3 W line

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by vmthtr in green bay, Apr 11, 2011.

1. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

Got a Orvis 3w rod and need some line for it. Using it for small spring fed streams for Brookies. What is a good one.

Mike

2. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    I have Rio gold on my 4wt and love it........all around great line. They make it in a WF and DT depending on what you are use to casting. Depending on price range there is alot of great line out there.

3. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

If it were me, I'd call Orvis headquarters and ask them. Ask to talk with someone familiar with fly rod design. I've done that with Scott and Sage before and it's worked out for me every time.

4. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Media:
    I have a sage 3wt and use Rio Gold on it.... love it.

5. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    All dry? Mostly short range? Heavily complicated aerial mends? Need to know answers to that.

If casting 15 to 20 feet of line the vast majority of time I go up one size. If it's general dry fly casting in the open I like a Wulff. If it's really tight quarters and I'm doing rope tricks I like a double taper, or a WF to load the rod quick and throw tight loops with little flicks.

It's all about personal preference and casting style, but if you have solid answer for how far you are going to be casting most of the time the 3 vs 4 question can be answered easily. After that, unless you have a preference for something like a wulff, or a double taper, I just go with the highest quality line at the best price.

6. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I have an orvis 3 wt and had a problem with the normal weight forwards. when I was on the LeTort I went into the local fly shop and bought a wulff triangle taper dry line and it really solved the problem. It is my favorite line for the 3 wt. Different strokes for different folks but that is what I would advise.

7. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

This thread is a good example of being cautious about choosing a line. The Rio Gold and Wulff TT are two lines I currently use (among others), but they are very different. They weight roughly the same for the first 30', but that weight is distributed along that 30' differently. The Rio Gold puts a lot more weight up front, so it loads at shorter distances. The TT taper ramps up weight evenly from 0' to 30', with the bulk of the weight closer to 30', so it starts to load at longer distances but that taper roll casts like nothing else I've ever used.

Another suggestion: Go to a shop and try a few lines on the rod.

8. Porter

Porter Active Member

Rio Gold or Classic 444 Peach

9. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I like the Rio Gold. If ya go back to Orvis, wait for one of their coupons and save a few $'s. Leland will set you up.

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    This guy is coming to you all from Green Bay, Wisc. I don't think he is going top show up where Leland works.

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Trust this guy. Trust his advice. Know if you will be working in close or reaching out farther. It does matter.

12. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    There may be some who read this thread that may think "why complicate things just go buy a 3 wt line and fish" But I believe that line selection for any rod regardlesss of weight is the most important decision you make. If it is wrong you may be able to cast it but it wont be enjoyable and that is what fly fishing should be "enjoyable".
    If there is a pro shop nearby see if they have a few lines you can try on your rod. (they should) Try a double taper, a weight forward and maybe a 3 1/2 like a rio grand.
    Cast it like you're fishing at the distances you normally fish and then buy the line that works for you at that shop and maybe a few flies too.
    jesse

13. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Okay, Jim, didn't see that but ya never know, he may be itching for a trip out here. Maybe even stop in Dillon on the way....

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Talking about a 3wt line. Well when I fish my 3wt's, I'm usually on a small stream where 25 foot casts are the max. So I went with a cheaper line as the fish where I go are not that big. But there are several different kinds. Rocky Mountain Whitefish, West slope Cutts, and RB's and Grayling.

I picked up a Rio Mainstream Under $40.00. 3wt/f