1st rod

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by jnb, Apr 8, 2009.

1. jnb New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    So I was creeping around on the forum last night, and I got the impulse to learn how to build rods. I think I got everything I needed, but I would appreciate any input if it looks like I am missing something big. Here's the list:

RHW C.O. TO FIT RA7/RA5 [FRHW7CA-250/.850] 1 10.52
    RECESSED METAL SEAT RA7C-B [RA7C-B] 1 13.54 \
    RX6 6'6" 4PC 2WT BLANK FORECAST BLANK [F662-4] 1 27.30
    BLSFGP1 SINGLE FOOT WIRE GUIDE / BLACK CHROME [BLSFGP1] 3 0.68
    BLSFGP2 SINGLE FOOT GUIDE / BLACK CHROME [BLSFGP2] 2 0.68
    BLSFGP3 SINGLE GUIDE W/ BLACK CHROME [BLSFGP3] 1 0.68
    LTCUDUG08 LIGHT UD GUIDE W/BLUE RING [LTCUDUG08] 1 3.22
    BLFT3.5 FLY TIP TOP BLACK STANDARD LOOP [BLFT3.5] 1 0.99
    LIGHT TI WINDING CHECK LTWC265 [LTCWC265] 1 2.30
    BLACK PVC WINDING CHECK [BWC05] 1 0.13
    100yd. DK. GREEN GUDEBROD NYLON THREAD [521AR5896] 1 2.50 Payment Verified April 8, 2009
    SM. BLACK HOOK KEEP [BHKS] 1 0.50
    FLEXCOAT COLOR PRESERVER 1oz BOTTLE CP [C1] 1 2.35
    2oz. FLEX COAT LITE ROD WRAPPING FINISH [F2SL] 1 10.02
  2. Tyler Speir Artist

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    My only advice would be build on a bigger rod for your first time. I would build a 5wt if I were you, and make sure its not a matt finnish blank. Its not easy to wrap guides on a small blank.
  3. jnb New Member

Seattle, WA
    Yeah, I read on another post that the smaller rods are tougher for beginners, but building a rod in a size I don't have is the only way I could justify spending money on it to myself. Thanks for the tip though, I'm sure it will be fresh in my head while I am struggling to wrap the tiny guides with my gorilla hands.
  4. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    While it is easier to wrap on a larger blank for your first build, I think a lot of people start out like you have (and me), with a 2wt. You should be fine. Just be careful and patient when wrapping the tip section. Also, do you have any epoxy (not finish epoxy like Flex Coat) to bind the grip and seat to the blank? I suggest U-40 Rod Bond if you haven't gotten any.

You'll love that little blank, by the way. A very nice small stream rod.
    -Ethan
  5. jnb New Member

Seattle, WA
    I don't have any, good catch-thanks for that. Would a basic "5 minute epoxy" from the hardware store work, or is it better to get the stuff specifically designed for rod building? And do you think epoxy or glue is the way to go for the tip top?
  6. Tyler Speir Artist

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Do not use 5 min epoxy for your first build. You will be kicking your own ass if you try it. You have zero room for error. If you don't have it perfect and it starts to set you are out of luck.
  7. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    iagree That's why I like U-40. It sets slower and it doesn't run, so it's a lot more user friendly.
    -Ethan
  8. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Grip Reamer, Masking Tape, Tip Adhesive, File, Tape Measure, Razor Blades. Not "big" things, but you'll need them
  9. jnb New Member

Seattle, WA
    Thanks guys, just ordered the U40, and I think I have or will be able to borrow the tools. But what is tip adhesive?
  10. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    It's the stuff to stick the tip-top on with, usually a hot melt glue. It sets fast and holds the top in place. You can probably buy it in the sporting goods section at Wal-Mart in a "Rod Tip Repair Kit." If not, you can use U-40 to accomplish the same this, just make sure it dries in the right spot because U-40 bonds like steel.
    -Ethan
  11. DCR Member

Tacoma, Wa.
    jnb,

Building you first rod is a lot of fun and even more fun fishing with it. My 13 year old daughter is just now starting to build and she loves it. I have some of the stuff on you list that your welcome to have just pm me.
  12. Jim Allen "Fish-On" Custom Fly Rods

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    You may want to consider some rod bond to attach your cork and real seat. Take your time and always remember you can always rewrap until you are happy. Enjoy your project as you will soom be building another;)