2 handers on the beach...disadvantages?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,123 / 4
    Curious if there are any real measurable disadvantages of fishing a 2 handed rod on the beach. I've decided to focus more and more time on fishing the beaches since they are so close, and being a single dad I like the fact that I can decide to fish and be on a beach in 10 minutes from my front door. Plus I can bring my son and let him fish/play on the beach too. Anyhow, been mulling over trying out a 2 hander since watching Mumbles gracefully shoot out miles of line with little effort. I know plenty of guys fish them on beaches, but I'm curious if there is any real disadvantage of a 2 handed rod for that application. Been considering selling/trading some other stuff to try and pick one up at some point, (After I've actually gone out and played with one hopefully), so I was just wondering if I sold/traded my current beach rod for a two hander if I would be limiting myself in any way by having that be my go to beach rod.

Nick
  2. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Hiya Nick....Ever think why not get a switch have the ability to do dble handed, single handed or spey?
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Dude, what have you been smoking/drinking/snorting/shooting. Set a better example for your young one and show him how to stay clean. Thanks for the very gracious exaggeration. How about I let you try my TFO 8wt switch setup and you can give it a whirl. I agree with Big_E that a switch could be good. You can single hand it, like he does. You can overhead it, better than I do. You can also do your two handed casts, like someone with talent would do. Free test drive man, I'm close, you pick it up, I'll let you drive it. We can work out all the necessary details. No sense in not trying before buying. If you are targeting SRC and smaller salmon this rod is too much rod, but you'll bring them in fast so they won't be tired. If you are targeting larger salmon then this one is a good size. I got it for the beach and rivers so I wanted one on the higher weight side.
  4. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +838 / 1
    Tell Ed that you'd like to test his Helios 7wt switch also. It will make the TFO feel like a rock.

Leland.
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Whoa there mister! Separation anxiety already! I've not even cast it myself yet. Don't you have a loaner...er you called it a prototype. Agreed though Nick, I don't know what the Helios 7wt vs the TFO DC 8wt weight comparison is, but the difference is immediately notable.

Offer still stands to test launch the TFO though, hope you understand.:thumb:
  6. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.

There are no real disadvantages to a two-hander on the beach unless you are thinking of doing speycasts off the beach with a spey line. If you think of a light two-hander, like an 11 footer, coupled with an Outbound line, you're talking the perfect beach rod. You can cast it two-handed overhead, or if the rod is light enough, single-handed with hauls. 80 foot casts are the norm, more if you're Big_E and Mumbles.

Leland.

Leland.
  7. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Let him touch it Ed....spread the contagion

:rolleyes:
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Nick, left or correct hand retrieve? I'll set up the reel for your preference with my Airflo 40+ two handed overhead beach line, it is an intermediate on one spool and a Rio Outbound floater on another. Should be albe to get a feel for it and cover your fishing situations too.
  9. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    I agree that the switches can be great beach rods if lined correctly. But there are many different kinds and they are all different animals. (Helios vs TFO for example)

I wouldn't think of using a true spey rod from the beach, seeing as it will wear you out faster than a switch. JMHO!
  10. floatinghat Member

near enough to Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Landing fish can be more challenging with a longer rod.

Matt, I have a true 12'6" spey (it's even made in Scotland) that won't wear you out. IMO, its a little slow for the beach, but I can cast it all day.
  11. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    not covering close range possible hook ups, but im a 2 hander:) what do i know
  12. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    I fish a Zaxis 5 wt switch from the beach. It handles nicely with a 6 wt Outbound line and can handle just about any fish I might encounter, save a few larger salmon but I wouldn't be fishing it if I was targeting bigger fish. The advantage is that I can cast it easily and all day without getting tired. For an old guy like me, that's essential otherwise I have to shorten my fishing days to a few hours.
  13. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Just a few weeks ago, I was casting large flies 60-80ft into and across the wind with my 8/9 switch rod lined with WF10 40+. That would be a serious challenge for my beginner self with my single handed rod. It's a relatively heavy rod, but casting two-handed is effortless. I think that the fish doesn't have any added leverage over a shorter rod because of the longer butt of the rod. Bringing in 15lb chum is relatively easy.
  14. garyl Member

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    The only disadvantage that I've found with the heavier switch rods is slack line control and the inability to strip in close. That probably isn't a problem with the lighter, more full flexing switches where you can do a single hand haul to get the head out or where they roll cast better, but with a faster action surf rod,I found it didn't roll cast the lighter overhead lines very well and they are a little heavy for single handing. I tried it down in Baja with the wind blowing 25 across my casting shoulder and constant wave action putting slack at my feet. It was a real problem getting rid of the slack for a back cast to load the rod. With a hard hat, I think that a single hander would have been preferable.

Might be my lack of coordination, but it's a lot easier to cast a two hander against a river current where you aren't stripping past the head. I don't find that I can get that much more distance over a good double haul with a properly matched single hand shooting head off the beach. If you are stuck on the beach without a boat, maybe if you put enough time in there are solutions, but I find that my two handed overhead experience wasn't that rewarding. Just my two bits worth.
  15. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,123 / 4
    Thanks for all the info everyone, I appreciate it. Seems maybe a switch would be the way to go. Ed I'd be glad to take your rod for a test drive, however I dunno if I would know what to do with it. lol I'm sure I could just play around for a while and see what I could come up with, it would certainly give me a feel for it if nothing else. Hopefully one of these days we can hook up and make that happen. (I'm left hand retrieve btw...) I honestly couldn't watch you cast and tell if you were experienced or not, since I know nothing at all about that world of casting, but what I did notice is that you were bombing out lengthy casts with little effort. That's appealing considering I've noticed that beach fishing wears my arm/shoulder out much quicker than river/lake fishing, and with the winds/waves etc. it would be nice to have that extra flexability.

Realistically I would probably be targeting SRC, silvers and chums, so I wouldn't need anything too powerful. Been thinking 7 wt would be the way to go, but I have a ways to go before I start seriously thinking about aquiring a setup anyway.
  16. TimHa Member

Redmond, WA
    I agree with the switch rod following. I went to a Sage Z-Axis 11' 6-weight right when they came out a few years ago and would never go back to a single hander from the beach. This thing has landed countless sea-runs, lots of coho, plenty of pinks, and quite a few summer steelhead. In heavy current, like the Narrows or Purdy, you can spey cast and in light current you can overhand cast it. I do a hybrid cast a lot, sending a spey cast out then shooting an overhead cast and can knock out almost all the fly line effortlessly that way. I probably fish this rod 70% of the time through the summer/fall months these days for either steelhead or saltwater use only gonig to a sigle-handed rod when trout fishing or fishing from my kayak.

Tim
  17. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Tim, that sounds about right. I have the ZA 5110 for src's and pinks and the 7110 for summer steel and others and it's really a great combo. Don't know if you'd really want to fish the 7110 for src's as it would be over gunned. But the 6110 might not be so bad. Although I don't know if I would want to land a chum on the 6110. But you can do it.
  18. Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

Tacoma, Wa
    Thought I'd bring this one back to life a bit being I have a sore shoulder from casting for SRC all day yesterday with my single handed rod. 6wt Xi2.

I have a Meiser 11' Switch. The number on it if that makes any difference is: S2H1165a'-4. Probably the main thing is the rod is rated for 400 to 550 grains.

What I'm wondering is what weight intermediate Outbound should I get for this rod. The grain weight thing confuses me some.
    Thanks...Kim
  19. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Kim,

I don't know and don't want to guess but I'm sure that Bob can tell you if you call or email him. I don't think you should have a sore shoulder from casting an Xi2. How's your mechanics?

Leland.
  20. Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

Tacoma, Wa
    Thanks Leland....Yeah my mechanics are probably a bit bad but the loops were fairly tight. I had another guy in my boat so I was trying to cast a bit cross shouldered to keep from killing him which might have caused the soreness. Then stupid me at the end of the day figured to just cast in the opposite direction and shoot on the back cast. Who would have thunk it to be that easy.