2013 5wt shootout

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ben Swaner, Apr 28, 2013.

1. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +100 / 0
    The Scott A4 does not sell at the price that they have listed and I am assuming that they meant the S4 or that the price is wrong.
    Ryan Bradfield likes this.
  2. santiamflyguy Member

eugene, OR
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Oddly enough, the GPX isn't even a 5 weight line...
  3. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I agree. I pay attention because I am always looking for blanks for winter projects, but figured out that what scores highly in their rankings usually means I will not enjoy casting it. My favorite single hand rod is a Burkie 595 and they slammed its cousin the 590 for the very same reasons that I like it so much. I have also cast several other rods on this review that ranked much higher, but I did not like them.
    Mike Ediger likes this.
  4. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +774 / 2
    This is an important point you make. It's a 5.5 weight line according to the AFTMA standard. But that brings up another flaw in their methodology: They stick that same line on every rod they rate. If you've been in this sport for any length of time, you know that rods can be fickle about which lines they do best with. For example, they rated the Scott G2 905 as a middle-of-pack performer. I'm not surprised, since the GPX would almost certainly overload that rod. I owned that rod for a few years and found that it not only likes a true 5wt line, but one that has a long and gentle front taper (Rio LT was great on it). The GPX is not only heavy overall, but has relatively more weight positioned at the front of the line taper. That's great for super stiff rods IMO, but usually makes softer rods bounce around too much, which plays havoc on tracking and ultimately accuracy. This is all IMO and YMMV, of course.
  5. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +773 / 0
    Looks like they've got some old fellas lovin' on some slow rods.
    Evan Burck likes this.
  6. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,701 / 2
    Pretty much. The Clutch they slammed on is far from being a terrible rod. But it's also probably the fastest rod I've ever cast (which is exactly what they set out to do).
  7. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    Other than something like distance casting, I don't get how it's even remotely possible to objectively evaluate something as subjective as fly casting good rods. Once rod design crosses the threshold of being "good," I think the rest is about subjective personal preference. The shootout establishes preference at the get go by using 5.5 wt lines one all rods, labeled 5 wt. Seems a bit weird to me.
  8. IHV2FSH Member

Northern California
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    I've read all the posts and most seem to be negative. That's disappointing. Some folks getting thier waders in a bunch becasue the rod they like wasn't rated as highly as they feel it should have been, some bashing thier methods, some thier findings, some thier motivation, etc.

C'mon fellas, let's give the guys some appreciation and respect. I'm confident they have casted, fished, sold and evaluated more rods than most of us ever will. Take their report for what it is, an opinion. They're not Consumer Reports. They fully disclosed their metodologies to arrivie at their results. They could just provide a grid of results saying they tested the rods without providing ANY background info or comments for that matter. But we all know this wouldn't have much value to anyone. I'm certain they know it too, that's why they conduct and disclose in the manner they do. I'm good with it.

If you don't ever want to have receive the benefit of one gathering all the equipment, conducting an analysis and providing the results in a public fashon, keep bashing them and I'm sure the shootouts will end. As will the waders and other gear they review.

And let's be real. If they wanted to do this to only sell rods, there's many other avenues they could pursue requiring less work, time and organization.

It's fun, it's entertaining, it's interesting, and a lot of us enjoy these kinds of reviews. I say keep up the good work and I'm looking foward to their next shootout of whatever they decide to review!
  9. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +751 / 2
    Tough to get worked up or even form an opinion based on what someone else thinks of a fly rod. Their results do nothing for me.
    Nick Clayton likes this.
  10. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Why? Just a bunch of guys casting a bunch of rods and writing about it. Some people enjoy reading about it and others don't give it .02 worth of time. I'd say, respect and appreciate that.
  11. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Btw, Thier is spelled their.

Only thing their shootout was good for is getting my post count above 2800.

;)
    dfl and Gary Knowels like this.
  12. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    For the fact that they used a gpx line versus a real 5wt line. I would not use this as a gauge of casting ability at all. I love a rod that will handle true weight's, so that I can determine whether or not I would like to overline it.
  13. Ben Swaner Member

Walla Walla
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    I love the responses to this post. Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope! I think there should be a forum rod shoot out with the resident experts testing a bunch of the latest rods. The results would be entertaining.
    dfl likes this.
  14. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Should we all nod our heads and say "wow, that's fantastic"?

9 pages of atta boys sure would be entertaining.

If it comes to a forum shootout, I'll leave that to the pros. I'd rather just fish.
  15. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I agree that rod preference is subjective, but there are a couple of things I take away from these shootouts:
    1. Undervalued rods; i.e. the $400 dollar rods (St. Croix & Beulah) that are just a few points below the "top-tier" rods. I certainly may want to further investigate the Mystic Reaper @ $199.
    2. Rods that are under rated; several in the test (Elkhorn for one) were deemed a true 6 or even 7 weight.
    Ben Swaner likes this.
  16. Ben Swaner Member

Walla Walla
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    If it comes to a forum shootout, I'll leave that to the pros. I'd rather just fish
    [/quote]

I agree. My link to the shoot out was purely to show what others thought of the latest rods and not for people to carry on and complain about what they didnt like about the test....You'd be an idiot to buy an upper end rod without testing it out for yourself. I always like to get as much info as I can before I lay down the cash for a new stick.
  17. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,035 / 1
    Wisdom from PT. I agree with this.
    Ben Swaner likes this.
  18. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +872 / 0
    name one other thing they could do to sell more rods and increase their shop's reach.
  19. IHV2FSH Member

Northern California
    1. Buy all Costco's Sage inventory and resell for a small profit.;)
  20. IHV2FSH Member

Northern California
    Then go fish. Every post in this thread from you is negative. Bad day at work?

BTW, proper grammar would have a comma after the word say, as in "Should we all nod our heads and say, "wow, that's fantastic"?
    Ben Swaner likes this.