Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

2013 Crane fly Swap

Swap 
9K views 79 replies 7 participants last post by  riseform 
#1 ·
I'm convinced crane flies are one of the most underrated trout flies of Fall. I've spent hours watching trout become airborne for flies they are obviously tracking under the surface in hopes of timing a near touch down at the surface. While I'd guess I've tied six different crane fly patterns over the last few years, I have yet to find the perfect imitation.

Given that Fall is such a great season for virtually all outdoor activities, it is not ideal for swaps. I think this has made exposure to crane fly patterns suffer from a swap perspective. Winter, however, is a different story. I'm proposing a swap in hopes of gathering the collective wisdom and experience from this board in a quest for new patterns to experiment with next Fall.

I'm hoping for 10 -12 participants. Ideally, all flies would be dry fly versions (no larvae please) with a description of the best technique (dead drift, skated, etc) for the given pattern included at some point here in the thread. The holidays are a busy time of year, so I'm thinking of a Groundhog Day due date (Feb 2nd).

For those who may not be into swaps but have insight into patterns or techniques for fishing crane flies, I welcome their input for teaching purposes to further spur conversation on this topic. From my own perspective, I have patterns that have worked well skated in riffles or dead drifted along a seam. I have yet to find a pattern or technique that will reliably raise trout in the calm stretches of water where I frequently see them aggressively chasing originals.

I will tie one of the flies pictured above, most likely Quigley's spider crane.

1) Riseform.............................. ......(done)
2) Calvin1.......................................Flies received
3) hooked1 (Scott)............................Flies received
4) steeli.........................................Flies received
5) kelvin.........................................Flies received
6) Pat Lat.......................................Flies received

See less See more
#37 ·
I'm still working on my final pattern and scoured a couple fly shops over the weekend for a material.
Found it on line so this weekend should be cranking them out. Will need the Feb 2 deadline to complete.
If others want two each, I could go with it. I'd likely have two different patterns not two the same.

#38 ·
One set down, I tied them with the elk hair wing, it helps the fly stay upright since it is tied USD.
I still want to know what the concensus is on the ammount of flies/patterns everyone is sending in, If we want to do two patterns I will have to do some experimenting to make a pattern that is swap worthy, If not I can whip up 5 more of the same in a night.

On a side note, I have seen flies that look like craneflies on some mountain streams last summer, only they were a pale green, has anyone else seen flies like this?

#41 ·
Great looking flies! I've been away chasing humuhumunukunukuapua'a but I'm glad to see things are rolling along nicely.

Tie as many flies or patterns as you desire and I will distribute them fairly. No one is required to do more than one pattern or fly per participant, particularly if it is a time consuming tie.

As the host of what turned out to be a small swap, I still plan to submit several patterns to keep things interesting. Two of them are essentially done. I really like the Oliver Edwards fly that Ron posted over the holidays and may try to duplicate that as a third.

#43 ·
Just wanted to remind people we are down to just under two weeks. I'm still waiting on materials for the Oliver Edwards fly (legs) I ordered before the holidays. If they don't make it, I'll come up with something else. The other two patterns are complete.

Had to improvise while tying away from home this weekend...forgot my hair stacker.
Brush Joss stick Food Ingredient Wood

#44 ·
Just wanted to remind people we are down to just under two weeks. I'm still waiting on materials for the Oliver Edwards fly (legs) I ordered before the holidays. If they don't make it, I'll come up with something else. The other two patterns are complete.

Had to improvise while tying away from home this weekend...forgot my hair stacker.
View attachment 23182
I have a similar situation for ordered supplies a couple weeks ago. Company took my money now doesn't reply. Their 888 number just has a repeated answering service message saying 'customer service is not available'.....not a good sign..next will be contacting my credit card company. I'll get a different pattern done this coming weekend; half way through...not what I wanted to send but still it's an effective skating fly...

#50 ·
I'm done with mine; send address please.
Pattern I'm ending up with doesn't have those cool looking legs but is a tougher pattern meant to be skated. Found this one in a Idaho shop and worked good on a well known river there. I'm including a couple ties each as know this version much easier to tie than the more intricate wing and leg patterns.
The material I was trying to find was tan ultra chenille vernille mini size and same thing in blue for an awesome damsel pattern I know. Tied right the vernille has a real cool effect when on the water surface.

#56 ·
Good news, heard from Scott and hi flies will be in mail soon.

Received two boxes in mail today.

One was steeli's excellent flies! I think you're all going to be happy.

The other was a rejection letter returning my articulated streamer pattern submitted to Rainy's over a year ago. Damn! Caught tons of fish on that pattern including a 24" brown last year. Oh well.

#57 ·
Good news, heard from Scott and hi flies will be in mail soon.

Received two boxes in mail today.

One was steeli's excellent flies! I think you're all going to be happy.

The other was a rejection letter returning my articulated streamer pattern submitted to Rainy's over a year ago. Damn! Caught tons of fish on that pattern including a 24" brown last year. Oh well.
can you post picture of your articulated fly?

#58 ·
I tied it for Mike's streamer swap, supposed to mimic an (articulated) fleeing crayfish, hence called the AFC.

My original concept was to try and mimic a shell back and a scooped tail like a natural as it was fleeing through the water. There is a hidden conehead just back from the front to give it a jigging action and the white belly and legs splay out nicely between strips. Lately I've been using hidden dumbell eyes instead of the conehead which makes it easier to tie.
This was my original prototype. The marabou fouled when tied like this and when the back feathers got wet the profile became too thin and lost the scoop effect. I ultimately settled on chickabou.

Previous versions:
Head Eyelash Feather Wing Invertebrate
Insect Arthropod Feather Wing Pest

I still fish it with a lot of confidence in Montana.
Water Vertebrate Underwater Organism Marine biology
Arthropod Insect Artificial fly Fishing lure Pollinator

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.