2006-07 Beginner/Intermediate Anti-Shack Nasty Marathon Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Sep 17, 2006.

1. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Excellent! Thanks folks!
  2. roadhog professional freight relocator

spokane valley wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    hey ya all, just looking for a little enlightenment here. what is the major differences in a streamer and a wet fly? just want to make sure to tie the correct pattern. thanx in advance, shad clark aka roadhog :thumb:
  3. Ned Wright New Member

Tenino, WA
    RodHog,

I had the same question and this is what I dug up.

Wet flies are generally used to imitate emerging aquatic insects. Streamers imitate small fish or other adult aquatics. Both are fished pretty similar (swing). It is said that emergers spend a bit of time to break the surface tension of the water, so a few jerking motions at the end of the swing can be effective. I can't wait to have some to give it a try.

Wet flies were the "original" fly fishing flies. I have found two different general types. Some have lots of soft hackle and others tend to have a quill (primary feathers) wing and some hackle as a beard. Some have both. Google "wet flies" and there are a few pages with a bunch of patterns.

My question is, does someone have a picture of a wet with a quill wing from above and are they tied on the same as a quill wing for a dry, but just with more wraps to get them to lay back a bit more???

Thanks,
    Ned
  4. DDS Member

Portland Oregon
    Ratings: +1 / 0
  5. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Ned, Good definitions. A wet fly is normally tied on a standard or maybe a 1xl wet fly hook (heavier wire than dry flies). Some are quill winged, married quill winged, some with or without quill tails. Others are soft hackle flies, simple bodies of silk or rayon floss with a sparse hackle of partridge or other upland game birds. Either style is good for the swap. I really enjoy fishing both types of wet flies and have great success with them.

Streamers are usually tied on longer hooks 4 to 8XL, and represent some type of bait fish, as Ned mentioned. Streamers don't have to be huge. Some of my favorites are tied on size 10 4 XL hooks.

DDS, you couldn't have picked better examples. Eric is a great tier.

REE
  6. roadhog professional freight relocator

spokane valley wa
    hey ned thanx. thats more or less what i thought. but i just wanted to make sure. thanx to all who helped out. :thumb:
  7. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Hey Guys, Got some good news and some bad news. Who wants good news first?

Okay you win, Good news is flies have have arrived from Roadhog, Mulligan, Mike Ritari, and Calvin1. Nicely done from all of you. Those who don't have your flies in yet, time is getting close.

Okay, Bad News, one of our swappers is in the middle of moving (thought he would be settled before now) and can't get the flies in on time. He wants to stay in the swap and do a double header next month. I say fine. How about you guys?

This group must be the intermediate tiers, not the beginner tiers. Hmmm, wait till you see the junk I'm sending as a bonus.

REE
  8. Mulligan Stephen Mull

Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Oh for sure, let him stay! Hope everyone enjoys my fairly simple tie (though I'm still no good at them); it is my favorite nymph to fish when stones are present. Rumor is that steelhead dig it too, don't know from first hand experience though.

Stephen
  9. Ned Wright New Member

Tenino, WA
    iagree , let him stay.

Moving sucks (I mean changing the place of your stuff, not the change of scenery). I have done it 12 times in 8 years :eek: and all those boxes are a good excuse for missing a swap deadline.

All I have to say is that the extra wets better kick arse!:cool:

Ned
  10. gmbjr New Member

Spanaway , WA
    I'm alright with letting him stay in as well. I know what it's like as well trying to move and get settled in.... and then comes the preverbial curveballs hehe
  11. roadhog professional freight relocator

spokane valley wa
    let him stay in. i also know what the settling in is like. the move is not to bad but the settling is almost as bad as the dentist!!!!:rofl: :thumb:
  12. Calvin1 Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    No worries on the mover.
  13. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Well Fellers, today is the deadline for this month (Happy Halloween) and we still have one tier out. The mail has not run yet, so there is still hope. I'll get the flies photographed on the 1st of November and back out to you on the afternoon of the 1st.

Your gonna like these flies!
  14. Calvin1 Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Looks like he hasn't posted in over a month, he might have dropped off the forum.
  15. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Hey Guys,

Your flies are in the mail, the pics are taken (just no spot in the Gallery yet). I am gonna owe someonea fly from Gmbjr. Instead of sorting at the dining room table, I sorted on the coffee table. One of his very nice flies went on the floor by accident, instead of into one of your fly boxes. My big toe found it this afternoon. It is safe and sound (the fly, not the toe). Whoever is short a fly, let me know, I have it and will send it out wih next months flies.

Wet flies this month. Classic winged wets, soft hackles, etc. Have fun!

REE
  16. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Hey Ya'll,

Pics are now in the gallery.
  17. Ned Wright New Member

Tenino, WA
    I got mine in the mail today. Sweet flies guys! Thanks Ron!!!

Nothing better than a box o flies with the bills and credit card offers.

To the tune of the Don Williams song,,,, "I going nymphin in the rain"

Ned
  18. Anyfish Fishing with the kids

Olympia, WA
    I got mine today as well. Now to find some time to fish them. Good job all.
  19. DDS Member

Portland Oregon
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    So what is the total number of wet flies that I need to send? I liked the flies a saw in the gallery nice job!
  20. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Hey Everyone,

The current count is 11 flies, that includes one for yourself, so everyone gets a full swap set (easier for me to sort that way). I agree, the flies for the first go round were pretty damned good. Things always get better as we go too.

REE