Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Nantahala River - Great Smoky Mountain N.P>

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Coach Duff 
#1 ·
I just enjoyed an incredible weekend of fishing in the GSMNP! It is just beautiful with mainly deciduous trees highlighted by HUGE hemlocks. The water is of moderate size with waterfalls ranging form hundreds of feet to just a few. The smaller create excellent plunge pool fishing that flatten out into nice riffles. The hatches were off the hook. This is really the first time I've been in a great hatch since moving out here. It started with BWO in the AM, but by mid-day the Caddis were so thick they were in your mouth. After a great morning fishing BWO nymphs and emergers, we switched to size 14 and 16 peacock caddis dries. They produced take after take after take. By the late afternoon, some huge March browns were coming off the water. What a day!

I hooked around 40 fish and landed 35 or so, while Lance my mate for the day did even better. I guess that's what you call the home field advantage!

If you ever get a chane, get out the the Nantahala. You will not regret it!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Very very nice! What a beautiful area that is. I spent a summer working at the Oak Ridge labs in the 1970's and did a lot of white water canoeing on the rivers in that area, including the Nantahala, which was my favorite. I wasn't into fly fishing then, but I remember the stream well (of course the white water boaters would time their runs with the releases from the dam, so the water was much higher at the time I was on the river).
Thanks for the pics.
Dick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.