$20 Roof Rack for Pontoon

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Ed Call, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    So let's plan a float. I'm good for anything that is not highly technical, I need more time outside and less time in a cubicle with recycled air.

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I like ratchet straps Kerry. I use them professionally and personally. Work fine on heavy loads, and light lots. Like knowing my load is locked in.

And, I never take it over the pass. If I have an inflatable on a trailer or my roof, it's deflated and tubes in the vehicle. Just latch the frame to the roof.

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, I think I had a bad experience with the ratchet straps, can't rememeber. I know the ratchets themselves always need room to work that room isn't always available. I like to be able to grab the strap, yank it tight and go. I think I got some ratchets in the shop someplace, maybe I will give them another try.

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Kerry, you need to buy some quality ones. They have some that are just too small of mechanisms to work safely. Can't remember where I got my last set, but they are actually oversized for big hands (like mine) and ratchet nicely. Some of those smaller/cheaper ones seem to chincy to me. Keep thinking I got them at walmart. Little more expensive, but they work pretty good.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I got a four pack of ratchet straps with large easy to use mechanism. I got them from Wal-Mart, they were the better of the options they carried but were still not very expensive. They are 14' long and I've used them to hold down a lot of things, largest was a heavy as heck roll top fly tying desk that was on my cargo platform behind my rig. They worked great.

6. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

don't throw the ratchet over and brake a window {or a person}. ive done it and had it done to me