1st Steelhead on the fly

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jason.allen, Mar 10, 2011.

1. I went out last weekend and caught my first steelhead on the fly. I have gone out about 6 or 7 times and have never had any luck and not even a strike. This past weekend, I had 3 fish on and was able to bring one native to hand. I can say that I am now addicted and will be trying to get out every chance I can.

2. We are all addicted, you have just crossed the line where no rehab will bring you back.

Congrats!

3. Jason, congrats on a nice fish. If you mean "wild" when you posted "native" and you were in Washington, then just be aware of the Washington laws about removing wild steelhead from the water. Not saying it makes sense but it is the law and posting pics of wild fish out of the water tends to draw live fire...

4. Very Good Jason, nice fish!

5. Congratulations.

6. Congrats Jason

7. nice fish

Congrats

8. doesnt look like a hatchery fish to me but i cant be sure.

congrats on the steelie, but no more illegal pictures for the interwebs ok?

if u want to show us ur fish, show it to is in the water plz

9. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!! Tell us about the fight , Would love to hear the story!

10. Look, I apologize for lifting the fish out of the water. However, I truly feel the fish would have been damaged by leaving it in the cloudy water and mud from the fight. I simply lifted it out and gently put it back in the river. The fish faught pretty well but not like the one I had on earlier. Surprisingly this fish hit the size 10 stone fly and not the dropper behind it. It gave me a few runs up and down the river and came out of the water once. Then I think it realized I deserved to catch my first steelhead and reluctantly came to shore. Overall I would say it was a great weekend. My buddy also hooked up on a 33"+ Steelie in the same spot the day before.

11. jason: you did well.

Now you know for next time. We live and learn to the best of our abilities.

12. Great job Jason I want to see the pic. no judgment here we have all lifted fish definitely our first one. I wont cast the first stone.

13. Congrats and welcome to the addiction!

14. Very cool, I will have my first one to hand next week. Congrats

15. i envy you man. can't wait to catch my first metalface

16. You are probably right. It only seems logical to lift them out of the water so you can handle them easier and put them back. Unfortunately some of the people on this and other forums will absolutely chastise you for it, even though you're just getting into ff-ing. You have now caught exactly 1 steelhead more then they will likely see in their lifetime- good work.

17. sweeet, welcome

18. I didn't think anyone gave Jason a particularly hard time about his fish handling, just good advice that can keep him from getting a ticket, and better for the fish too. If you are worried about harm to the fish. bring it to hand in slightly deeper water. Can't think of many things that'll spoil the satisfaction of catching a nice fish more than paying a fine for it.

Seems to me your comment was uncalled for, and harsher than anything anyone said to Jason.

BTW Jason, good on ya for your first steelie!

19. I dont think a warden will write somebody a ticket for lifting a fish out of the water and quickly snapping a pic and releasing it. Its usually the dumbasses that beach the fish and than keep it out of the water for too long that will get the ticket. It amazes me how quickly miss manners has to correct some body about this. He could have legally killed that fish.

20. He could of legally killed it? I thought it was a native. I guess i was just assuming this wasnt an OP river. maybe im incorrect.

and im not trying to pick on him for taking the fish out of the water. but i hold everyone to the same standards. Again, i cant be sure that this was illegal and It seems like you have the fishes interest in mind.

But, i find it amazing how half the threads on here are all "thumbs up u did so good" vs "omg u took the fish out of the water"

there is a really a double standard around. do a search and check it out if you dont believe it. Would like to know if it was legal to harvest this fish and lift it. if so NO problem at all. Just be aware as a newer steelhead that this picture would be illegal in many of the northwest rivers.