1st Trout on a Fly

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by SPAD, Apr 29, 2009.

1. SPAD New Member

Sedro Wooley, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hello,
    Yes I am a FNG. Today I finally landed my first trout on a flyline. I was on Cain Lake this morning. I had quite a few hits on this Black&Olive Woolly before I got the hang of bringing one in and landing it. One of these days I will be up at Pass Lake to find some of those Brown Trout I have been hearing about.

SPAD
  2. Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

lynnwood, wa
    good job SPAD. hope you land some big ones when your up their!

arthur
  3. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +685 / 0
    Good job! Nice fish. I'll bet if you asked how many folks caught their first fish on a fly on a woolly bugger a lot of digital hands would go up!
    D
  4. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +163 / 5
    Congrates, welcome to the addiction. My first was on a prince nymph (sorry Richard I'm sure your theory is still correct). Post up when you decide to head to Pass. I'm sure there will be one or more of us heading there also.
  5. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Wetside, Washington
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    Congrats. and well done. That is a great fish and truly earned.

I remember my first fly trout (first trout, too): six inch native rainbow on size 14 Royal Coachman, Mission Creek, B.C., 1955. I was 7 years old.

Ate'em.
  6. Jacob Peterson Member

Olympia, Washington
    Sorry my good fellows, first was on a royal wulff. First fly trout on a bugger though.
  7. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Well you are done now for sure Spad. My advice is to get rid of that fly rod, buy a Wii and don't go near the water. Oh! to late, Ok welcome to the club and good fishing.

Mike
  8. Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Monroe, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Hooray! Mine was on a Black Nose Dace @ Pass. But my second was on a woolley.

Congrats and welcome!! :beer2:
  9. Tim Morrison Member

coeur d alene ID
    my first was a cutt on a royal coachman out of the bitteroot river in lolo mt
  10. Jeremiah Baldwin New Member

WHIDBEY ISLAND
    Congrats SPAD!
    I'm right there with you.
    Spent last Saturday on Pass. My first time out fly fishing.
    Landed a 14 inch within my first 1/2 hour there on a Chironomid, ended up hooking 4 more and landing 3. One was about 16 inches; hit and fought like a madman(or is it madfish).
    I've been sucked into this type of fishing, can't wait to get back out there and try some different flys.

Tight lines,
    Jer
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,235 / 9
    Welcome SPAD, nice fish and great first results. For futuer photos consider using your tiny net...we will all be amazed at the massive bows you bring to hand. There will be many joyous and frustrating days ahead.
  12. Jim Hewitt Member

Bellevue, Wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Olive Wooly Bugger here.
    Congratulations on a fat first fish.:thumb:
  13. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
    Nice looking fish! Tell your woman congrats on her new life as a fishing widow :beer2:
  14. Casey Weed Greenhorn

Bothell, WA
    Contrats on the fish. My first was on a black BH woolly bugger as well, it wasn't near as big as yours though!
  15. tankiewiczj@kroybp.com HPIC

tacoma
    I think my first fish on a fly was a sunfish on a popper and cane pole at Kelly's Pond in Southfield Michigan - 7 years old....does that count? I think I got a whoopin' for getting into my dad's tackle box. I walked a mile home with that fish - alive - in a bucket. My dad looked at the pole and saw it had his popper on it and that was it for me. Well worth the lickin'!

JT
  16. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,404 / 0
    I can't remember my first fish on a fly. It might of been a dragon fly nymph being pulled behind a boat on a spinning rod. But then again I don't really remember?????????????????????
  17. Trent Ugly member

Here
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    My first, was on some dry fly I found in my grandpas old tackle box. Me and my brother tied it to a mono line that we had tied to a broken vine maple branch. We were fishin in this little creek that feeds into the Stilly through my dads property.
  18. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 1
    Great job! I got mine on a Royal Coachman with the wing behind the hackle on the North Fork Stilly. Always awsome to caught a fish on a fly, even now.
  19. Greg Price Love da little fishies

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +59 / 0
    Welcome and congratulations.

That is a fine fish.

My first was a small cuttie that smaked a small elk hair caddis dry fly.

I still love the Elk Hair Caddis, and just last year re-discovered the joys of fishing small moving water for small cutties on the EHC or other small dry flies.
  20. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Nice first fish on the fly!:thumb:

Congratulations...