2 poles on quality lakes?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Freestone, Jul 11, 2012.

?

Should 2 rods be allowed on 'quality' lakes?

Poll closed Jul 18, 2012.
  1. Yes, on all quality lakes (SGR, FF, C&R)

40.5%
  2. Yes, but only on SGR lakes, not Fly-only or C&R

4.8%
  3. Yes, on SGR & Fly-only, not C&R

2.4%
  4. No to 2 poles on any quality lake

52.4%
  1. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Lately, there have been times when I am fishing a Selective Gear Rules (SGR) lake or a Fly-Only lake and I wished that I could fish a second rod. But, I have resisted my urge to fish chironomids with two rods or cast and strip with one and use an indicator or dry on the other. I am not sure it would even be feasible but it seems like it could help me figure out what is working much more quickly.

In the past, when I brought it up to WDFW, they were surprised that a fly angler would even want to use two poles/rods. What do you guys think? Would you like the ability to fish two rods at Pass, Chopaka, Dry Falls, Lenice, etc? If so, what other lakes/types of lakes would you like to see it allowed on? Or, would it piss you off if it were allowed on quality lakes? If so, what lakes/types of lakes would be ok and/or not ok? (ie. SGR? FF-only? C&R?) What potential problems do you see? If it were allowed on a lake, would it make you not want to fish there at all (even if all other rules on the lake stayed the same)?

Lastly, would you buy a two pole endorsement if you could use it on some of the lakes we fly anglers like to fish?

I have a WDFW volunteer meeting coming and I thought I might bring this up again if other fly anglers want this opportunity. It would be nice to share some feedback with them. But, if most people say they don't want it, I won't bring it up.

Thanks, Sue

2. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    For me it's a no on any body of water. A second rod would simply kill the fun and, if anything, I'd rather find ways to make it more challenging. Beyond that, fishing is fishing and how someone else defines fun is all good so long as legal and respectful of others and the resource.

Sue, thanks for spending the time to make it a better fishery :)

JesseCFowl likes this.
  3. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    Couple of stories about fishing two rods....in Idaho and BC. Long ago.

I am trolling two rods on an Idaho lake. One rigged with a big black marabou leech the other had a size 14 brown nymph. Both went down at the exact same time. So I grabbed the leech rod and promptly set the hook into a 12 inch fish. At the same time the fish that took that little nymph jumped out of the water. Looked like six to eight pounds and he spit the hook right out!

In BC, I was fishing two rods on Chronomids. One rod in a holder the other in my hand. Both fished without any action. Caught about 20 with the rod I was holding in my hand. Never hooked a fish with the one in the holder. I kept switching the rods and always caught them with the one I was holding.

Two rods are lots of work. I quit doing it years ago. I quit fishing streams because it was just like work. So I am down to one rod and maybe six cigars a day when I fish.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    If you are doing CnR. Why would you need two rods. Hell, I have enough trouble rigging up one rod, two would just about do me in.

5. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

I agree with FF. I may rig up a second rod, but would never fish 2 rods, just for a quick change for line purposes.
    I can hardly focus on one rod and talk to another person. Kinda like chewing gum and walking at the same time. Some say I am anti social while fishing. Nope, just have to focus to feel the take or fish since some are so subtle.

6. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I fish two with very little issue and I find it quite effective as part of the challenge. Do I miss fish? Yes, but mostly I'm using it to unlock the code, just like I know FF does but I'm challenging myself with two rods versus one. When fishing pics up on one method I usually put the other rod away. If I were fishing out of a pontoon boat or a belly boat I don't imagine I would do it, but out of my pram it works. Lone allows the two rod endorsement, and it has no ill effect on the fishery, if anything Lone is fishing better than ever.

Logically (and this is where I get in trouble, I struggle to recognize that something's for people are not just logical they are also emotional) I don't understand at all why specially regulate lakes are not allowed two rods. In fact to me it makes more sense to have those be the only lakes with the two rod endorsement. Help me and my Emotionally disabled brain understand with logical arguments why two rods should not be allowed on these lakes. Show me evidence that it effects the fishery in a negative way and I won't fight it anymore.

Now m

7. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

For me, it is not about the catching so much as the enjoyment of being on the water with my fly rod. I too have trouble with two rods. I have sometimes taken two rods in the past, but one was just a back up rod in case I broke the main one. I could leave it at home just as well, I suppose.

8. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I have a two pole permit and fish two rods at times. I'll be doing that next week up at Brewster for salmon (kings and sockeye). I almost lost a rod chronie fishing up in BC. A fish slammed the sitting chronie rod so hard that the only thing that kept it in the boat was the reel hitting the side of the boat.

9. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Funny, I just got a similar e-mail from a district fish bio asking about this subject. I have not voted yet as I will mull this over a bit more. So far, I like Irafly's logic the best.

If there is no biological reason for NOT allowing two rods, then why have a 1-rod limit? I like the two rod idea for a couple reasons. It allows more flexibility for anglers looking for more challenge while fishing. If you don't like it, don't use two rods. If you have the skills and like challenge, feel free to do so.

If you think about it, there are a few reasons to have the 2-rod rule on special regulated lakes as opposed to standard bait lakes. By using bait, you are automatically killing any fish that bites your hook. This could pose a biological concern. In specially regulated waters, the goal is more about catching more and larger fish than harvesting fish (and perhaps having a more solitary experience though this may not be the case in the more popular, specially regulated waters). A fish is more likely to die when biting bait than an artificial fly/lure, which could pose some risks to the population if not paying attention to your rods.

Another reason I like the 2-rod rule in specially managed waters is it shows the rest of the angling population and WDFW that specially-regulated lakes are just as important as standard-managed lakes. Again, if there is no biological or social reasons, why should WDFW discriminate angling preference?

BC allows 2 rods on all waters (I believe) but only allows one hook per line. If I had a choice, I'd prefer to fish two flies on one rod than one fly on two rods. But I'm thinking, why not allow both?

Irafly likes this.
  10. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    As someone who spends quite a bit of time in Ira's boat, I enjoy the spectacle that unfolds when we "crack the code" on multiple presentations and all rods are hooked up. It makes for some memorable moments, for sure :) .

As has already been mentioned, fishing craft makes a big difference and tubes/toons are not ideal. But when anchored up in a pram-type boat with opportunities to prospect different depths, cover types, and hatches . . .putting in the extra "work" to see what the fish are up to (via rigging an extra rod and fishing it effectively) can pay off in a big way.

Irafly likes this.
  11. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:

I also had a chance to watch the puzzle being solved back in March.

Irafly likes this.
  12. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I bought the Oregon two rod lic. this year and used it at a put and take lake with large rainbows. fishing both sideS of the drifter - one at 8 ft. and one at 14 ft really helped with finding the depth the fish were at.

The problem was when I had two good fish on at the same time, one rod between my legs far enough so the reel handle would not catch my pants and brake the tippet and trying to drag in an 18 incher so I could land the twenty incher was just to much on the fish I decided to land second! but it helped me figure out the depth the larger fish were in and then I reeled the other rod in and put it away.

In a deep water spot I fished a heavy sink line straight down and let the fish set the hook themselves and used an indi rod 25 feet under bobber. even though I had the indi rod in my hands I landed more fish on the deep sinker straight down and never had two fish on at once mostly because I would keep missing the deep water indi rod fish. I only did this on one trip so far but in hard fisheries like crane prairie or wickiup I want Every advantage I can get. once the PUZZLE is figured out I will put the other rod away but being able to fish two different ways or flies has it's advantages and - I LIKE IT!!!

Irafly likes this.
  13. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I can only do one thing at a time.
    I would only fish with one rod at a time even if I could use two rods. The other rod stays in the truck as back up.

14. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    I like using two rods and contrary to what has been previously posted I do it out of my 8' pontoon with no trouble...get some rod holders or use cheap equipment! :)

Here's the thing: If two rods are allowed, then you have a choice to do it or not. Give us the choice.

Irafly likes this.
  15. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    for me, not gonna happen. It'd be like bird hunting with two guns; one loaded for pheasant, the other for quail. There's not enough time to select the appropriate tube, let alone grab a second gun! But here's the thing: you're fishing a particular stream, you know where the fish are gonna be, and the kinds of bugs you should encounter. Do you present precise imitations, or go with the "impressionist" style fly?

16. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I like fishing two rods, I've done it alot on the interior lakes in B.C. I believe in B.C. it only applies to a single anger, if there is more than one angler in the boat you can't use two rods per angler.

17. jwg

jwg Active Member

I think thats right about the single person in a boat, in BC.
    jay

18. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I can find no fault with your logic sir. Although I do not personally use or want to use two rods, I believe that decision should be in the hands of the person fishing. Same applies to two flies.

As far as cost to the fisher person for two rods, I suspect that it is another ploy of the State to get their hand in your pocket. But that is my opinion. I can see that it serves no realistic purpose to better the quality or quantity of fishing or fish.

19. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    As far as cost to the fisher person for two rods, I suspect that it is another ploy of the State to get their hand in your pocket. But that is my opinion. I can see that it serves no realistic purpose to better the quality or quantity of fishing or fish. [/quote]

Considering the number of people who wanted the two rod endorsement in the first place and the lobbying it took to make it happen, I don't see it as some government conspiracy. If you haven't fished two rods and don't intend to then I can understand how "you" can see no realistic purpose to better the quality of the experience or the quantity of fish caught, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Again I will restate, give me a logical argument for all fishers to not have the two rod endorsement on quality lakes and I'll listen ready to benefit. Otherwise the concept currently makes no sense to me why we don't have the option.

20. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    On lakes, I almost always have two rods set-up; one for drys or chronies, the other for dredging -- pretty common for most I should think. Same deal on rivers except one rod is rigged for nymph, the second for dry's. I don't understand or support the need to fish two rods at the same time...for heck sakes, this is fly-fishing, not commercial factory trawling. :rolleyes: