3 piece or 4 piece

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Thiago - Brazil, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Thiago - Brazil

Thiago - Brazil Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Many prefer the 4 piece configuration for convenience, but I dont know why I prefer the 3 piece, maybe because it reminds me of my first rods.
    There are very few main factories that produces 3 piece rods
    Scott STS - WW series
    Thomas Paradigm
    Winston WT
    Gloomis CC

Which do you prefer 3 or 4 pieces and why?

2. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

A four-section rod travels better and breaks down shorter. There is no advantage to a three-secition rod from my perspective. I own all four-section rods except for a coupld of long, 5-section rods from Jim Teeny; both are 10-footers. The 10-foot Teeny rods are the same length as a four-secition 9-footer when they are broken down.
    Cheers,
    Les

3. Porter

Porter Active Member

Four piece > convenience, performance.

Two piece > envy of those with a 4 piece.

4. lx-88

lx-88 Member

Media:
    4-piece straps onto my backpack better, packs into the car better, travels on planes better, and gets shoved into a closet better.

5. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

That is the only reason to have a 2, 3, 4 piece rods, convenience. That's why they cut them in half in the first place was convenience.

I own one three piece rod, it stays in my SUV. All my other rods are 2 piece. The old therory in the good old days was that the more pieces the less sensitive the rod. So I have never considered anything but a 2 piece rod. However, one of my young friends let me use his 4 piece Sage and I was surprised that it threw a fly very well.

Keith

6. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Scott Fibertouch are three piece rods. Love the rods, don't like the three piece configuration. The good thing is they are light line rods, already fairly short. I just prefer rods that break down evenly.

7. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    I like a 4 piece because when you break it down (in half) in the boat or car they are the same length. Makes it easy to throw in a rod tube.
    Kirk

8. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    All good

Nails it for me.. My rods are assembled most of the time and fish locally out of reel on the rod type case/s. When a guy gets to travel a bit they can be broke down completely and carried in the tube for safest compact option.

When bush wacking it's nice to break a rod cleanly in the middle and have only two sections to handle.

I've got a couple older 3pc Scott's [8' & 9'] they dont travel to bad. 10' and up can be more of a handfull.

9. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    All good

Same comments.

An even-piece (2, 4, 6, or 8 piece) rod can be treated like a 2 piece rod and broken down into even length sections. Most of the time most people don't need the convenience of a multi-piece rod, so treating it like a 2 piece has advantages for ease of assembly and practical portability, etc.

My rods all go in to a reel-on rod case, and with a 4 piece I can string up the rod ahead of time, attach a fly and reel the fly up the tip top, stick in to a 2 piece case with the tip top at the top of the case, and the fly doesn't get stuck in to anything.

I have 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 piece rods, and the 4 piece rods are the best overall configuration, in my opinion. Unless I want to fit the rod in my carry-on suitcase that fit in the plane's overhead bin; the 6 piece is the best, then.

10. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    I'm old school and prefer the two piece configuration. They are a pain to bush wack, but im used to it. I mean most of my two rods are less then 2oz. they are light in hand and preform better then the multi piece rods, IMO. There isent that extra Ferrel weight.

11. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

All good

iagree

12. TexBC

TexBC Fly Addict

4 piece, for most all of the reasons stated above. Unfortunately, my favourite rod to play with is a 3-piece (T&T 4wt), and I won't sell it in order to get a 4-piece because it has sentimental value (highschool grad prez from my parents 10 years ago).

:D
    Tex

13. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Just my opinion, but 3 pc rods are a pain. I've own one and that will be the last.
    2,4 or 6 pc for me from now on.

14. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
  15. later Peter

later Peter New Member

Home Page:
    keep a 6 piece in the WESTFALIA... you drive one too, right?
    I like the symetry of 4 piece... but 3 pieces seem to transfer energy a bit better.... to me.
    later,
    Peter

16. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Present engineering and technology makes the extra ferrules in 4 pc graphite rods no longer an issue for power or sensitivity transfer, IMO. I keep my 2 and 3 pc rods for the salt, locally. Convenience is a major issue for travelling, whether by plane, back packing, or biking.