Bass under the dock at Ballinger

I drove down to Ballinger today just to check it out, ive actually never been there. I hadn't planned it so i didn't have my fly rod with me. I walked on the dock, there were 3 guys using powerbait. One guy had 2 fish on a stringer hanging down in the water. I looked down to see this huge bass eying the trout. And when i say huge is mean HUGE. It would have to be close to 10 lbs. It was probably around 27-29".

Nick Riggs

I've been known to fish from time to time...
Someone just broke the Largemouth world record with a 29 in. fish. I seriously doubt there was one that big in Ballinger.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
There are some huge Bass in that lake. Used to see the gear boys pulling some big ones out back in the day when I used to fish with bait.

Jim

PT

Physhicist
I've caught quite a few in the 3-6 pound range there. I've spent very little time targeting them but when I would fish for them had quite a bit of "luck".

Had a Bass at Lake Desire for many years that would strip people stringer of trout. For years people tried to catch it. Far as I know no one ever did. Used to be pretty funny to some one pull a stringer out of the water to find their trout dinner gone.

Had a Bass at Lake Desire for many years that would strip people stringer of trout. For years people tried to catch it. Far as I know no one ever did. Used to be pretty funny to some one pull a stringer out of the water to find their trout dinner gone.
Bass have a bad reputation as a non-native species but they got some smarts! The more I fish for them, the more I respect them.

PT

Physhicist
They are a non-native species best served with a little lemon pepper cooked on a cast iron skillet with butter. Mmmmmmmmm.....

alpinetrout

Banned or Parked
I thought the bass in washington were considered dangerous to eat because of mercury.
Statewide Bass Advisory: Women of childbearing age and children should consume NO more than 2 meals of bass per month. A study of 20 lakes and rivers in Washington State revealed that smallmouth and largemouth bass had elevated levels of mercury.

PT

Physhicist
They wouldn't be my main course every night but a couple every now and then go down pretty well. Look at all the other crap we eat. The chicken we eat grow to adult/eating size in what.... a week.

Can you say steroids?

We camp at Lk Roosevelt every year and they are part of the health advisory Alpine put up. We eat smallmouth maybe every other day for a week and that's pretty much it for the year. But, boy do they taste yummmmmmmy. The diesel exhaust coming out of all those damn buses worries me even more.;)