3 or 4 wt

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nol, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Nol

Nol Needs to fish more..

I'm looking to buy a 3 or 4wt outfit. Does anyone know of a decent inexpensive combo out there???

2. Greg Miller

Greg Miller meat-head

Define inexpensive.

Redington is pretty inexpensive, as is St. Croix. TFO is another choice.

Try doing a search on the sight as the topic has been covered numerous times.

If you can't find the info you are looking for, I am sure someone out here that has more knowledge can better help you.

Good luck,

gm

3. Nol

Nol Needs to fish more..

I was hoping in the $75-100+- range.

4. Islander

Islander Steve

I bought a TFO 3wt earlier this year and feel it is a great rod for the money. I know Cabelas has a good range of "combo deals" depending on your definition of inexpensive. Best thing to do is to hit a few shops or shows and try some rods. I went to a FFshow 2 days in Feb. and must have tried 20 different rods. Talk about information overload. :eek: You will find most of the big brands and a bunch of smaller outfits also. I ended up buying a back up 5wt from a Colo. company called Elkhorn. They had a decent rod and reel combo at a "show special" I just couldn't refuse.

5. flyrodf

flyrodf New Member

After catching salmon and steelhead the past 3 or 4 years, I decided to get a 3 wt from cabellas for trout fishing. I can't remember the exact model, but it was a low cost 3 piecer - about $40 - $50. Haven't fished with it yet - but I could not believe it when I easily cast it about 60' in my back yard with a 4 wt line.
    rflyrodf