, no-one around and we are the only people on the entire river. This is the way to experience Alaska. I've been up to the camp in September for coho (H.I.C. Tours, I would greatly recommend if anyone is looking to getaway. The guide owns the business, so he is gone and out of reach most of the year. Even sat phones are difficult to get a signal on. I have a local contact, if anyone wants info just PM me), but this is the first time I've been up for Kings. HIC Tours is the only guide permitted to establish camp and guide on the Akwe (as I understand it) so there are no other fishermen on the river (8 max to camp).

We had to work for the fish, but we eventually found them. Just not nearly as plentiful as the coho run. However, I did land a 36" steelhead, 25 lb Chinook and a Red within the span of an hour.

The wildlife was amazing. Fox, moose, bear, otter, beaver, etc, etc, etc.

All in all, a fantastic trip. Can't wait till this September for coho again.
  2. Bryan Williamson Willybethere

Bothell, WA
    Awesome pics, sounds like a sweet trip. Thanks for sharing.
  3. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    yakutat is something else
  4. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    Looks to be a great time.
  5. NoWorries New Member

chico, ca
    I am headed up to SE AK and using Hic Tours on October 17th. I am expecting to do some Coho fishing. I have a 6wt and an 8wt fly rod I was planning on bringing up. what kind of line setup were you using? I am looking at the Rio Versa Tips so I can change to the varying depths of the river, but I am not sure this is needed.

any suggestions on what line(s) to use and flys to bring up?

your comments would be appreciated.

thanks.
    tom.
  6. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Sweet report and pics!! Those were some big fish! Where you using a 10wt at least??

I also really like the moose picture! Awesome to get it in action w/ the water dripping off it as it leaves the river!

Thanks for sharing!
    Bill :beer2:
  7. 8wtflyrod take me fishing

Bellingham
    For the Kings, it was the 10wt. For the silvers I recommend using your 8wt. Leave the 6 at home, you will be packing plenty of gear as it is.

No worries- I use the versi-tips myself. You will problably find that you will switch between a floating line (when using a heavily weighted fly) and a medium sinking line.

Good luck in October and bring top-notch raingear.
  8. NoWorries New Member

chico, ca
    Thank you for the info on the lines and the rain gear. I appreciate the response. I will go ahead and pick up the versa tips then.

Nice pictures, looks like you had a good trip!

thanks again.
    tom.
  9. clacksteel39 New Member

Portland, OR
    I've up to the the Akwe with Hippy John two years. My dad, uncles and granddad had been up there about 5 times before that. It is an awesome river and Hippy does have the only permit but you will still see fisherman (and gill netters) on the river. In the past a 30 king day was not unheard of. Our last trip was a big flop and Hippy was just too lazy for us (we'd end up having to cook his food, run the boats, etc. which would have been fine if that is what we were paying for). The fish weren't there (I can't blame Hippy for that). It doesn't make a person who spent over $1000 on tickets alone feel real great when they step off the plane and hear "Well I will be able to take you on some eco-tours". I hear the coho is amazing though and would love to go up there after them!
  10. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Dude bring the 6 wt. (a 4 wt is ideal) that time of year all you need is a floater for sure, unless you plan on lake fishing or something. A 6 wt with a floating line is perfect for dollies which will be in full on spawning colors i.e. the prettiest fish in SEAK. Unless you are fishing a HUGE river or something (Think Skagit) you don't need any sink tips for silvers they will either come up and smash flies or if they aren't aggressive you might have to nymph them up. I fish silvers on my 5 wt all the time but an 8 weight is pretty good, a 7 wt perfect. The versa tip is a great line, just very unnessisary for southeast or coho in Alaska (great for kings though). Where exactally are you going, I can help you out