2011 Stillwater resolutions

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Dec 12, 2010.

1. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    I know some of you wetsiders are still making the most of 2010 but over here just about all my local options are closed for the season or frozen over.

Thinking about my 2010 on the lakes, it was a solid year. The Basin lakes fished very well in March and April. I spent a week in June exploring Montana checking out some old haunts and new-to-me high elevation lakes that produced better than I expected. In the fall, the October opener at Jameson was great fun and I hope that lake is on an up-cycle because it has such potential.

What I didn’t do in 2010 was get any stillwater trout on dry flies or land a Washington stillwater brown. That’s going to change in 2011.

What's on your list?
  2. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,108 / 0
    fewer lakes, more riffles
  3. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +796 / 1
    Exploring Hancock, Hitting the potholes, Washburn in the spring, maybe venture out of state...
  4. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    Is this the same IveofIone that once had the signature line "Ive Brakes for Lakes"? The same Ive I wanted to try to meet up with to fish lakes in the NE corner during the two years I was living in Spokane but couldn't carve out time to make the trip? Ive of recent Pramathon fame? Swearing off lakes in 2011? The world is a strange place, indeed ;)
  5. IveofIone Active Member

Troutpocket, if you would quit stalling and get your butt over here I will show you some dandy lakes that have good sized fish and little traffic. Finding someone to fish with in these parts is as difficult as Sarah Palin finding someone to talk to at a Mensa conference!

This year I fished more than any year in my life and hit dozens of lakes over the northern tier of counties. But the only flowing water I got to fish was the Pend Oreille River. Although it was very, very good to me it just isn't the same as fishing a mountain stream with snow covered peaks in the background.

"Fewer lakes" doesn't mean none and I have a couple of new sweetheart lakes I will be pounding pretty hard before the skinny water opens up in late June or early July.

So when do you expect to quit procrastinating and visit the NE corner?

Ive
  6. Chef New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    for me, its fishing more and learning how to fish lakes.

Also.... to get used to my pontoon boat more and get into the groove to at least fish once a week during the work week and at least once on the weekend. Also, to tie more flies.
  7. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    beaver ponds... my 2011 new years resolution is to fish stillwater more. who knows how well thats gonna go though
  8. Brett New Member

Anacortes, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    This year I plan to fish lakes much more than in 2010. Amber, Medical, Williams, Coffeepot, Lake Leo, Brown's, McDowell and Bayley are all on the list as well as a few Idaho gems.
  9. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +184 / 6
    I have two goals: 1) Is to finally get a picture of a decent size brown. 2) Catch an Okanogan Carp.
  10. IveofIone Active Member

I dunno Steve.......when it comes to those Okonogan Goldies you have kinda been like a guy in a whorehouse with his pockets stuffed with $100 bills but still can't get laid. I sure hope you break the jinx next year. Be sure to take Roper with you just for good luck. :)

Ive
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,506 / 9
    More days on the water.
    Browns.
    Tigers.
    Easter WA exploration.
    Alpine lakes.
    If I can make all or most of these happen I will be happy.
  12. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    Keep my streak alive by fishing none. If it ain't moving water, I have no interest.
  13. IveofIone Active Member

Brett, Just a reminder-Lake Leo is primarily a crappie fishery. If you love crappie, love to catch 'em, love to eat 'em then this is your lake! They were a little bigger this year than last and just as delicious. Our Thanksgiving dinner this year was Lake Leo crappies dipped in batter made with Jubelale ale and fried in Crisco, skillet sizzled corn bread with honey, broasted red potatoes, fresh made cole slaw and of course cranberries. A modest Reisling complimented the meal and strawberry rhubarb pie with vanilla bean ice cream finished the day. Many of my favorites all at one time.

If you come up this way next year touch bases with me ahead of time. Perhaps we could fish together (a rare occurrence for me) or at the very least I can fill you in on what's hot and what's not. Perhaps even direct you to some gems you are not aware of.

Ive
  14. Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

Mount Vernon, Wa
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    After a year or so of throwing flies around stillwater, I feel like I'm finally beginning to get some productive techniques dialed in. So I want to take a page from Ford Fenders' book and start turning five-fish days into 20- or 30-fish days.
  15. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +438 / 0
    My New Year's resolution is not to make a New Year's Resolution.

That said, I have two things on my bucket list. I want to pick up a new float tube for all of the
    small lakes, and do something with my 14 foot boat. I live within a few miles of several small lakes that I could be fishing on a daily basis. I have not been out way too long.

So when the weather warms, maybe I will be there.
  16. Tony the Trout Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    My resolution is to just fish more.
  17. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +184 / 6
    I don't think Rick will ever step foot (or fin) in "that lake" again. I heard he even cut it out of his maps of the area.
  18. Trout Master Active Member

For me ,it will be fishing east of okanagon county, And trying to top my bow from the methow valley lake that nearly broke my Glx.
    And maybe fishing with Mumbles, and showing him some of my favorite lakes in the methow valley.
  19. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +796 / 1
    Naw, I'll drive by it any day on way to a better lake...
  20. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,506 / 9
    Really? I think that is great, but twisted. You realize that most would put me in their resolutions of "who not to fish with"? That makes you a very twisted gent.