2009 Pink run

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by flyindaeye, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Gracias DimeBrite. I'll start spending some spinning time at the nor-vise with visions of flashy pink maribous and baitfish patterns. I just stocked up on a few pink items too. Generally would pinks tend to hang closer and shallower like Silvers or further and deeper like Kings? Thanks again.
  2. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +327 / 0
    Pinks generally seem to travel in shallower water following the shoreline as they make their way toward the rivers. Even while feeding/migrating in the Straits of San Juan de Fuca they hang in the upper water column with the silvers and can easily be caught with fly rods. You won't have any trouble catching them Mumbles, there will be millions of them moving into the Sound in August and early September. Get your smoker ready and buy all the pink materials you can get now. The fly shops will be all out by July, it's crazy.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Stellar. Thanks again!
  4. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +214 / 2
    I talked with the WDFW bio last week on last years' sockeye return and we wound up talking about the upcoming Skagit run, which has been pretty paltry the last few cycles. He was very optomistic (you better be if you want be a fish bio otherwise its might be tough going to work everyday). I'm thinking he said the forecast for the Skagit was a million fish. Seems high but then if Curt's number is right (4 million to the PS) then maybe it is correct.

Like char, if you take on pinks with the appropriate-sized tackle, they make a fine flyfishing opponent. For river fishing, I like 5 and 6 weight rods with a 13 foot sinktip (type III). If you like swinging flies, they are great fun. Expect 20 or more hook-ups a day--when are you ever going to see that for steelhead? Of course the hardcore steelhead types are shaking their heads muttering somthing like, "I'd rather go fishless chasing steel than catch 20 pinks". To each their own.

Of course I'm talking river fishing. Only experiece with saltwater pinks was with Buzz Bombs in SE AK.

Good times.
  5. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I didn't catch a single pink last summer... Last summer was a good one :rofl:
  6. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +214 / 2
    We are not all lucky enough to live in AK.

I turned down a good job up there a few years ago...Its the days I go fishing in Washington that that I really regret it. :beathead:
  7. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    don't sweat it, I can't drive to Montana in 10 hours.. Actually it was a really bad pink year in many of the streams I frequent because of massive flooding two years ago. If I had saltwater opportunities where I live I'd humpy fish more. Some of the best saltwater fishing I've had has been stalking schooles of dime bright 5 pound humpies on the flats of kodiak island, only thing better is stalking schools of dime bright silvers on the flats of kodiak :thumb:
  8. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +434 / 0
    Here are a couple of patterns that have worked well for me in both salt and fresh water. The first one is just a pink version of Les Johnson's green chum comet. The second is Hubert Humpy, a pattern I originally tied for pinks in the tidal portion of the Stilly and later found to be quite effective in the salt (for coho as well).

Attached Files:

9. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    That one on the left is about as good as it gets for pinks - IMHO!!
    I have found in the fresh that frequent change ups work once the bite slows. I have caught pinks in the river with bead chain skunk-like patterns - no pink on the fly at all. My GO TO though looks a lot like the one Preston has shared only with a body wrapped in pink plastic ribbing material and no tail. I like fishing the pinks - lots of fun!
    Magill
  10. Jeff Member

Fairbanks, AK
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    I'm looking forward to giving the Pink fishing a go this year... can't believe I've lived in Seattle this long and never tried it!

-Jeff
  11. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    The best thing about the humpy run is you can bonk your two hatchery silvers for the bbq or smoker and continue fishing C & R.
    Humpies are a great fish to get folks started with saltwater fishing. Great for kids as well.
    Once they hit the rivers though, you'll get to see some of the worst angling behavior you'll ever see. All in the name of catching a humpy.
  12. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I havent caught a pink in 4 years. been a good 4 years :thumb:

2 years ago we had some of the best silver fishing that i have seen in the sound, yet all anyone wanted to talk about was pinks. fine by me. :)
  13. jcnewbie Member

Kent, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    My first and brief foray into fly fishing was for Pinks in ’07 at Dash Point and for me was a total failure in the “catching” of fish. I could barely cast 40 feet and then only once in a while.

Had to give it up for several months due to severe back problems and only took it up again this spring, a few times for trout but mostly for Silvers & SRC’s in which I had one very exceptional day (for me) but was mostly just casting practice which I needed a lot of anyway.

I’ve taken a few paid lessons and several “freebies” here ‘n there and can now cast 50-60 feet regularly with my 6 wt and occasionally out to 70+ when I get everything just right….improvement has been waaaay slower than I would like - but then I’m waaaay slower than I would like too…..never had a clue that age and stupidity could do all this to a feller, always figured that I’d be above it all somehow. Nope, that didn’t work, so here I are, old & stove-up now and been laid up for two weeks with more back problems and no fishin’.

Not bitchin’, just sayin’………….

I do plan on going for Pinks again this summer….looked like great fun for everyone catchin’ ‘em in ’07…..

Jc
  14. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    In my experience a lot of weight is not required for pink salmon flies. I use a Pink Flashabou Comet in sizes 6 and 8. I put only the smallest of bead chain eyes on this pattern. It works in all the saltwater environs and into the lower reaches of the rivers I fish. If the water is clear in the rivers I use a 6-weight, 10-foot clear intermediate sinking tip line and get all the action I need. If it is a bit colored up I use a Type III sinking tip line.
    On athe beaches distance can sometimes be critical to success. My pal Bob Young uses shooting heads, Jimmy LeMert liikes the Rio Outbound. Both of them are able to reach well out to find pinks. I often use a SA Streamer Express intermediate.
    Les
  15. jcnewbie Member

Kent, Washington
    That's what I'm going to try this year too, Les. My first year I was using a 300 gr. Outbound on a 6 wt and combined with my lousy casting created an impossible distance casting situation for me. This last year I bought a SA Streamer Express intermediate 240 gr AND a rio Gold for a floater line. on my 6 wt. So far it seems my casting distance has improved quite a bit -- but could improve a heck of a lot more too......:hmmm:

Jc
  16. Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

puget sound
    Last 4 years I have accounted for a grand total of 1 pink.....with an exception of Neah Bay. :D
    I wouldnt mind giving it a go this year, but there are so many fish to target in the sound, why not target some good eater fish.

Jake
  17. SmokinAces Keepin' It Reel

B-HAM, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Haha, I agree with you but when you're not catching shit it's always a good confidence boost to hook a pink or two.
  18. Krystoff Member

Woodinville, WA
    I have a moderate action (nice and whippy) 8'6" 5wt which is probably the highest wt rod I will have until next year. Would I be wasting my time going after pinks in the salt with that? Can I put some heavy pound test on it and just be aggressive with the fish or is that a sure way to break my rod?

Chris
  19. SmokinAces Keepin' It Reel

B-HAM, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I would say that depends on how you fight the fish. Keep a fairly loose drag and don't horse them in and I would say your 5wt will do the job just fine!
  20. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +461 / 1
    hahahaha we have this same discussion every year but never have i seen it start in january!!!

fishing must really be dismal.

i love a day of spankin pinks as much as the next guy so i cant hate. pinks are small and just about any rod can handle them but it gets tiring after awile. i liked my 8wt last run but personally i think a 7wt would be perfect off the beach. especially with the good chance of hookin into a nookie or a silver.

and a good size pink will burn some line especially if they get into some current. they dont play.

if you have questions about how, where and when to catch them. search "pink salmon" and you will have reading material for days. seriously.

most talked about, most anticipated and yet easiest and most readily available salmon to hook.