20% for bird hunters

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by martyg, Aug 17, 2005.

1. martyg

martyg Active Member

Not intending to SPAM but to inform.

If there are any bird hunters out there (and fly fishing and bird hunting go together like wings and beer), MOTHER (see at www.mothertech.net) will be having a 20% off sale at the Gig Harbor Sportsman's Club tomorrow night.

2. Dan

Dan Member

I wonder what the link is beween fly fishing and wing shooting. I talked to a guy last week in Denver who gave me a recommendation on a shooting coach. He said that this coach had asked him if he was a fly fisherman. Apparently, almost all of his wing shooters are. Hope that my fishing helps with my shootin'. I haven't fired a 12 gauge since I was about 18, but I bought a new factory barrel for my dad's 1959 Remington Wingmaster and I'm ready to bust some pheasants!

3. martyg

martyg Active Member

I can think of two things Dan:

1. River trips, river trips, river trips. Picture floating down the Middle Fork of the Salmon casting dries to really dumb West Slope Cutthroat - and catching like 150 fish a day. Kind of boring, eh? iagree Now picture catching 50 fish in a day but the rest of your day is spent scrabmling up and down the canyons chasing Cukar. Good fun! :beer2:

2. It gives you another REALLY expensive hobby to spend your money on, keeping you off of drugs, alcohol :beer1: and expensive mistresses. :cool:

4. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Flyfishing= need for feathers...
    Birdhunting = Source of feathers...
    Got any extra Turkey, Grouse, pheasant,goose feathers??? ;)

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    I think the connection between fly fishing and wing shooting goes back to the English aristocracy of the 18th and 19th centuries. If you were a member of the landed gentry (the idle sporting class, or 'sports' as they were known at the time), you had a lot of time to kill, and fishing and bird hunting gave you something to fill it with nearly year 'round :-D

As an example closer to home, Orvis has been in business since 1856 and their clientele is nearly equally divided between fly fishing and hunting. Abercrombie & Fitch made it nearly that long (before being bought out and converted into a teenage cultural Mecca) by catering to exactly the same crowd.

K

6. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    Nice vest, but doesn't compare to a Quilomene vest- I hate vests with that black mesh, what's the point of having orange if you're covering it up??

I've had 4 strap vest in 10 years and I can say far and away, the Quilomene is far superior to any of them. Thankfully, I received it as a gift, it's a bit pricey for a vest!

Will September ever get here? :beer2:

7. Dan

Dan Member

CWU Girl - I looked at the vests on the manufacturer's web site. Good stuff. Do you were a shooting jacket? If so, what do you like?

Kent - I shot two rounds of trap this weekend using the old Remington pump and did pretty well. I had not fired a shotgun in so long that I was concerned about not totally embarassing myself, but probably busted 80 out of 100 birds. (My host accused me of sand bagging him). I think I'm hooked! Do you know of a website similar to this one that I can visit to get help on wingshooting?