2 piece vs. 4 piece rods

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Billy McFly, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    Here's another one that probably qualifies as a green horn question but....

Which do you guys prefer? Obviously the 4 piece packs down smaller so it’s more convenient to pack around but does it cast as well as the 2 piece rod? Do you even notice a difference??

Thanks
  2. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    Assuming you mean graphite rods, in my experience there is no difference for the past ~10 years. Rods are so freakishly light and tapers well-designed that adding a ferrule hasn't been noticeable to me in a long time.

In bamboo and glass rods, great rod makers will often add ferrules or mess with their weight and placement to actually improve the action. They most commonly do it to smooth things out, but there are other reasons like achieving a "parabolic" taper. Maybe not what you were asking about, but thought I'd mention it...
  3. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    i prefere the four piece, simply because they break down so short and i can throw the tube in a cooler to hide it, or toss it about.
  4. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,743 / 0
    I agree with Lugan. The first four piece graphite rods didn't cast all that well but nowadays, I certainly can't tell the difference between a 2 piece and a 4 piece so I now buy nothing but 4 piece rods. ....the rod tubes are much shorter and thus making the rods easier to stow for traveling. (as gearhead just mentioned)

(one of my favorite rods is a 7 piece fiberglass 4 weight from Lamiglas -- they call it a travel rod... duh, the thing is only 8 feet in length so when it is broken up into 7 pieces, the pieces are not very long... it casts like a dream .. I think the rod companies have figured out how to make great casting rods with many more sections than 2)
    Kent Lufkin and Krusty like this.
  5. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +124 / 0
    Greenheart to graphite, building workable ferrules onto a rod blank is a separate and demanding project. Rod builders respond to modern travel demands: smaller vehicles, frequent airline travel and backpack anglers with multi-piece rods. OTOH, there are new one piece fly rods on the market - for this year, at any rate.

I have rods up to five-piece for when travel conditions demand it. But usually, two-piece single hand rods and three-piece spey rods aren't much of a problem to transport, so I use whatever the next fishing trip calls for.
  6. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,726 / 0
    I like 2 piece rods and never realized the day would come when I would use air travel for a fishing trip. That has given me an excuse to buy a bunch more rods in 4, 5, and even 6 piece configuration for ease of travel. They cast just fine, but require a little bit more attention to line up the guides as I assemble each section.

Sg
  7. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    That can be a problem if the sections do not have matching marks for each section. I had to paint on my own for one rod that didn't come with the marks to line up the guides.
  8. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    I prefer 2 pc rods. I own 1,2,3,4 & 7 pc rods. With multiple sections you have more to line-up and need to be aware and periodically check the tightness of the ferrule fit. I've seen many rods broken at the ferrule casting and fighting fish when the ferrule wasn't all the way seated. I like my 2 pc bamboo rods over my 3 pc because of the weight, just my .02.
  9. chief Active Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +134 / 1
    I cannot feel a noticeable difference in the action of a 2 piece vs 4 piece modern graphite rod. Any new rods I purchase are 4 piece because of the packability, travel, and storage reasons mentioned above. But I still have some 2 piece rods I enjoy using when i fish my local waters.

As was also mentioned, there are some new one piece rods on the market this year. In one of Yellowstone Angler's shootouts they preferred the one piece rod over the 4 piece rods they put it up against. So there may still be some validity to the better action based on the number of pieces argument for those who have their casting ability really tuned in..... If I lived near the water and could keep my rod on my boat or in my cabin ready to fish I think a one piece would be cool. But for those of us living in the city, and travelling by car or airplane to fish, they seem a little impractical.
  10. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,734 / 0
    I watched you cast that Greenheart one time. When you were casting the line on it I thought that the rod would break as it bent.

I use both 2 piece and 4 piece. I don't notice any difference in the way they work.
  11. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    I have all sort's, I prefer two piece.
  12. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,228 / 0
    Years ago when makers only rolled blanks off a single mandrel and then cut them into 2, 3 or 4 pieces, there WAS a difference between actions. The rods got stiffer thanks to the internal male ferrules made from a solid chunk of plastic glued into one of the sections. But today that's like comparing jet airplanes with those powered by propellers.

CAD technology has changed the industry enormously and rod tapers are now specifically designed based on the number of pieces intended in the final rod. Each section is made on a specific mandrel used for only that section and when the sections are all fit together, the taper design compensates for the number and location of the stiffer ferrules where the sections overlap.

For those 2-piece holdouts, good luck even finding one. The entire industry seems to have switched to exclusively 4-piece designs over the past few years. I recently bought a modern 6-piece rod for backpacking trips (a Redington CT 3wt) that has as sweet and uniform action as any you'd find in any 2-piece rod of a decade ago. And what's not to like about a 19" tube that'll fit into a float tube pocket?

K
    GAT likes this.
  13. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Kent is correct... good luck finding a brand name 2-piece fly rod these days.... just make sure they have alignment makes for each section or you will spend a lot of time aligning the guides when you assemble the rod. ...oh and make sure the fit is tight... it's embarrassing to toss a section of your rod off into the water when making a cast. Other anglers think you have a fish on when you reel in part of your rod so they are watching the fiasco :)
  14. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,228 / 0
    The 'cheap' Redington CT I bought has alignment marks on all 6 sections - something missing on ALL my vintage Sage rods.

K
  15. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Evidently Sage can't afford the extra steps to include the alignment marks (oh Gawd! I typed something negative about Sage -- here comes the wrath :p:p )
  16. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    your aloud to give sage a little bit of shit. But don't fuck with my two piece winstons with spigets.
  17. Bruce Baker Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    My Sage SP has alignment dots. But, I've always wondered why Sage couldn't do it on successive models.
  18. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    does anyone still make non crappy 2 piece rods?
  19. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +378 / 1
    There's a little company called G. Loomis that makes a nice non-crappy 2 piece rod. It's called a GLX Classic. Google it. Been around for a while now........
    ak_powder_monkey likes this.
  20. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    So there's the one... Interesting... Anybody cast it?

I'd say a 4 pc rod cast better than a non existant 2 pc rod made by scott, sage, winston, etc.

What boggles my mind (like most things about pinners) is that there aren't any 4 piece centerpin rods.... Who wants to lug around two 6.5 foot sections?