2013 Salmon

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Some really good tips here. Thank you all for the advice I will keep them all in mind. There are still slivers out there my friend landed one yesterday, also landed a hog of a Cut. She was down the beach from me about 30 yards. I though it was a sliver it was that big. I would have loved to have gotten a pix but she needed to get it safely back in the water. MA10

2. nic

nic Member

great post, Nick!

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Dime, is this essentially what you did that last time we were all on the beach? Matt hooked up first, and at first I saw you stripping in and getting out of the way. Next thing I know I see you fire off a quick cast and was quickly hooked up. I didn't think much about it at the time, but it seems like it matches up to this comment. It certainly proved to me that it's worth such efforts.

4. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Guilty. I'm a fan of picking off an easy silver while my fellow friendly angler is playing their salmon. I am very careful not to cast back into the school until it looks like the hooked fish won't run up the beach towards me.
    Also, when I lose a salmon I immediately cast back into the moving school so I can hook up again with a riled up silver.

mtskibum16 and Nick Clayton like this.
  5. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Great stuff here. It's the little details like this that separate those who catch an occasional fish, and those who catch frequently. It was awesome to witness that. That's something I want to pay more attention to next year.

6. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

That seemed to work for me with pinks this year. A couple of times I had lost a pink and cast back into the school and several times had fish come up and hit the fly on the surface immediately after it hit the water.

7. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Considering the behavior Keith and I saw from my boat, it makes perfect sense. More than once a group of riled up silvers chased a hooked fish to the boat. Next year I will definitely be more prepared to recognize those opportunities, and be ready to take advantage of them.

8. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    I saw you do that one of those days too. Lost one, blasted a cast right back out, hooked another.

9. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Fly fishing together as a group is a very effective way to locate salmon on the beach and lock in on the type of fly, retrieve, line weight, etc needed to catch them consistently. It's tougher being out there by yourself having to do all the searching and keeping motivated when the fishing is marginal. I love double hook-ups on the beach, especially when the gear folks are having a tough time (it blows their minds when flies are catching salmon).

Nick Clayton likes this.
  10. Tony James

Tony James Member

Excellent post Nick - congratulations on an awesome year. It's a beautiful thing to watch a student become a teacher . . . and then the transition back and forth becomes seamless. Your son is a lucky young man! There might be a steelhead somewhere out there waiting for your downstream presentation... just sayin! :) thanks for sharing.

11. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Bump. I know he's a monster who never helps anyone and is tight lipped about beach spots, but there's still some good info in here. Edit: It's also worth noting how many threads Nick has started like "Open Seat Tomorrow" before accusing him of being anything less than a stand-up guy.

Irafly, plaegreid, High Flyin and 3 others like this.
  12. Nick Clayton

Media:
    There is definitely a theme of the KBG showing themselves to provide lots of good info in many of these threads. What a bunch of selfish jerks!

Bagman and emmccauley like this.
  13. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    I just picked up a grip of knowledge! Good stuff!

14. emmccauley

emmccauley Active Member

Posts like this and members like Nick Clayton are why I value this forum so much. I recently moved here and was lost when it came to fishing the salt for coho. I learned more in this 2013 Salmon thread than I did in a dozen+ trips to various local fly shops.
    Having recognized Nick as one of the key members of this community, I PM’d him a few weeks back for some more specific (non -location based) questions. He actually invited me to go out fishing with him – which I thought was extremely classy, particularly since I had never met the guy. Nick took me to a few different spots in his neck of the woods and to one beach that I had never heard of before. He also gave me a couple of his clousers and showed me how to tie them. I thought this was more than generous and cant wait to get out and fish with him, and other members of this board, again soon.

Anytime you get a forum full of passionate anglers together there will be healthy debates that take place. But after reading hundreds and hundreds of posts here, I do think there is an underlying level of respect and appreciation for everyone in this community. I for one fall into this category. So thank you again Nick, and Dime,Stonefish, etc. etc. etc, for you continued willingness to share valuable knowledge with people like me….and to CLO for making me spit out my drink everytime you post another meme. Now I need to go author another coho beach map that I can sell to an East side fly shop….(too soon to joke??)

Nick Clayton, Dipnet, Irafly and 4 others like this.