1st Timer's Swap?

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by cmtundra, Feb 25, 2005.

1. cmtundra New Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Kudos to Tanner for doing twice the work as the rest of us. :thumb: I wish some of the high paid "professionals" I deal with every day had that kind of commitment to service. Thanks Tanner...I'll be sure to fish your fly & give you my reports of success. I guess that means I'd better not lose it to a tree. It's a shame that Davy had to go through all that work of shredding that package all over his yard and feigning to search for woolly buggers just so he could have some flies to fish the Yak with...so Davy -they hittin' olive these days? hee-hee
    That's a good story though.
    Man, I haven't fished in several weeks now and it's really killing me. Worse yet, it'll probably be a couple more weeks before I get out. The flip-side is that I've tied quite a few flies. My new stone fly nymphs I think are the best I've ever done. Amazing what you can do when you bother to get the right materials.
    Sounds like we've got at least 12 sets of flies in. Can't wait! C'yall.
  2. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Passman has just informed me that his creations are in the USPS and will be in by tomorrow or Tuesday- just in the nick!!

And Tundra ?????- as beautiful as Tanners fly are , the dogs really did eat them ! Remember? I run a straight-up backdoor operation here. No monkey business here..... Somethin about oceanfront property in South Dakota???

But we did find 6 of the mangled ones and thanks to your little story, I will make sure those are the ones in your selection.....ehehehehe.

Just glad the dogs seem fine and can't even begin to mention what a great job Tanner did in handling this.

I will begin the sorting as soon as Passmans get here or Tuesday which ever is first. Wifes gonna help. We have little baskets spread out with all your names on em.

I think I can find all the flys by then???? Somehow a large amount of them are missing. hmmmmmmm

your humble servant
  3. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    BS, !!! :mad: I'm takin them fishin for myself, I ain't givin them to Old Man, no way ! He never catches anything anyway. What good would they be? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

....... :ray1: I think Jim is gonna end up with a jackpot of flys.

Thanks for helpin roll my driftboat over and move it on the stands today !!! If I could just devise ways to get you to come over more often ...I got all kinds of projects.....?... and a fridge full of beer :beer2:
  4. cmtundra New Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    "mangled" = "buggy" , right? The buggier the better!

I remember when I was about 10, my brother dumped a box of thumbtacks on our babysitter's back patio. They had this young, new husky that proceded to eat the entire box. That poor dog was just miserable. They spent a nice little chunk of change on stomach surgery for that dog. Fortunately he pulled through it quite well. My brother never admitted to the deed until a few years later, after we'd moved out of town. Glad your dog's ok.
  5. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    UPDATE 4/14/05 8:21 AM

Selections are all sorted and collated but not yet enveloped . I will probably :confused: have them in the mail this afternoon, if not then tomorrow first thing.

I still need to photograph each individual fly. I fished yesterday so I was delayed. :thumb: Fishin comes first,,,right??? :thumb: iagree :D

I cannot emphasize the quality of work you ALL put into this thing- congradulations are in order !!

It has been a priviledge :thumb:
  6. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    Ratings: +317 / 0
    C'mon Davy, you can just admit to us that you've been busy tying up replacements for all of our flies that you've been fishing with this last week...
    :rofl:

Can't wait to see 'em all!
  7. Troutt Change is a part of life... and fishing

Monroe
    Hi First timers,
    I did not see this until to late but have followed it and would love it if you posted a picture of what the final dozen looked like.
    Thom
  8. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    I will be , keep checkin
  9. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    All fly selections have been mailed as of 2PM Friday

Pics are posted in the separate link. Kudo's to all of you :thumb: , and thanks for putting up with me. I know it's tough. iagree

I hope it was fun for you all and this was only your first swap of many to come.
  10. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Got my flies, thanks Davy, you are the best swapmeister I've dealt with.

-I
  11. cmtundra New Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Sweeet! That means my "Dogbreath Buggers" should arrive tomorrow.
    Thanks Davy.
  12. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Mr. Tundra- you have the rare opportunity or distinction in that your selection is the dogbreath flys- imagine that. LOL

Actually , your selection does include a "dog" fly- made sure of it. But it's in addition to all the others.

IBN-- hows the deer hair? that's eastern Oregon Muley
  13. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Awesome, and thanks. I tied with it tonight, did some spun deer hair streamers to fish the upper yak with tomorrow. Good stuff!!
  14. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    good , I like it,, meat and liver was good too ,LOL ,

I have a pretty free schedule today ad I "fianlly get to have a nice relaxing day of tying "freestyle" I'll post what I come up with- think along the lines of "White Wedding" -- I have a tying buddy in Nova Scotia gettin hitched to a beautiful bride
  15. cmtundra New Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    :D :D YEaahh! I got my tin stuffed full of flies today. I got back a few more than I tied, I like the interest rates!
    Davy, I opened my package before I read your post about the Dogbreath Bugger. I knew as soon as I saw it what it was & started cracking up. The wife couldn't figure what the heck was so funny. The real good news is that the scent of Wintergreen Altoids apparently counterbalances dogbreath odor! I was fortunate enough to get 2 flies from Tanner. I guess your dog story checks out after all. Oh yeah, love the JC Caddis too!! I was admiring all the fine points of your tying -even bragged you up to my wife.
    To all that contributed, a big thank you. You've really made my first swap very enjoyable & the flies are awesome to boot. A special thanks to Jim/Old Man for his woven Green Rockworm donations, and a heapin' helpin' of gratitude to Davy, the grand pupa swapmeister!! This has been a cool experience.
    I just don't know what to do with myself now that it's all over... bawling:
    Guess I'll have to enter another swap!
    Cheers to all, back to homework for me.
  16. Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Monroe, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I got my flies yesterday! They are great, good job everyone. And a big thank you to Davy for putting it all togeather :beer2:
  17. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    Well I went over to his Davy's place of yesterday to help him relax. I did the relaxing as he kept feeding me his Rum. Stuff tastes like hell but kind of grows on you. Met Trevor over there and we sat around and shot the breeze for a good long while Got to see some interesting flies And sort of picked up on them tying a Green Butt Spey fly.

Yeah,I ended up with more flies. All I have got to say now is that I want to thank all of you that were in this swap and now I have way too many flies that I don't think that I can use for a while. And now I have to go out and buy some more bigger fly boxes so I can fill them up from the flies that I got this month.

Please don't send me anymore flies. I think that I have enough for the rest of my life now.

Jim
  18. I got the flies yesterday too Great looking flies, different patterns than what I usually have with me, I'll have to tie up a bunch of em' and try out And a big thanks to all who participated and to Davy who put it all together!
  19. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    just for the record - he kept asking for refills. Must not have tasted too bad. Ofcourse any rum is better than no rum.

Have to thank Trevor for the pizza as well !
  20. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    Hey Davy,where are they posted at. The pictures. I can't find them anywhere.

Jim