3 weight recommendations

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by DSFlyman, Mar 12, 2009.

1. DSFlyman

DSFlyman Member

Home Page:
    My birthday present to myself... budget is better. Any small rod fans out there with some direction for me?

2. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    I have a Sage FLi 3wt and St Croix Avid 3wt. Both fine rods but favorite it the St.Croix. Good bang for the buck, casts like a dream on the Forks of the Snoqualmie and on the Cedar river ... not on the overly expensive side of things too.

Stew

3. Islander

Islander Steve

I have the TFO Pro series in 3wt. It's a sweet little rod for the money. :thumb:

4. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

ill second Stew. I have a 3wt avid, its by far my favorite rod for casting dries on our spring creeks. she cast a tight loop and can do it with very minimum effort.

5. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    I built a 2pc 7'6" 3wt on an American Matrix blank. It's a bit on the fast side, but is a nice little stick. The blank was about $50 I think.

6. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    So many good options in the lighter rods, all over the price range. I will give you a few options as I move up the $$$ ladder.
    As flybill pointed out, you can build your own for less than $100 total if you don't use top of the line hardware, and you can get some very nice blanks in that price range, too many to mention. Even more options if you move up another $50-$100, but that isn't really necessary.
    For about $80 the Bass Pro Shops White River Hobbs Creek (not sure why they need so many names) rod is great. Probably won't have a warranty other than what the store will do for you but it really is a nice rod.
    Cabelas also has some very nice rods in the lighter weights, like the Clear Creek. You can often find them on the close-out rack (not bargain cave) for close to $50. Regardless of what people tell you, any rod with the Cabelas name on it basically has a life-time warranty if you walk it into the store. They have the best customer service in the business.
    Can't go wrong with the TFO finesse line. Very nice.
    I have fished the Avid and Legend Ultra in the St Croix lines, both are great.
    For the cream of the crop in my opinion, the Sage TXL is an amazing rod. I think my 7'10" is the great rod ever made. While I seem buy and sell a lot of gear, that one will go to the grave with me. Hands down my favorite rod in any length or wt.
    Well, those are just the ones I have experience with.
    In my opinion there are so many great rods in the 3wt range that you almost can't go wrong. I think quality is a lot more important as you move up in rod weights (5,6,7,etc).
    So just find something that you like and go for it.
    Mike
    p.s. did I tell you the TXL was the greatest rod ever made. don't even check it out if you aren't willing to spend the $$, cause you may fall in love just by picking it up.

7. Keaten LaBrel

Keaten LaBrel Formerly Tyinbugs

Media:
    the echo carbon 3wt!!!!

8. elroostere

elroostere Member

Yep, I made the mistake of casting a 7'10" TXL 3wt and had to buy it. So just don't even pick the thing up. I like the Launch 3wt as well, much more affordable.

9. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    Clear Creek rods were discountinued last year...the new line is called TQR (Tight Quarters Rods). I have a Clear Creek 1wt and it's a fine little rod.

If you're on a real tight budget or aren't looking to spend much....I have a 7ft 3wt Eagle Claw IM6 Granger XG rod (the only 3wt version) which has served me well for the last 2-3yrs. I think most would be surprised on how decent of a rod it is. You can find one on eBay for as little as $30 plus shipping.

10. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    St Croix Avid is my vote. I love the rod. Casts dries great and can even handle a double nymph rig well.

11. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Media:
    I love my Sage Launch. Great rod for the $$$

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I have a TFO Finesse 7'9" 3wt. It is a med/fast rod. It has done everything I have asked it to do. I paid $179.95 for it in Montana. A lot cheaper here than in Washington(no stupid sales tax).

Jim

13. Jefffly

Jefffly The more we know, the less we can learn!

iagree

14. Jeff

Jeff Member

Another vote for St Croix. Both the SC3 (moderate) & SC4 (fast) are great blanks.

-Jeff

15. Dick Warnke

Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

I was wiggling a TFO 8'9" 3 wt. at Sportco last weekend, don't recall the Model but was thinking, if I didn't already have more rods than I need I'd buy it in a heart beat. Sweet rod for around $180.00.

16. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    I had no idea such a thing was even possible!

17. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Media:
    How does the Carbon compare with the Classic rod? I love my 4wt Classic, though it's a bit heavy. I'm interested in the new Echos, maybe for stripers. As for that 3 weight, I have an Albright, and it's absolutely awesome. I use a WF4 line on it since "rivers" out here are 30-200 cfs.

18. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

I just bought a Reddington RS4 8' 3wt. I had cast a 5 and 6 weight RS4 some time ago and thought they were outstanding, especially for the money. I'd been looking for a lighter weight rod to hit some creeks this summer. I almost bought one several times at Sportsmans Warehouse ($210) but when they went on sale for $120 I couldn't resist. Bummer is , now they're $99.00:eek: IMO, this is a screaming deal for a rod that gives up very little to more expensive gear, both in performance and quality. I've cast plenty of more expensive rods that I didn't like as much. Matter of fact, I'm thinking about picking up a 5 weight too. If you can afford it the CPS, Reddington's premium line, is on sale for around $150.00. I liked that you could get a 7'6" in the CPS, but didn't want the faster action rod. I'd describe the RS4 as medium-fast, with the CPS being fast-medium, if that makes sense.

19. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

I have a Winston Vapor 4wt that makes me wet every time I use it.Ha ha.I nice rod slow fast action(I think that might be medium).A very nice feel.If you look on ebay you can find new rod with free fly line.

20. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

I love my TXL. great rod.