1st sea run cutthroat this wekeend!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by brettgaba, Oct 1, 2012.

1. brettgaba New Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Finally have something significant to report after a number of outings, skunks, and baby cohos. I hooked and landed my first SRC early Sunday morning at Picnic Point. Beautiful 15" fish and the picture does not do justice to the greenish color and thickness of the fish. Just a great fight. I am still amazed at the water clarity out here. We did not have water like this back on the Chesapeake Bay. I was fishing from shore for the first time, using a St Croix saltwater 6weight and an intermediate line. Caught the fish on a small sand lance pattern that I tied. Saw some birds working about 200 yards off shore. Might try for another kayak trip later this week. Would like to see if I can catch a salmon, another first on a fly rid for me.

Attached Files:

2. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +209 / 0
    Congrats and nice fish! Since this is a C&R fishery, try to keep the fish off the rocks next time. If you have trouble hand landing a fish in the water, a net will make it much easier to land and release them with minimal contact and damage to the fish. Good luck with the coho - there are still some out there!
  3. brettgaba New Member

seattle, wa
  4. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    Congratulations!
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Oops. Another one bites the beach cobble. (I'm not talkin' 'bout the nice cutthroat you caught). Welcome to the rabbit hole!
  6. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +258 / 3
    Nice fish, and good luck with the salmon.
  7. brettgaba New Member

seattle, wa
    thanks! went back this morning and had the beach to myself. no fish though. didnt even see anything jumping.