2010 Hohdown

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jeff bandy, Dec 5, 2009.

?

Dates for 2010 Hoh down

1st week in March 10 vote(s) 15.6%
2nd... 10 vote(s) 15.6%
3rd... 30 vote(s) 46.9%
4... 18 vote(s) 28.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +357 / 1
    20 10 Hoh down

Date set. Third week in March, 3/15 to 3/21.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,467 / 9
    I can't officially take earned vacation until April with my job conversion...probation...what the hell is that. I'll find a way. I'm remembering most favored mid to late March. I'll find a way! Thanks Jeff. One brief conversation and you got the post up. You are one serious dude! This one is gonna be a long one! Whenever it is, I'll find a way.
  3. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Right on Jeff!! My vote is for the first week in March as I got a baby on the way for late March. I was just thinking about this last week and am happy to see you are as well. I would even vote for sometime in Feb. but I'm not going to be too picky as I might not even get to be there. Most likely a wait and see game for me.

Now we gotta get Jerry on da Hoh Boat! I still think about the piece of Rib Eye!!! :beer2:
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,704 / 0
    Never again.
  5. Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Kiana, AK
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Any week except the first week...that is when Iditarod is...gotta be up in AK for that!
  6. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +680 / 5
    Depends on when it is. I think I have vacation in March. But could arrange a long weekend trip. I guess everyone liked the food and especially the ribeye. If I go Ill cook.
  7. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +182 / 6
    Pussy.....:D
  8. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

iagree

At this point I'm fine w/ whatever the group decides... as long as Jerry can be there to cook! I'll help this time... I hope to make it out there a number of times next year and may not wait til March!
  9. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

I assume that's at the HOH river, what does it intail.since it seems those replying know what it's about maybe the rest of us aren't supposed to know. Does it require an invitation? Just curious, had my doubts it was a square dance. most of you just don't seem the type thanks Bob
  10. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Bob,
    It is several-day get together on the Hoh at a time when river levels are often conducive to flyfishing and the native steelhead are in and willing to play. It entails meeting some of the faces behind the avatars, eating some creative camp food, excessive drinking, and some fishing. It is a come-one, come-all affair. Bring a positive, contributing attitude, much like the board in general.
    Steve
  11. Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Third week sounds good, I'm in and I will bring my Raft.

BD.

:thumb:
  12. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,671 / 2
    my chances of going or not going are about the same for any of those weeks. i'm definitely going if everything falls in to place on my end though
  13. NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Seattle,WA
    So if a guy like myself were to want to stop by and meet some folks just for the day, would this be allowed? I don't get another set of vacation time for awhile past March so I won't be able to take days off but perhaps I may come out early morning Saturday or Sunday and do some fishing? Also...what can one expect to be catching in March on the Hoh? will a 6wt suffice? perhaps I'll splurge on a 8wt before March, but highly unlikely since I just bought my 6wt...
  14. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    native steelhead, no 6wt, 8wt is about right
  15. NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Seattle,WA
    Damn.. I'll come mingle either way and bother everyone
  16. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,467 / 9
    They let me come last year and irritate them one and all. I'd agree that a 6wt is too little if you get into one. Maybe the gear demo program if you ask Mr. Scoones nicely?

As for floatation, I have one solo pontoon and now one two man pontoon. One or both should be in use. Depending on what sections are to be rowed those two boats could be floating. (Still unsure if I'm canyon ready from Willoughby to Oxbow, but the rest I've done a time or few.)
  17. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

I've messed this up twice so I'll try again. Sounds good to me. Do they set up a base at a campground or launch and the others stay in rented rooms? I'll see If my son can get off and take the camper. I could allways tent it if neccessary, done that before. It will be good to meet a few faces to put with those words we write. I'll have to practise my casting and drinking to keep up my end of things. The eating shouldn't be a problem and I aught to be able to come up with an attitude easilly enough. I'll mark my calendar so I watch for the week that's scheduled. Thanks for the Info.Bob
  18. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +491 / 0
    I'm in, regardless of the date. Sounds like a good time.:beer2:
  19. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Bob,
    Sounds like you've got the right attitude part down cold. Speaking of cold, some folks do camp, often at a place like the Oxbow campground on the Hoh as a central meeting/partying point. But there are other options that will be discussed as the dates come closer. Those that don't want to camp take advantage of the indoor heating and soft beds in Forks. Of course, spring snowmelt (if we accumulate much snow in an El Nino year) can ruin the best-laid plans of EARLY DECEMBER!!!

Steve
  20. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

That's about what it should sound like I would guess. If I have to drive the stakes through the snow then I don't think I'll stay more than one day, and save the time for fishing. If the snow melt has the river too high I have a nice warm home and some good books and magazines that have great fishing tales in them. Other wise we'll hope to not have to face that and can get to know more friends that we haven't met yet. We've got a little time to fill in the meantime so have fun. stay warm, fish hard. Bob