1st Timer's Swap?

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by cmtundra, Feb 25, 2005.

1. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

Media:
    Concession speech

Johnny Cochran & me talked...turns out he's a gear chucker & wasn't interested in a share of the take on Davy Earl's surprise & IBNs Skwalas, & since I sure don't have any cash to give him....suppose I'll have to concede on this one. Darned Iowa coins anyway. If it'd been an Ohio coin I'm sure things'd have been different. :confused:
    So, Congrads IBN! :thumb:
    Thanks for the extra incentive Davy & doing such a good job as the swapmeister.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well mine are done, all 13 of em. The last one took twice as long as the first one to do. Something about getting them all done seems to work that way for me. Was gonna tie another set but my fingers quit. Will have em your way Davy Just as soon as I can get off my butt and on my feet.

Jim

3. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    :thumb: :thumb:

Ok Jim ,thanks !!

4. Sinktip

Sinktip Monty

Media:
    If only the line at McDonalds moved just a little bit faster.....?? :(
    I guess I should have known that the double cheeseburgers weren't enough to "sway" the all mighty swapmiester!
    I have about 12 calls into the postmaster generals office in DC and they said that there seems to be some issues with the validity of the post marks on both IBN's and Cmtundra's packages!! :hmmm: Evidently, the "Blonde Factor" is to blame. :eek: The carrier failed to notice that any package that is not labled express is to be held for at least 48 hours before delivery and any packages received prior to that time frame are subjuct to immediate seizure. :eek:Therfore, the FBI will be arriving shortly to pickup both packages and impounding them until the 48 hour rule has been enforced!! It also seems that Ken Starr is going to come out of retirment to head up a Federal investigation into how those packages could have possibly beat me to Davy's house!! :p :p

Davy, Congrats on a successful trip to Calif. ptyd :beer2:. I think that all this drama about who got what where and by when seems a bit much for a chewed up dog toy prize. ;) The flies look great. I noticed my fly seems to be a little fuzzy. Man, I just can't get break can I. bawling:

Monty

BTW, Moe's flies were done before mine. She had me beat by a couple of days.

5. Islander

Islander Steve

OK Guys, mine are finally done and in the mail as of yesterday afternoon. I was tying Carey Specials but ran out of peacock hearle. The book I got the pattern out of said chenille can be used as a substitute. I had this green/brown/flash stuff so I used that. I didn't want to send a batch of part chenille part hearle so I finally got some more hearle over the weekend and finished them up. So I sent one of each style and a pair for the "Swap Meister". My wife said the chenille I used looked like camoflage. So I named the variation the "Camo Carey". I thought it would be good to test them out (even though I had already sent them) so I went to Lone this afternoon for a couple of hours. I tied the Camo Carey on my sinktip and did a slow troll with some short strips. WAM, something takes it hard and goes straight down then brakes me off. Of course I only had one :beathead: I tied on the regular Carey and hooked up three more, one LDR and two to hand. Needless to say I will be tying some more Camo Carey's tonight. A big thanks to Davy for putting this together.

6. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Got em' all done. Now all that needs to be done is to make some nifty looking toe tags, box em' and mail em'. Oh yeah, and don't forget to dab a spot of head cement on em' too!

7. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    I got Islanders Careys yesterday- :D

unfortunantly, I went fishing ---- ummmm,, he will have to tye some more for the swap==it seems they really do work and my leaders are rotten :ray1: -- Ok, Ok ,J/K

Nice work ! An often overlooked pattern these days.Also an under appreciated summer steelhead fly ( try ribbing the peacock with red foil or holografic tinsel-- Bon Apetite' to a Methow steelie! ). :thumb:

Update soon- back to sleep for me

davy

8. Romko

Romko Member

Got all mine done. Monday they're in the mail. ;)
    And now - ptyd :beer2: party time

9. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    iagree :beer2: I'll drink to that ........ 'course I will drink to just about anytheeeng.

Look watch for them, great job

yours will make about half of them done!

I think Atomic Dog may be done too, but the Postal Service is holding his in the "containment room" -- somthing about "glowing" substances in his package. :thumb:

Davy

10. Loren Towne

Loren Towne New Member

This swap still open? If s olet me know and I'll get right on it

11. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Hi Loren, unfortunantly yes it is closed, we are half done.

Perhaps we will have a 2nd Timers Swap :thumb:

Hmmmmmmmm :ray1:

I am so busy over the next 3-4 months though that I doubt I could do the swapmeister thing again till the late fall-.

davy

12. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Media:
    I finished my flies this morning. Hopefully I'll have them in the mail on monday or tuesday. I'm having a tough time finding a lead-lined mailing envelope so we'll see.

I had never tried tying hare's ear nymphs before, and I also tried tying a smaller size than I'm used to (sz 14) so some of them definitely fall into the UAF category. I think they'll still catch fish, though...I hope. :hmmm:

13. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    I'll warn my mail lady to handle your package with great care , :rofl: :rofl:

:beer2:

davy

14. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Hellow swappers :beer2:

Mr. Atomic Dogs flys arrived yesterday- and belive me they are "green" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I always thought that was just the movies --but that Hanford stuff really must glow green.

J/K, he tyed us up some "choice" olive green hares ears. :cool:

Heres the list as of this morning ( Wednesday ,23rd)

1. Cmtundra -- IN

2. Islander- IN

3. Grid Kid -

4. CraigMTB -

5.Passman -

7.Sinktip - IN

8.Tanner

9.Monique- IN

10. John James -

11. Romko -

12. Atomic Dog- IN

13. ibn- IN ( need more IBN, it's Skwala season and I went fishin) :( sorry :thumb:

Thats about it from swap central, I'll be watchin for "goodies" from those in bold.The rest of you can go fishin.

Except Sinktip, if I can't go, you can't go. :clown: :beer1:

Back to burning my eyeballs on #22 micro mayflys and lightning bugs. :eek: :eek: :eek:

And now I have to tie some "white" Hares Ear's too. People in California fish with some strange stuff- yes indeed, very strange. I think they just use the flys to hold the bait on longer. :rofl: :rofl:

TL everyone - Davy ,the Swaporama

15. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

Media:
    1/2 in!

Davy -Lemme' know if ya' wanna send summa da' boys over to the slackers' n' givem' a little incentive....if ya' know whud I mean. :p

JK..y'all have a few more days before we send in "da boys".

In all seriousness....This swap has been a good learning experience for me. I tie my flies in a much more disciplined way now. I'd have to say that my fly tying has improved more this month than it has since I first started tying. hoorah!
    Since tying my swap flies, I've done 10 #14 BWO Duns; 6 #16 Elk Hair Caddis; 6 #12 Adams; 6 # 12 Adams Parachutes. These are all patterns I never tied before. Tying multiple flies of the same pattern really does help you improve. I'd heard several people say that, but I never actually did it until the swap made me do it.
    I've also decided to somewhat master the "traditional" flies first & actually take the time to tie all those "beginner" flies in the front of my fly tying book -you know the ones that are supposed to teach you all the basic skills you need to be a good tyer. Before, I always skipped that "boring" stuff so I could tie up some flashy salmon or steelhead fly. Salmon & steelhead flies are fun & pretty & all, but there really aren't too many rules for tying them. After all, they really don't have to look like much of anything. So the next few weeks I'll be tying away on my new vise all the golden oldies & then I'll move onto some bigger and better things. It's been a fun trip so far.

Thanks again Davy, and oh yeah-I liked the pics you posted of your wife & you on the Yak. Hope I can have my wife as a fishing partner when I retire...she's not my fishing partner yet, but I'm working on it. Anybody know any good Jedi mind-control tricks?

16. craigmtb

craigmtb New Member

flies are done just gotta send em.

17. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    :thumb: :beer2: I'll drink to that !!

davy

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Hey Davy, Aren't mine in. :confused: Those ugly green flies with the black bead head.

Jim

19. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    I am confident they are all trying hard and will finish. This has gotta be tough on some of the folks. I really appreciate the tribulations you ALL have gone thru.

Probably don't know how happy that makes a darn near born tyer and teacher like me feel,, but anyway==

Yes, I knew it would help all of you- when I used to teach my classes- "homework" involved tying preferably 12 of the previous classes pattern and mounting them in "order" so the students could see the learning curve and I could help them improve while at the same time improving themselves.

I often go back and tye my old traditional quill drys or other " normal" patterns- just to keep my skills.

My first commercial order "ever" was for 12 dzn #12 and 14 Ginger Quills- from a guide and driftboat dealer in Southern Oregon- I still go back and tye those things every so often.

I could take issue with the "simple" steelhead thing but not here. It's all what you put into it. For some, this sport is all about the solitude, the sporting aspect, the casting, in some cases, the image, family time, the water- and a myriad of other reasons, but for me it is about the Flys and their dressings.

She is my main fishin partner and really is the one that "wants" to get out and fish ( warmer months only). Life doesn't get any better than the days she and I spend fishing together. I wish my health was better ( and hers too) -I would row her around more often. She gets as excited about any 10" trout today as she did back in the day when she first caught a fish- let alone a hog of some type- last spring when she got that big ol Yak pig she was literally crying with joy when we netted it. :thumb:

And I won't even get started about the first time she saw and fished the McCloud in California. :thumb:

:ray1: I know of no "tricks" just gotta happen, can't force it.

Jeez, that took alot of work and now am in need of a drink refill , :beer2: :thumb:

( and besides, atleast some of this post should earn me some "home" points, so maybe I can buy that new 17' driftboat ) - :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

thanks for the encouraging the team

TL/ Davy

20. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

Media:
    Nahh, I didn't really mean it to come out that way. I couldn't tie half the steelhead flies you do and none of them with the same quality. It just seems there's a lot more room for "artistic license" with salmon & steelhead flies, & "artistic license" is something I can wait to use until I've at least established myself in the basics. When I first started Flyfishing and tying in Alaska, 90% of what I fished for was salmon. Coming from a gear background, I knew that people caught salmon on everything form a piece of yarn, to a spin&glow, to a herring, to a bead, or a corkie -in a wide variety of unnatural colors. So, when I started tying, I tied all kinds of crazy self-made inventions that were mostly gawd-awful ugly but I didn't think so at the time. I'd tied a bunch of flies, but I really hadn't learned anything except what I'd already learned the first day -how to wrap chenille and palmer hackle crudely. A couple of those flies actually performed well & I still keep them around, but mostly I've thrown them in the trash. So, I finally came to the realization that I'd jumped head first into artistic expression but had never paid my dues to learn how to actually tie a decent fly. So, here I am -ready to tie all those traditional flies which I'd previously always bought at the shop because they were too complicated. I'm sure I'll tie up some steelhead flies soon enough, but I've got enough for a little while. So, there's the philisophical tale of one fly-tyers journey.