2 man pontoon - usable by 1?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by sjsienna, Sep 11, 2007.

1. sjsienna

sjsienna New Member

So I have been researching pontoon boats and have decided that I think a 2 man version would be the most versatile -- can go out together with a buddy, and can set it up for 1 man use when only I will be going out.

My question: how maneuverable is it likely to be? I realize it will be larger and thus likely more awkward than a smaller 1 man version, but by how much? I'd like to use it on flat water, as well as rivers - some maybe heavier water (N Umpqua may be an example of where I'd *like* to take it).

I have been looking at the Scadden/North Fork McKenzie X2 (on sale for $1600 right now which seems like a significantly good deal).

Any thoughts on this? I am a newbie, and realize I will have a learning curve before hitting the more difficult waters.

thanks in advance

2. Nathan M Daines

Nathan M Daines Natives

Media:
    That is the same boat I purchased this spring. Have used it several times always with a passenger. On lakes with a little electric motor works great and does a good job on big and small rivers. I have taken it down the Skagit, the nooksack, the sky and the Snoq. Does really well in low water and I can turn it pretty quick, but I have never set it up for one person. The pontoons are 13' long, I guess it would work. It was a really good investment, my only regret is that I did'nt get two. I go out with my brothers every week and always end up leaving some one behind.
    Anyways hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Nate

3. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

N. Umpqua

I've never seen anyone float the N.U. At least not the flywater. Are there regs against floating that section? Is it just tradition? Or am I just not up there enough to have seen it?

4. sjsienna

sjsienna New Member

Nathan

thanks for the response - good feedback.

I called North Fork today - spoke to Dave Scadden and ordered the Mckenzie X2 --- should get it in a week or so i hope! I am really looking forward to it !

speyfisher: you may be right about the fly-only section, but I am pretty sure that at the least, right below the fly only section you should be able to float it (at least - I have seen the ads for the whitewater rafting trips, and I have seen ads for guides that will float the NU)

I wish I could tell you from direct experience - but hopefullly soon!

last time I was there (last summer) -- I met up with a guy named Fred Evans -- I think I've seen him on some of the posts around here ... maybe he knows..

thanks

Rich

5. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Fred is a personal friend of mine. Spoke to him last night and mentioned floating the NU. To the best of my knowledge, which in this case is somewhat limited, the guides only float the lower section of the river. The rafters generally float much higher up the river. Better water for them. And they don't interfere with us. Joe Howell at the Blue Heron fly shop should be able to give you the scoop on this. Keep us posted.

Dave Scadden make some nice boats. I'm sure you'll like yours. Kepp us posted on that too.

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Load the open seat with 150 lbs. of beer. :beer2:

7. shawn k

shawn k Member

You can only float the north umpqua after 10 am and you cant float the camp water. An inflatable kayak is the boat to use on the north Umpqua for crossing to the other side.

8. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Can't fish the N.U. fly water out of a boat. That's what I kept forgeting to mention.

9. sjsienna

sjsienna New Member

ok - good. thanks for the info. I really love the NU - beautiful river. Being able to float (parts of) it seems like it would be fun... really tho, my main point was just an example of the river I'd like to use this boat on.

take care

Rich