24 inch Yak rainbow?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by BDD, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Caddis Skater

Caddis Skater Member

Check The Yakima River report by Keven Samulson on page 2 of this forum, this fish is a confirmed Steelhead and was landed just below Ringer boat launch on the 12 of February.

2. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Confirmed? How?

I'm not disagreeing with you but based on the opinions of this board and others, the only sure way to tell if an O. myiss is in resident form or anadromous is to check the scales, otoliths, PIT tag, or CWT data. I'm pretty sure you guys didn't carry the equipment with you to check for tags. Did Zach collect scales for analysis and get the results back or were you just basing that assumption on the fact that some steelhead were documented as passing through Roza, and that it is a really nice fish and really looks steelheadish?

When we going fishing? Weather is starting to turn.

3. Caddis Skater

Caddis Skater Member

Dave,

My quote is based on the fact that I am 100% positive that a 28"-29"
    resident fish does not exist in this river system. If resident fish of this size were in the river these fish would show up in the studies done by fish and wildlife, i.e. snorking-shocking and rod and reel studies. Also the photos of this fish were observed by multiple employees of fish and wildlife, all of which stated this was a reconditioned Steelhead. Also I am 100% sure some Steelhead have breached Roza dam and are in the system.

In my opinon the 24" fish caught by DC, may in fact be a resident fish, not a fish 8+pounds. :thumb:

Call me anytime for a day on the river, I am always looking for someone to row. :rofl:

Peace ! :cool: