Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Massachusetts Estuary Fishing

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  yuhina 
#1 ·
This morning I went striper fishing. I went with a with guide named Barry Richards out of Essex, Massachusetts. The Essex River Basin is a tidal marsh north of Boston. It's popular for kayakers, birdwatchers, clamers, and fishermen. Lots of history in the area as it was one of the biggest boatbuilding towns back in the day. Despite the popularity, the marsh allows for a lot of privacy with lots of little islands and hidden coves all over. I even saw the island that "the Crucible" was filmed on. It's easy access with a train heading there from Boston's North Station every hour during the day. No need for a license in salt in Massachussetts. Also, Essex has some nice restaurants (including the birthplace of fried clams) and antiques stores that could serve nicely as a bargaining chip with your significant other.
Barry Richards was a good guy with donuts and coffee waiting for us as we arrived. He also knows a lot about both fishing gear and fly fishing. This was big as a lot of guides specialize in one or the other. So my Dad could fish gear while I fly fished. The boat was a a 1999 19ft Key West sport fisherman, allowing us to access a lot of different spots in a short period of time.
Most the the fishing was done on 7, 8, and 9 weight rods with Jim Teeny lines w/sinking tip. Wire leaders in case of encounters with Bluefish.
It was a slow day for Barry's standards but we got about a dozen fish in 5 hours. Mostly stripers, but a few blues. So it was a lot of fun. The scenery was amazing and I think it was definitely the most scenic fishing trip I've ever been on.
The only thing I would suggest is to bring your own gear. My guide had great gear: Thomas and Thomas rods with Teeny lines. But casting a rod that I've never picked up before with a weighted line and wire leader was difficult. I did alright, but I would have loved to have practiced on the rods for just an hour or two before game time.
All in all, I highly recommend a trip to the North Shore for some salt action.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi Sloan,

Sounds like a nice day on the water. There are a number of nice shore spots where you can catch schoolies from shore. When visiting my family in Dorchester, I used to fish a small tidal stream in north Quincy which pumped out enough bait to bring in small stripers. Plus, there are a number of smaller streams / rivers and estuaries on the North Shore (Plum Island, Merrimac River) which have similar conditions. Of course, there is also the long beaches of Cape Cod.

I'm not sure how well the outer islands in Boston Harbor are for striper fishing, but they might be worth a look too.

Enjoy,

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.