2010 Hohdown

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jeff bandy, Dec 5, 2009.

?

Dates for 2010 Hoh down

1. 1st week in March

15.6%
  2. 2nd...

15.6%
  3. 3rd...

46.9%
  4. 4...

28.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    The last two I went to it snowed. The river was a shitty green and not everybody who committed to it showed up. I did twice. After a short 800 plus mile drive. But I was spoiled as I stayed in a Motel in town. I like warm rooms, showers and a warm bed to sleep in. As for drinking, well I didn't paint the Ox Bow CG red. I didn't even get drunk. Just got full of booze.

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I didn't vote. One weekend is as good as another in March; it all depends on the weather.

Bob,

The Oxbow Campground has been Hohdown Central each season so far. Some people, softies like OMJ, stay at a motel in Forks, but most camp. I'd normally choose a motel that time of year, but I've pitched my tent at Oxbow for a couple Hohdowns, and been snowed on. My small mountain tent is warmer than the big car camping tent in winter conditions. You can count on plenty of anti-freeze around the campfire. And if Jerry comes, dinner at the campground will be better than anything you can get in Forks.

Someone asked about using a 6 wt; not suitable for steelhead but OK for incidental bull trout that you cannot legally target.

Sg

3. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    I'll go if OMJ goes. :beer2:

Just kidding, I'll be there regardless. So far, all the weekends in March look good.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Do you have any idea what it cost me to come there from Montana. It isn't on the cheap side. First time I took about 800 bucks with me and I think I came home with 50 bucks or less.

No, twice coming was enough for me. Besides I could die on the way there, as I'm getting on in years. Hell, a deer could run into me or I could run into a elk or a jack rabbit. It doesn't take much to wreck you driving at 75 MPH.

I hope you all have a good time and you can all toast me at your campfires.

Jim

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    OMJ,

Don't worry, you won't be toasted around the campfire; you'll get roasted you old fart.

Sg

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Amen to that.:beer2:

7. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Media:
    Home Page:
    Not that this would or should matter for a get together but the third and fourth week of March is no better fishing than the first, and historically the heaviest OP pressure is always the third week and I mean like twice the anglers as nearly any other week.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've done quite a few events fishingwise, but last year was my first Hohdown (I missed the year before when my FIL passed away). We homebased at the Oxbow. Funny, I setup camp in a down spot way at the end of the trail. It became "the spot" to hang out. Maybe it was the food, I don't know. ;) If it's not during my vacation, I'll plan on taking two floating holidays and making a 4 day trip out of it at least. Hopefully getting a spot at the Oxbow. I'll have my Alaskan Camper on either way, so I'll have a dry place to put my head.

Here's some pics of last years Hohdown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A small sample of the event.

9. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Damn Jerry, you just had to show a picture of that Rib Eye again! I sure hope I can make it, but it will depend on many factors for me. I do plan on spending at least a weekend out there this winter though. With a little one on the way, it may be some time before I can do that again. The fishing was great last year, but the catching not so much. I sure learned a lot about casting a spey rod though.

10. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    shit I might be able to make it the 3rd week in march, I need something good to do for spring break

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    All the food was made fresh. Fresh cut beer battered onion rings and fries (and those who tried it loved the beer battered fries too). We'll see who all is up for going and what they'd like to see cooked. That's if I'm able to swing it.

12. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I was wondering if you have to be a cigar smoker to take part in this event????? The last time I had a cigar, a friend took me out in the Straits, handed me a cigar, handed me a smoked smelt. The two didn't go to well together..... I puked!

13. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    Jerry you're not much help when you get us all ready to eat that great cooking and then end it with "that's if I'm able to make it" What are we suposssed to do wait untill you can make it, then decide what we can do? I haven't been there before and I'm already hungry. Thanks anyway we'll be waiting to hear. Bob

14. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    I haven't voted because I don't have any week as of yet that I'm tied up but that may change later on. I would like to vote for the week with no snow or freeziing and the least rain. Also I don't smoke unless I get too close to the fire. I'll be waiting to eventually get more details but no hurry on that. Bob

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL Bob. What was funny is I did the donation thing for food. Had ALOT of people bail (like OMJ had said). So we had PLENTY of ribeye left. Had it for breakfast next day with hashbrowns and eggs. I should be able to go. Just need a positive date so I can lock in that weekend, or possibly have it off on vacation (I bid my vacation for March 10-Feb 11 this coming January). We have to bid in advance, but do have a few floating holidays I can take too. I love fishing the Hoh, so I'm game to go to the Hoh Down again. :)

16. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Good to here Jerry, It just wouldn't be nearly as much fun without you. The Wife's not coming this year so I'd have to cook for myself:eek:
    Jeff

Note to anyone thinking of coming;
    No you don't have to smoke cigars to come. Don't have to drink or cuss or stink really bad (yes I'm talking about you OMJ)
    You just have to put up with those of us that do.
    AND NO WINING!!!

17. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yup, no need to smoke or drink. It's not a requirement. I should be there. Just depends on when we end up having it. I don't mind doing a similar menu (maybe with a few changeups). I figured we could have one big dinner, then the rest will be more small scaled. Of course toss in breakfasts on top of that. But I'm game, and will have the cookgear as well. :)

18. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    Jerry, I'm down. Missed it last year due to mission commitments and horsepuckey.
    I will smoke, I will drink,
    my wife will keep all our asses in line. Be afraid. be very afraid.

I have a double burner camp chef and a skookum steelheader I can bring, but with luck I'll be too buzzed to row but just buzzed enough to cast.
    Trouble with the DH? Spaz will clinic you.
    There will also be clinics on talking out of turn, falling down, and peeing on your waders, I'll put up a sign in sheet.

I just need a firm date so I can put in for leave with at least 1 month advance notice. Cuz I'm a slave to Da Man.

19. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    ROLL CALL FOR "TEAM RUGGED", OG'S AND PATCH HOLDERS!! damn, the first ever hoh party was one for the books, hard to top it, probably never be topped, but if you really put some effort into it, you guys just might injure yourselves :)

20. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    If everybody who says they are coming comes you should have quite a crowd. But some won't come because of one thing or another. Last year when I went home I had to drive thru snow most of the way to Montana . And when I got to Montana, I had to drive thru a snow storm from Missoula to Dillon.

No, these colder parties are not for this old man anymore.