Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cutthroat Fly Swap

Swap 
4K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  Dick Ross 
#1 ·
**REVISION**
Swap closed. We have 7 tiers. Let's tie a dozen a piece so each participant gets 2 of that special pattern you whip up. If you can have them to me by May 25, they should be on your doorstep or in your mailbox by the 2nd of June - that fateful Saturday where it all hits the fan.

Shipping Address:
Jake Smulkowski
422 E Lewis St.
Moscow, ID 83843

Good afternoon!

I would like to play swapmaster for a cutthroat fly swap. Here is my thought - many of us have favorite flies for some of those streams like Kelly Crick, the Joe, NF CDA, MF Salmon, etc. Those of you who fish the westside may have a special fly for those resident cutts. Of course, your chosen fly would vary throughout the year, but we all have a special spot for that one fly that we are truly confident with. Maybe it's a classic like a yellow humpy or BWO, maybe it's a summer fly like a Madame X or a stimulator or parachute hopper. Maybe you have a killer 'Tober caddis imitation. "Maybe it's something really cool that I don't even know about." Tie up your favorite, your most productive, or your most innovative. Let's gauge the interest prior to April 1st and set a date of May 25 to get them in so we can fish them when June hits.

My hope is that we might be able to introduce each other to patterns that we might not know because they are innovative, or because they are not used in our region very often. How about if we tie 2 flies of one pattern per participant.

1. Jake Smulkowski - St. Joe Sculpin
2. roadhog - Orange Crush
3. stclairj - TBD
4. seanengman - Thunder Creek Silver Shiner
5. baitwaister - TBD
6. scottflycst- TBD
7. Ned and Jane - TBD

See less See more
#11 ·
Swap closed. We have 7 tiers. Let's tie a dozen a piece so each participant gets 2 of that special pattern you whip up. If you can have them to me by May 25, they should be on your doorstep or in your mailbox by the 2nd of June - that fateful Saturday where it all hits the fan. I will send out a PM to all participants with my contact info.

#12 ·
OK, I have a lot of patterns I use, and some are for smaller rivers and some for larger. Maybe if everyone could say what type of river they are most often going to be fishing these flies in that would help me decide. Large River (Yakima sized, 1500-4000cfs), medium river (Bitterroot, 250-1500cfs), or small river (Teanaway River, 50-450cfs). Basically I don't want to tie up a bunch of gigantic chernobyl type flies or streamers if most of us fish little creeks. Talk to you all soon, this should be fun!

James

#14 ·
Jake, right on! got your msg. Sounds like most of you fish fresh water cutts. I'll tie for that. Lots of great patterns to choose from, I'll send you guys a few hotties you may not have seen/fished before.

#26 ·
mine will be in the mail today, tuesday. I also did 6 and 6 for ya all. 6 of the orange crush (dry/emerager combo could be either depending on water speed.) and 6 of a white dry fly. imho one of the most over looked colors for cutts is white. i have done very well with white flies. hope ya all like them. roadhog :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.