3 wt Reel

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Rob Ast, Aug 20, 2007.

1. coffeeand trout

coffeeand trout New Member

I use a Galvan Standard 2.75, has about 30 yds 10 lb. backing and a smooth as silk drag, used it on big fish on Omak lake with 5X tippet and didn't lose a fish to busted tippet, a couple of fish were in the 5+ lb. range. Granted, if it had been Rainbows, it'd be a different story. Around $160.00 but well worth the money and a nice balance for the rod I have it on. Lifetime guarantee on manufacturing and a classic looking reel. Stuck a 444 on it and am as happy as a clam.

Coffee and trout

2. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:
  3. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Just wanted to say thanks to all who responded - just about covered the gamut from $25-$500 reels. I think I'll have to see how the rod turns out before I decide how much to spend on the jewlery.

Rob

4. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
  5. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:
    thanks yuhina. it's an incredible reel. i don't own a 3 weight anymore so i have no use for it.

6. JS

JS Active Member

Media:
    I found a pflueger medalist in my great-grandmothers fishing stuff (she was quite the outdoorswoman). Its from the sixtys I am sure and I have been rocking it on my 3wt for about 5 years now. It has a lot of good juju that is for sure!:rofl:

7. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    I'd recommend not spending much on a 3wt reel. For light tackle like a 3wt rod, the reel is just a glorified line holder. Look for an inexpensive and light click and paw reel. I have a discountinued 3/5 wt Scientific Angler Skykomish Reel which is 2 7/8" in diameter and only 3oz in weight. It works fine for me and I got it on sale at Sierra Trading Post this past Spring for a wopping $9.99!! I believe Scientific Angler Concept 1 Reel is the current model similar to my reel which you should be able to find for around $20.

8. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

The kind of fishing done with 3-weight rods and reels is often some of the most personally satisfying experiences in fly fishing. It deserves a good and suitable reel, if you can afford it. You can find reels that are light enough, at any rate, for not much money. This is a perfect place for a sweet-sounding click-and-pawl drag. I wouldn't spoil the experience by gearing up for the occasional rogue chinook.

I have a little (3 ounce) Orvis CFO 1-2-3, a discontinued model in the CFO series. It's a perfect fit for a DT3F line. A current version, the CFO II, looks like a fine update, very much worth its $189 price. But I'd be glad to fish a 3-weight rod with something like a Martin 63SS, which is the same size and could probably be found for $20 on eBay.

9. smileyman63

smileyman63 New Member

I use a ross flycast number 1 on my 2 wt. Works like a champ and was only $35 on sierra trading post. I couldn't pass up the 60% off.

10. Gorgefly

Gorgefly Member

Media:
    For the money, ($119 retail) the Battenkill Mid Arbor is the best buy you can find in my opinion. There are many reels with higher price points which are much better but for the $ I don't think you can beat it. Especially if you fish stillwater alot and use 4-5 different lines, the spools are inexpensive. I purchased one and an extra spool for my sinking lines and ended up buying another and another spool a month later. I can get the reel and spool combo brand new for $160 which is a great deal.
    I had 3 or 4 Ross Flywaters around for extra lines but sold all of them becasue the Battenkill I felt was much better.

11. Johnson Wozniak

Johnson Wozniak Banned or Parked

Odd thing is fly shops know about this but dont seem to care. How the heck is a customer supposed to know the guys screws every single one of his reps, and even went into bankruptcy fory all the lawsuits they had against him.

But I would be curious why a fly shop who knows his true character still buys from him? What fly shops here buy from him? Worleybugger? Reds?

12. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    johnson wozniak / Steve Sullivan, off you go, yet again.