2009 To Do List

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by SoldierMedic, Feb 22, 2009.

1. SoldierMedic New Member

Enumclaw, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Alright folks, 1 month till I'm back from the sandbox and I have a long list of goals for 2009.

The following apply:
    1) catch a few SRC
    2) catch a coho on the surface
    3) catch a chinook with a fly

I have a lami 9wt back home that I fully intend to christen (I've never caught anything over 10 inches on a fly) this year. I will spend countless hours and will do everything in my power to make sure work is number 3 to a tied 1st place fishing and hunting.

Alright guys, here's where all of you come in. I need tips. I'm surfing the net and have maps waiting in my mailbox back home. I'm doing the research and spending some cash right now, but I need to know:
    1) Where do you guys suggest I find a good area to chase SRC, coho on the surface, and chinook? I live in Enumclaw and have at my disposal a 21ft w/ outboard that does fine in the sound.
    2) What flies do I need to buy and learn to tie to get ready for this year of complete awesomeness?
    3) Any additional helpful hints and tips will be totally appreciated!!!

Curtis

Thanks Guys!!! Oh and yes I TOTALLY made the prefix on this one an event, because 2009 will be an event of EPIC proportions!!
  2. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    Step 1: Get the equipment (6wt fly rod, saltwater reel & spools, intermediate fly line, floating fly line, flies, tippets, leaders) Use an 8wt later in summer/fall for larger coho and chinook

Step 2: When you arrive back home, make some fishing buddies who know how to fish the saltwater and fish with them. There are also many threads on this website that will give you many of the answers you seek. Offer boat rides to experienced fly fishers and they will help you find fish.

Step 3: Buy Les Johnson's Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon II and Steve Raymond's Estuary Flyfisher. Great books
  3. Gertie's Pa New Member

Lacey, WA
    Dime bright gotcha covered, especially in step 3. Also, you may want to put catching a few pinks on your list of to-do's.
  4. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Most definitely do that! Should be a pretty epic year from what I'm hearing. Just get out to the salt and fish the hell out of it with pink and chartreuse stuff. You should catch more than your share of pinks. Other than that do a few searches on this site and you'll have more than enough reading to keep you busy 'till you come home!:thumb:
    -Ethan
  5. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    step 1-3) go fishing a lot!
  6. SoldierMedic New Member

Enumclaw, WA
    To all who replied -

I like the cut of your jib! Its been so long since I've been out that I completely forgot about the pink run on odd years! MAN this is going to be one full year of "SCREW YOU WORK!!"

Looking forward to it guys!

Also - just bought that pacific salmon II off amazon.

Curtis
  7. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    I'm just about 10 miles north of you, and getting to the South Sound launches isn't too shabby from here, especially when compared to driving over the pass for quality trout fishin' or somethin' - makes it seem short and easy. Lots of good beaches especially with a boat, 21' is more than enough. Have fun and be safe. :beer2:
  8. gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Gig Harbor, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    For Chinook on the sound, think low light conditions. This means early morning, evening, dark cloudy days or even night time. If you do the night thing, you may want to add a few glow in the dark flies to your arsenal.

For other flies, a marabou clouser is hard to beat for the sound, changing up colors and flash makes if a very versatile pattern.

For salmon the beaches around the Narrows may be one of the better south sound options for coho, while up towards browns point will great for pinks this year.
  9. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    For Coho on the surface, as well as SeaRuns on the surface too, do a search on this forum for "Miyawaki Popper" for instructions on tying and presentation. All around great surface fly. Pink over white for Coho, olive over white for SRC. As Gigharbor pointed out, low light is a friend to the flyfisher in the salt water. Pacific Salmon II will give you more than enough info to start doing it, the rest is just time on the water applying what you read.

In April, the Coastal Cutthroat (SeaRuns) will begin out migration from the rivers, following the salmon smolt to the salt, fattening up after spawning. It is a great time for using smolt salmon imitations like the “Chum Baby”, and expect to see bait balls exploding from hungry fish smacking through them. It's a great time to start fishing the salt water.

One month left....be safe, and thanks for serving our Country Curtis
  10. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    i know a guy that runs a commercial herring boat{can i say that} i went out with him and he said that the salmon fry were so abundant that in the next few years the pop. of salmon returning to the south sound should be noticeably better

remember catch and release
  11. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    i know a guy that runs a commercial herring boat{can i say that} i went out with him and he said that the salmon fry were so abundant that in the next few years the pop. of salmon returning to the south sound should be noticeably better

remember catch and release
  12. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Curtis - PM me - let me know where you are stationed.