2 handers on the beach...disadvantages?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Oh my God, seven years ago there was only me and another guy casting a long rod off the beach into the salt water. Times have changed. There are no disadvantages one cannot overcome. As far as casting over the top of fish close to the beach, casting parallel to said beach and walking in the direction of the cast works and covers more ground. I like to walk all over the beach when hunting anyway. Line management is a bitch especially with flat mono running line. I used to use baskets but I liked how the resistance of the line coming out of the water helped turn over the fly. A basket will help get out past 120 feet but it really doesn’t improve your odds. A basket helps keep the salad off your line, but it doesn’t do anything for fouling up your fly so if there is a lot of salad, I bail out after I get tired of plucking it off. I think what is really important are the advantages. Small, heavy heads can keep you casting when all the other guys have been blown off the beach. I am running a fly through the water a hell of a lot more than the single handers. But the number one reason is that it is totally bad ass. Which, of course, outweighs any disadvantages.

So I have proposed something several times over the last seven years. A long rod clave on the salt water. In the past, usually the few that would even discuss it online, were too scared to actually meet. Seems like we could get a whole crowd out there now. Leland could bring the Orvis shop down and that way everyone could try all the rods available. Mumbles could supply doughnuts with his copious amounts of cash from pretending to work at work when he was really just writing on the fly site. And I’ll show up and make a fool of myself. It will be awesome!
  2. doublebluff Go Beavs

Corvallis, OR
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    I have been toying with the same question, and I appreciate all the perspectives.

I am thinking about a 5 weight in this rod for silvers from the beach, using a 6 or 7 weight intermediate sink line. I have almost no two handed experience. Any thoughts?

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/products/rods/twohanded.html
  3. pcknshvl Member

SEATTLE, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I can't help myself... I fish my 6/7 wt Scandi rod on the beach. I mainly do switch casts (the simple water-anchor cast that is the heart of the single spey), but I use a light enough head that I can OH it, too. I'll strip the head into the guides, waggle it back out, then roll cast it out to set up for the next cast. Just a little extra time spent between casts.

My biggest problem has been tangled running line. But it's fun, fun, fun, and you can cast a mile.

I typically use a 5/6 AFS floating head, or my Guidelines DDC system. Both heads are fairly short and light.

Good luck!

Tom
  4. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Kim I have his 11'7 5/6/7 switch, grain window is similar or close enough..for two hand overhead you can go up to the high end..Bob gave me a line with it, a scandi head welded onto a fairly thick running line for river and trout...I found it to be the most bad ass salt line i've tried...it's wt is around 550 and with the thicker running line it bombs out there...For an outbound line..i'm using an errr 11wt!!! yup, it weights in at around 480 or so I believe so is well within the window..effortless casting as well...

Matt, that's a fantastic idea!!! I am very new to this fishery...thanks to leland and others I have found a whole new world and enjoy it immensely...only wish I did more of it..but steelhead season gets me off on another tangent at times...I had heard and talked with guys who thought the switch or two handed rods were a waste of time...I have found they have saved my beat up shoulder, can cast for days let alone hours...and when the wind changes a cack hand cast still works decent while my left handed attempts were brutal...

Like anything it takes a little time to work out the kinks, biggest one was figuring out to slow down the forward cast as unlike a single hand rod, the bottom hand applies enough power to rocket the line out. When you try to overdo it, you'll tangle up...The enjoyment factor is amazing...now if I had a gillie to do my rinse off etc. it all would be good...

Agree on Mumbles...lots of coffee and donuts from that slacker!!!! Think we should make him the President of the salt water spey claves...all in favor :ray1:
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,327 / 9
    Mumbles is a pin head, does not drink coffee but has a weakness for donuts. Matt and Golfman65 are cruel in their criticism of such a fine lad.
  6. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Criticism? We all strive to be more like you...:thumb:
  7. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +828 / 1
    You know there have beeen spey claves ad nauseum, why don't we have a beach clave? Don't have to be where there are fish (hell there's never steelhead at the claves). Let's just cast single handers, two handers et al. off the beach.

Leland.
  8. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Great Idea Les, just wait til I learn to cast my twohander. Naw don't wait that's apt to be a while, with the rivers so high and as slow as I am. I'll just share in the donuts. Mumbles do you have a good donut shop? They're hard to find. Bob
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Okay, I'm at home now, more focused on the words you all are saying and they are all good. Hell yes, why not find a beach, preferably one at a county or state park that has not had its gates locked due to fiscal restrictions. Maybe there should be regular anglers, that can show us what they do. I'm thinking how cool it is to watch a guy like Stonefish make one roll cast of his 40+ or Outbound (not sure which he uses), waterhaul to backcast and 3, 2, 1, LAUNCH. His technique is so amazing that I've sat and watched him effortlessly put out I don't know how much line that presents onto the surf as if he were after the most skittish trout in a gin clear low flowing freestone stream. If Matt Burke is there with his long knocker he can show us how he overheads that bad boy for hours on end, I've heard he fishes run after run on rivers overheading and I'd like to see that too. There has to be some comedy in such a show, and I'll gladly step up to the plate, eat a few donuts (Bob, is there such a thing as a bad donut?) and show you what little I know and everyone can have a little chuckle on fat gilligan. Of course there are many more with far better ideas than I can come up with, and who cares if there are no fish around? I did not see anyone catch any fish out of Tye Lake at the Jimmy Green Memorial. If I can fit such an event on the calendar I'll be there for sure. Who's in charge? Bob? Leland? Golfman65? Burke?

Those of us on the correct side of the Sound likely know a place where there is a park, enough beach at just about any tide, the likelyhood of good current from the left or right at most hours of the day...and an off chance for a resident coho or sea run cutthroat.

But I'm not telling you where until someone comes up with the donuts.
  10. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    I think that sounds like a fabulous idea!! I really need to learn how to OH cast the longer rods, and it would be great to see the masters in action. And you CAN'T beat donuts!!! Great idea Matt. I just hope it's on a day I can make it, as I'm away for work a lot. Any ideas for dates?
    It would also be great to try some different lines on the various speys and switches to maybe get it dialed in better.
    Maybe around the narrows for the rezzies?? Any other thoughts?
  11. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Let's pick a day and a beach somebody, probably just after Thanksgiving and let's see what happens. I'm better for a weekday. How's about a Kitsap beach?

Leland.
  12. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Okay Mumbles, you're on! I'm in and I'll bring some of the donuts and some coffee. You didn't hear me say bad donuts . You've heard the saying good, better, best, it's just hard to find the best ones any more, too many mass production shops now. I can't cast well and have to learn spey casting but with your expertise for me to watch I''m bound to gain a lot. I'll bring both outfits and play around and give you a bad time. That sound okay we'll see if we're both up to the challenge. Maybe I can get Leland to bring sone of his poppers for me to buy and then show me how to fish them if he would. I'm hopeing to make it to the Orvis shop sometime soon but don't know when. Pick a date and beach, After thanksgiving I'm open untill the 15th any day. Bob
  13. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    I'll bring a couple Helios rods and lines. I'll bring Krispy Kremes if you'd like.

Leland.
  14. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    How about a Fishing Friday? That is my only week day off. I have a Kitsap beach or two in mind, but if there are other locations more accomodating for a group then I'm game.
  15. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Friday's fine by me, I see a coupLe or 3 in my time frame. Leland, You're going to make me ashamed of my gear and never satisfied with mine again. Of course that's going to be okay and don't go out of your way to get krispy cremes they are on my way and I'll try one or two others to see if i can get a different selection. I don't intend to bring tons but I should do my part. Mumbles fimd us a good one with lots of room so we don't kill each other, although so far it's just us three responding. I sure more will come as soom as we set the date. Bob
  16. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    I'm in. Fridays are good.
  17. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Friday is a big day in the retail world and I am definitely out. I can do this coming Monday and Wednesday. When I get to the shop in a couple hours, I will see if I can schedule the following Friday, the 4th off.

Leland.
  18. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

I wasn't even concidering until after black friday I understand retail that day. Do what you have to do. As far as i'm concerned just pick a friday with the best weather. Ha Ha Bob
  19. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Bummer, Friday mornings are occupied. I could be south sound/kitsap by noon, but traveling from Everett and there would be a 50/50 chance I have to be at work by no later than 3 in seattle. But hell, I'd drive mass hours to play for a couple minutes.
  20. Kim Hampton Not Politically Correct

Tacoma, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'll come. I'm free everyday until around the 7th or 8th of December. Then it's back to work but depending on the schedule I can probably sneak away from that.