2 handed help in Kitsap

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Nick Clayton, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

So I'm going to Jim Kerr's summer steelhead clinic this weekend, and have a 2 handed rod to play with, but have zero experience casting it except for playing around a couple times. Is there anyone in the Kitsap county area that could be talked into meeting with me for an hour or two this week and show me a few pointers? I'm just looking for some basics to get me going, so I don't look like a total moron this weekend. I work swing shift so would be available in the mornings-early afternoon.

2. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

Nick,

I would be able to provide you some direction. If you want to cast on the water Agate Pass?

3. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Nick, jump on floatinghat's offer. I can vouch for his ability to cast the two-hander.

Leland.

4. Nick Clayton

Agate pass would be ideal for me. I live in Suquamish so its just a skip down the road. I would really appreciate any help I could get.

Nick

5. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Hey Nick, your inbox is full and I lost your #..

6. Nick Clayton

Josh, just cleared up some room in my inbox. I got a new number this week, so I lost yours too. Had another phone crap out on me. PM me and I'll give ya my new one.

7. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

Nick,

Shoot me a PM if you want to meet tomorrow under BI side of the AP bridge about 9. I have two lines I want to try on a rod I bought about 2 years ago that I have never cast. BTW, Leland is a great guy but he must have me confused with someone else!

8. Nick Clayton

Big thanks to floatinghat for taking some time to show a newby a thing or two. I have a long way to go but he certainly got me heading in the right direction. Thanks a bunch!

Nick

9. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

Nick, Keep at it you are doing great. You where getting some great fishing length casts. In short time you will be doing the land a fish dance! Just remember the steps and the cadence 1-2-3-4.

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Nick, glad you are getting going. Floatinghat, great sharing of the skill! This is an awesome thread showing what WFF is about.

11. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Aww... so much love in the air, I'm getting all teary eyed ;)

12. Nick Clayton

Yep its pretty awesome that a person can just ask for some help and get it immediately. I still need to practice a ton, but at least now I actually have something to focus my practicing on! My casts certainly weren't as pretty as floatinghat's, but they were fishable and will hopefully only get better with time. Great example of what makes this forum so great.

13. kerr is the one who showed me the basics. He will set your right so you can make productive casts

14. Nick Clayton

Kerr certainly did set me straight. I surely have a long ways to go, but a short time with him and I was able to double spey at least well enough to fish. I'm sure it wasn't the prettiest thing in the world, but I was gettin the fly out there.

His summer steelhead workshop is some of the best money I have spent in a long time. Lots of fun, and very informative.

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Glad you had a great outing. I missed a prime chance to meet Mr. Kerr. I won't miss the next one.

16. Nick Clayton

I hope you don't Ed. It's definitely worth the money! And he is a great guy to boot. You won't regret it.

17. Did you catch any or see anyone catch any? :)

18. Nick Clayton

Only fish I saw caught were trout. However where we went on the river was not the best place to go in terms of finding fish. It was all about just getting a section of empty river to work on various techniques.

19. cutthroat? or smolt? I actually went to one of his workshops a few years ago.

20. Nick Clayton

I'm not totally sure. I was working on casting with a 2 hander, so I was a little ways away from the guys who fished smaller flies on single hand rods and were catching trout. I thought I heard someone say they were rainbows, but I'm not sure.

Nick