2 fly rig for resident coho question ?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by cutthroat kid, Nov 23, 2012.

1. cutthroat kid

cutthroat kid cut throat kid

If I tie a lighter fly to my tippet and the then tie tippet from the bend in the hook from that fly, leading to a 2nd heavier fly like a 1 inch polychaete worm, how long should the length of the tippet be to the second fly ,so I can still get decent turn over on my line and presenation. ?

Is there a good website or utube vidio showing how to do this set up ?

2. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

3. cutthroat kid

cutthroat kid cut throat kid

so as long as the second fly is heavier than the first one ( like a small 1 inch polychaete worm ) and I tie a clinch knot to the bend in the hook from a light krill fly to the heavier polychaet fly, I should still be ok false casthing their , wont be too many tangles ?

I have never tried it before, but local fly shop suggested it today.

4. stilly stalker

Ive done it many times. Id actually consider a dropper loop and seperate tippet, combined with a more open loop cast to prevent snarls. This way, your hookup to land ratio on the 1st fly increases. Really for me, Im a one fly guy for the most part, gimme a clouser, or epoxy sandlance pattern and Im confident. If I was to want to fish a polychete or amphipod pattern, Id be using a very different retrieve, and would likely just fish a single fly.

5. stilly stalker

Stiff tippet material like Maxima chameleon helps a TON preventing tangles. Ultragreen is stiffer than most materials, but chameleon is VERY stiff and wiry and makes for the best leader material for this application

6. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Also your tippet to the first fly should probably be two sizes heavier to help with the turnover, this rig is more likely to have success with a slow varied retrieve. I think its a good searching rig, but overall I think its probably more of a pain. I would say to use the worm to search and if you see coho run down and cast a single amphipod on a 12 ft leader, floating line and twitch the shit out of it.

Also I think the two fly rig in open water is overkill, I'll fish a dropper system any day as long as its effective. In a river the weighted fly is to deliver the smaller fly, which is there to evoke that whole opportunistic response, and thats really the main reason I put up with more tangles. In the salt I think the reason people are trying two flys is to attract more attention when it is not needed.If you find feeding fish I'm sure they'll find your size 10 amphipod

Mark Mercer likes this.
  7. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I simply think your shop is trying to increase tippet sales.

I tried it a few years ago and didn't notice an increase in hook ups.

8. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Your line will turn over better if your first fly is a bit heavier than your dropper. Otherwise it kinda wobbles as it unrolls. 18"-24" is good.

9. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I've done this in tropical salt and also a lot in stillwaters, but not for coho so take it as it is. In both cases the size of the second pattern and the tippet length has not seemed to matter as much as my casting stroke or for that matter the speed of the rod I'm fishing. For example I attempted a double streamer pattern on my CT 4wt and it simply was not happening, tangle almost every time. The rod was just to soft. Stilly Stalker has great advice about opening up your loop and also not tying off the bend of the second hook. Try tying your tipped off of the eye of your first fly. Now for streamer patterns in the tropical salt, two flies have invoke strikes where one has not. Often times I'll fish a smaller food pattern in front and then tie something in the back that might eat that pattern. In either case it seems to trigger a competition gene in some fish and they will either eat/attack the back fly or try to eat the first before the other fish can.

Good luck.

10. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

In the 1990's I used a two fly setup when fishing for resident coho and quite a few times landed two fish at once. It seemed to happen when a fish took the first fly and the second fly was dangling behind the hooked fish. Resident coho are notorious for coming up behind a hooked fish to see what is going on or picking up the scraps that the hooked fish puked out. I used loops on the leader with a 3 to 4 inch dropper leaders for each pattern. The patterns had a tendency to tangle fairly easily. So I quit using the tandem setup. I normally used a Furguson Green/silver or clouser minnow as the front pattern and a krill pattern as the rear pattern.

This summer I started using tandem top water tube patterns for sea-run cutthroat but have not have any double hookups yet. The fish will chase after the front pattern but not as readily as the rear pattern. I used a 5 ft furled leader with 3 to 3 1/2 ft of 8 lb Maximum leader tied to the hook of the front tube pattern and 24 inches of 8 lb. Maximum leader tied to the back of hook of the front pattern then tied to the hook of the rear tube pattern. I used a tube sand lance skater pattern as the front fly and a tube Delia squid skater skater as the rear pattern. Most of the hookups were on the Delia squid skater pattern. I had very few tangles with this setup. If there was a tangle it usually was just aroung the hook of the front pattern and only took 2 to 3 seconds to untangle which was no big deal.

Roger

11. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    I tie the heavier fly in front
    gives the second fly more movement