2011 Lowland Lakes Opener

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by kingpuck, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

Mount Vernon, Wa
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Driving past my local lake to check out the mayhem, when a man ran out in front of my car with his grandson in tow. Found out our SUV can go from 35 to 0 pretty darn quick when it wants to.

Probably too much to hope that they'll take their near death experience as a lesson in catch & release.
  2. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    I didn't make it to any put and take lakes today. Did drive by one of the year round lakes near by that was stocked last week and there was 5 cars there. Five! Amazing!
  3. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,033 / 0
    I checked on the 3 lakes I wanted to fish on late Friday and all were frozen. So it's guaranteed that they didn't get over run by the masses on Sat. Normally I go out on the opener and just drive around and talk to people at the put-ins but seldom do any actual fishing. With gas at $4.05 this year I'll use the fuel for a road trip on Wed. instead. The weather looks good and we haven't had any snow since Thursday. Things are looking up!

Ive
  4. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Worked all day yesterday, as part of my plan to avoid the crowds and keep my customers happy. Surf looking pretty good this morning, so that's where my energies will be playing! And its only 7 miles to the break, unless I surf somewhere down the beach closer to my place, in keeping with my plan to avoid the crowds. (The Jetty on any Sunday is usually crowded, but it will be really packed today).
    Wednesday is looking good for my favorite local lake, although I'm also eyeing Tuesday late afternoon. Its only a 78 mile R.T.
  5. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +562 / 0
    I volunteered to count fish for WDFW. What a thrill.... but, I did my part. It's good to get the local fish biologist on the "same page" as us fly fishers.
  6. Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Whitehorse Mt.
    Ratings: +71 / 0
    My boys and I spent Friday night with my friend who lives on Bosworth. I was going to launch my boat Friday night but the gate was closed. Ended up launching about 9:00 am Sat without waiting. Pulled it out about 4:00pm and my trailer was the only one left at the launch. My boys caught some fish with power bait. My friend and I went out in the boat for about an hour in the afternoon and caught 8 inchers on every cast with an elk hair caddis. I was surprised at the small crowds.
  7. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    Just got back from DF and there was NOBODY there !!!
  8. Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Got out to Pine lake in Sammamish yesterday from 5:30pm-8pm. Lovely day on the lake in a pontoon. The dock was full like normal. caught and released about 25-30 fish. nothing larger than 12". i'm guessing i lost around 15-20 others. Some of the small ones fought really really hard!

I totally agree with kingpuck; it's all about the young kids yelling about getting their first fish. It's pretty funny when they try to convince their dad to bring home the 6" fish to show mom their "HUGE FISH!". :) Those days for me weren't really that long ago. haha
  9. Loren Jensen Active Member

Sedro-Woolley, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    You got SKUNKED on McMurray on opening day?!

Damn.
  10. Plecoptera Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    That wouldn't have been too difficult this year... it was pretty bad. Fish checkers were counting just over a fish per person i believe. Lots of people were coming up empty handed. I had to really put some work in to get the fish I caught. In years past I've caught them as fast as I can put my line in the water. I've noticed the results are correlated to water temps and visibility. When the water is cold and turbid on the opener the fishing has been poor. I guess other lakes near by were the same way this year. Should be good once it warms up though.
  11. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    Probably Obama fault.
  12. Loren Jensen Active Member

Sedro-Woolley, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    HAHA!
  13. Camo Clad Warrior Member

Sedro-Woolley,WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Since i work at a small hunting and fishing store I hear a lot of reports and good ole McMurray has not been giving up many fish this year....
  14. kingpuck new to fly fishing but loving every minute of it

Mountlake Terrace, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    It wasn't much better this year. Last year the fishing was horrible. It was almost as if they forgot to stock the lake but it was cold last year like it was this year. This weather changing is definitely affecting the fishing. The upside to that is many of the lakes have an abundance of holdovers. Kind of funny how nature changing a bit has actually caused the lakes to be more "natural" with fish surviving more than a year before being caught.

The budget "crisis" is also probably having some effect. Always funny to hear the government freaking out when they might have to follow that document they signed...
  15. Topstoy Member

Tonasket, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    I hear you. Nature is mixing it up for us!