1st Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Rob Bodkin, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Rob Bodkin Member

Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi all,

After almost 2 years and countless trips/forays across the state and back I finally landed my 1st Steelhead!

I floated the Grande Ronde this weekend with some great guys and a really great guide and managed to land 3 fish as well as get one to rise to a dry. Heaven.

Until this weekend these fish were like Unicorns to me, I had heard of them, glimpsed one or two but wasn't really sure if they were real. Now I see why you steelhead guys become junkies to them.

I really appreciate this site and all of the great tips and camaraderie. A pretty nice community.

Tight Lines,

Rob
  2. Wayne Jordan Active Member

Ratings: +14 / 0
    Nice going! That's all the incentive I need to make my first trip over there next week. Any pointers or suggestions as far as what to use would be greatly appreciated!
  3. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Port Orchard, Washington, USA.
    RiverFishing

Man, what a beautiful fish and what a great place to get it at! Last year two friends and myself spent a day down there but hit a day when no one seemed to be turning up anything - they each had one strike (which they each missed) and I had one boil just under my fly but not take it - October Caddis, riffle-hitched. Nevertheless, what a fantastic place to give it a serious try!

I'm curious who you went with (guide), and I'm assuming you fished somewhere between Troy and Boggan's. We were with Dennis and Mike Dickson, and even though we didn't hook up that day, I learned a ton from them.

Congrats to you...

Mike :thumb
  4. Fish Stick New Member

Congratulations Mike! That's a beautiful fish. Welcome to the slippery slope. Steelhead are like heroin. Now you'll be ever in search of your next hookup. Enjoy!

DP :thumb :beer2
  5. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

RiverFishing

DP...

Just wanted to point out that it was Rob who got a steelie today, not me (Mike).

I wish...;-)
  6. Fish Stick New Member

DOh! Yeah, congratulations Rob! ...and of course, good luck to you, Mike. :)
  7. Rob Bodkin Member

Mukilteo, WA
    Yes, we floated with Dennis and Mike Dickson. They were really great, I learned a ton and felt really comfortable with them.

That fish took the fly I used most, a small purple bugger with a brass cone head. Most of the guys who hooked up used very simple flies. One of the other's took the same fly in black.

When I left Sunday morning (around 0400) it was raining pretty good and that should help as the river was pretty low. Good luck on your trip.

Rob
  8. Wayne Jordan Active Member

Ratings: +14 / 0
    Thank you very much for the information! Again, nice fish!
  9. gotchasr Member

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    Nice fish, congratulations!! I just got my first a couple of weeks ago, and I'm still feeling the effects.
  10. flyrodf New Member

everett, wa, usa.
    Way cool!!!
    I am going out with Dennis oct 17-19, and I was wondering if the steelhead would be up from the Snake River yet.
    I have only caught 1 steelhead so far, so I am really looking foward to the trip. Great to hear your report!
    flyrodf
  11. pwoens Active Member

Spokane, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Congrats!!!

Which section did you float??

~Patrick ><>
  12. Rob Bodkin Member

Mukilteo, WA
    We floated from Bogans to upper shoemacher (spelling?). I met a few buddies at the take out and they fished there the next day and did quite well, though there were a lot of other people there. They got a nice dose of rain Saturday night and Sunday and that should draw some more fish in.

Good luck.
  13. pwoens Active Member

Spokane, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    You gotta love the Ronde!! Im surprised the fishing is that good this early?? :dunno

Its just crazy what these fish do to you mentally!!

~Patrick ><>
  14. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

RiverFishing

By no means am I close to an expert on the Grande Ronde, but last year we were there about the 10th of October. Dennnis and Mike (Dickson) had already been there about a week, and reported that very early in the month there had been some rain and the first push of steelies had moved through pretty quickly. Then, the river dropped again, and so the fish had begun to stack up at the mouth waiting for the next flush. This put us there at that slack moment.
    That was last year, but it seems to suggest that the fish are capable of being in that river pretty early - late September, even.
    That's just what we were told. I believe Dennis has spent most of his Octobers there for several years now, so there's probably some science to it. I haven't been back since and now that I'm a wetsider it'll be a long shot that I'll be back anytime soon, but I sure think it's an awesome and beckoning place.
    Best of luck when you go...

Mike
    :thumb