Woolly bugger body

What material do you use for your woolly buggers. ultra chenelle? chenelle? estaz? estaz metalique? I tried ice chenelle but it has 0 durabilty and the a lot of it fell off as i was tying leaving a white string.

All depends on the finished look you want. Chenelle is probably the most common. Rickard uses seal. Simi-seal works great in a dubbing loop. Estaz makes a great body without any hackle. You must have got some bad ice chenelle, mine has worked great.

Zen Piscator

Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.
You could always just put flash in the tail. crystal chenelle or cactus chenelle works well. I use peacock alot.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
If you are into tying up W/B's. Go to a Craft Store and see what they have to offer. You can drive your self nuts on what they have to offer.

Jim

steve s

You can use anything that you want for the body of a woolly bugger. I usually use chenille or some sort of dubbing. Antron dubbing works great. I will usually pick out some of the dubbing after I have palmered the hackle to give the fly a buggier look. I don't like using antron yarn for the body, I just don't like the way that it looks.
Good luck,

Steve S

Rory McMahon said:
I tried ice chenelle but it has 0 durabilty and the a lot of it fell off as i was tying leaving a white string.
The trick I use with materials like ice chenille is to get twice the amount I need, double it over itself, tie in both ends, and then twist it into a tight rope with something like your hackle pliers before winding it on as the body (much like making a dubbing loop but the "dubbing" is the material already on the string). This traps in all the little plastic "fingers" and makes it quite durable.