1st Timer's Swap?

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by cmtundra, Feb 25, 2005.

1. cmtundra New Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi all. I've seen several "Beginners" fly swaps here. I tried to get in on 2 or 3, but was always too late...always beat out by a fellow "beginner" :p who's already submitted flies in 42 other "beginner" fly swaps over a 3 year time span. I'm just wondering when a person stops being considered a "beginner". Half those flies look like they're tied by certified Orvis tying instructors. :p Ok, these comments are intended in fun, only because I'm jealous due to my sloooowww learning curve, but nonetheless.
    SO....I'd like to do a 1st Timer's swap. If you've EVER submitted flies in a swap before...FORGEDDABOUDIT!!! If you've ever sold flies before...FORGEDDABOUDIT!!! If you're a certified Orvis Tying Instructor or have any fly-tying books authored by you...FORGEDDAB....ok you get the point. If you think you tie one UGLY-ass fly, then I want you! In fact let's rename this the "Ugly-Ass Fly Swap"...uhhh on second thought maybe that won't fly. So 1st Timer's Swap it is. The idea, of course is to draw out the hidden talent of our true beginners who've been intimidated by the quasi-beginners. I do, in all seriousness expect some great flies, except mine, which more than likely, will truly be ugly...even as ugly as my first wife. Oooohhh. :eek:
    So let's have it. Who wants in? I'm one.
    If one of the oldtimers (REE?) wants to take on the swapmeister role, you can most certainly have it (PLEEEAAASE?). If not, I'll take it on. I'm pretty good at organizing stuff, I just suck at tying flies.
    Ready, set, go!
  2. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I'm in ;) :cool: <<<<<< just kidding, OK????
  3. Bob Triggs STOP KILLING WILD STEELHEAD!!!!

Ratings: +525 / 0
    I didnt think she was so "ugly"...did you Davy? :confused:
  4. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Bob-- Mr. Tundra has higher "standards" apparently than fish dawgs like us.He evidently traded "up"

I can remember days in AK when the halibut started gettin pretty blue eyes,, :thumb: :cool:
  5. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    CM,

Sorry Buddy. I have two months to go on the Marathon Swap and that has me pretty busy. I only like to run one swap at a time.

Sounds like a fun swap though. I'm sure there are some others out there that are itching to get some experience tying for a swap.

REE
  6. cmtundra New Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    :rofl: :rofl: I'm sure plenty o' guys out there would know. And yes, I had the wisdom to trade-up. After 10 years of barely providing the minimal, routine maintenance, the new model still runs like a dream and is always dependable. I don't even feel the need to shop around for trade-ins anymore.

Ron Eagle Elk, Thanks anyway. Thought I'd offer out of respect. Not that I'm really do anything new that you haven't done already -just trying to lure some of the more hesitant folks (like me) into action.

Takers?.....hmmmm Davy Earl, yeah you had some pretty nasty looking flies, we'll take you....NOT!! You can sure run it if you want? Or post the Pics? Or maybe you could enter if you like promise to tie only using your toes and teeth, or some kind of a suitable handicap. ;)
  7. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Thx CMT,was just jokin, I would run it and take pics, but am I tying in a swap currently elsewhere,I am doing a fly plate as well as need to tye about 2 dozen flys for other guys I have promised flys to.Like, Jerry, and Jeremy, and Dave, and Bud and................ :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ah hell, I'll do it . Never have, maybe REE can give me pointers for being a swapmeister :beathead:

Not like I have a job or anything, :rofl:

talk later, davy
  8. cmtundra New Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Sweeet!! -and I was just kidding about the nasty flies, of course.
    Was that a for real, serious decision? I'd proudly call you swapmeister.

Of course, if there are no takers this'll be a real easy swap to "meister". I'll just tie a baker's dozen flies, and you can mail them back to me. :rofl:

Nahh, I'm sure we'll get some interest...probably after the weekend. Now I'm all excited & giddy with anticipation.

I'll help in whatever way you need. I've never done this either, but I figure if REE can do it then, .....ahhh I'd better not go there. :p
    Thanks, thanks, thanks. Talk to you soon.
  9. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +162 / 5
    OK, I'm in. Since Randy is twisting my arm. I should qualify for the UAF (ugly ass flies) catagory. I just started tying a couple of months ago and have never been in a swap. Any particular type or "dealers choice"?
  10. roadhog professional freight relocator

spokane valley wa
    how beginner do you have to be? My 8 year old son has been tying for about 6 months. He really knows how to tye buggers and mickey finn's, so if these are ok he would like to join in. If these are not ok let me know and I can help or teach he some different ones.
    thanx
    gridkid and son, Arik
  11. cmtundra New Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Could we get a consensus on the type of fly for the swap? -Swapmeister, please feel free to weigh-in here.

I'm happy to leave it wide open to whatever type of fly the tyer (tier?) wants to tie. But, if folks want to limit it to say, streamers, or drys, or steelhead flies, etc...that'd be fine by me too. What's everyone think?

Gridkid, are you in on this, or just your son, Arik? That'll make it 3 or 4 people...off to a good start. BTW -I'd love to have Arik show me up in this swap. As long as: He isn't a certified Orvis Tying Instructor; He doesn't have any Fly Tying books authored by him, and he's never entered a swap before. Fair enough?

Islander, welcome aboard...."UAF" heeeheee, love those acronyms. :rofl:

I'm piping in here a lot, but of course, I'll defer all these decisions to the honored "Swapmeister" , Davy Earl. :thumb:
  12. craigmtb New Member

Auburn, Wa
    I am in, but I want fishable uaf's. Let me know how it works. How many, and where do I send them? Is there a theme: species, nymph, dry?
  13. Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Monroe, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I'm In Too! I've only been tying a few months and this sounds great. Let me know what type of flies you need. Here's an idea for the swap. Everyone needs to learn one new fly for this swap in addition to one they feel comfortable with. This will give people the chance to branch out a bit and try something new.
  14. I'll do this one. Never been in one before. Any rules or no rules is okay with me.
  15. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ok, I woke up finally after a , well after,,...... :thumb: nevermind,

I like Passman' idea, but heres my grand dilusion; :ray1:

I was thinking you all each tye your favorite fly,( or you could all agree to sumthin) I will keep things in order as they come in and when the flys are sent out I will make sure the fly I tye is the one matching what each person sent in--only in the way I would tye it ,ofcourse.

So each person would get pack a fly from each participant plus my version of what they sent in.

How does that sound to you guys, this is your swap I am merely at your service, :rolleyes:

If we did two flys,well, that would put some strain on me to tye that many unless we stretch the time frame out quite a bit. :beathead: :beathead: :beathead: :beathead:

What do we need for time 6 weeks? 4 weeks? 8 weeks?

As way of a suggestion I would recommend like a deerhair caddis (not EHC), you get tailing,palmering,dubbing,ribbing,winging,and head formation skills.

Not sure where you all are in your tying.

Can we get 12 takers?

off to get aspirin,

Davy
  16. cmtundra New Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    I like the favorite fly concept...especially since you're throwing in a nice kicker. I agree, 2 flies might be a little much for a 1st Timer' Swap, one is fine by me. (BTW-Davy, ignore the PM response I sent you a few minutes ago. I sent it before I read these posts, & I think your newest post & the responses pretty much handle the details we PM'd about.)

As for time-frame, I'm OK with a month. Does anyone need longer? Speak up if you do.

Craig-yes, they'll be fishable wiseguy ;)

...looks like we might be at 7 :thumb:
  17. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ok :)

So ,favorite fly X participants ( currently that would be 7 flies each) *I only 5 but others say 7*

I will keep track as things come in and and will tye a like pattern that will be returned along with each participants fly's

Be nice to get twelve tyers for an even dozen selection of flys plus mine

Really the only "rules" are you have to a true begining tyer, no former swap participation, only maybe a few weeks tying under your belt, or even a week on the other end is fine as well.

There are "no" bad flys

As you tye I suggest you put each fly,in order, in foam so when you are done you can review them and see your "learning curve" from #1 to done.

Leave it open until the 10th of March or 5 more tyers which ever comes first

Due date to me is the 10th of April ( please feel free to be early getting them to me)

Please put toe tags on the hooks with your name and fly name

Enclose return postage and mailer for your fly assortments to be sent back ( Altoids tins are good for this)

I will post pics of all- unless specifically requested not to

We all know about volunteering, :beathead: :beathead:

I am happy to do this,

I look forward to all your work,

Happy Tying

Davy
  18. cmtundra New Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    How about a big group hug to show our appreciation to Davy!! ;) :D
  19. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    not so hard,!!!!!! I have " bone issues" you know :beer2: :beer2:

It will be almost summer when this is done so maybe for the somewhat local participants we can have a streamside picnic or sumthin, huh?

Maybe Mr.Triggs would show us a beach to have this on and we could fish too ??

that might get my wife and me over there Mr. Triggs ( hint hint) with Olives even

davy
  20. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ok we have two new entries, Sinktip and his son are "in"

That makes 7 for sure and perhaps 9

Davy