3 WT Rod?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bodhi, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

I checked out the search function but a lot the information I’m looking for is either scattered or just not there.

What (rod & reel) would you guys recommend for a 3 wt set up? Maybe give two suggestions, one for the value buy and another if cost wasn’t an issue.

Thanks

2. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    I have two reels:

- Ross Flywater I - value
    - Vosseler RC2 L - pricey

Like them both.

3. TrappedinCO

TrappedinCO Help! I'm trapped in a landlocked state.

Media:
    Loomis GL3 and a Cortland rimfly - perfect and cheap combo when it's appropriate to use a 3wt.

4. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Media:
    BIIX 8' 6" 3wt 4-PC - pricey but worth every penny.

5. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Rods: Value= St Croix Avid Great rod able to throw a dry dropper well and still able to feel a six inch fish.

Expensive= Find Sage SLT on ebay. They are great rods with enough back bone to cast double nymph rigs.

Reels: Value= Ross flystart
    Expensive= well there isn't really a need for a good drag on a 3wt so cost is going to be purely for aesthetics. So with that being said going out and finding a hardy flyweight would be great.

6. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Since most folks use 3wts to target smallish trout on smallish water, I see no need to buy one with a fast action. After all, it's not like you're gonna be using it on big rivers in high wind to pitch huge streamers.

I'd avoid buying a cheap new rod and echo John's suggestion about buying a good quality used rod from eBay or the classified here. If you stick with the sport, you'll most likely outgrow a cheap rod soon, meaning that the money you spent on it was probably wasted. You missed out on a terrific unused Sage 389-5 SP that one of the members here just sold a couple days ago for $325 - a steal compared with its new price of over $500.

If $300 is a bit over your budget, I'd still look for a Sage 3wt like a VPS, SLT, Launch or FLi. There's a number on eBay right now including this Launch for $107 with less than a day left: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sage-3wt-Fly-Fi...ryZ23819QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, there's no need to spend a lot on a 3wt reel with a fancy disc drag. All it's gonna do on a 3wt is hold line. Again I'd look for a used reel like an Orvis BBS (Battenkill Bar Stock) or a Ross Colorado, both in fairly small sizes.

Hope this helps,

K

7. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

I bought a lovely little 3 wt Echo 2 (five section w/extra tip) about 6 weeks ago and love it. Never fished anything so light and small before - 7' 8" and combined with a Loomis Venture III and Rio DT line it makes a great combo & super easy to roll & sidearm cast. Want to get an extra spool for 4 wt WF line soon as I hear tell that's a good combo as well.

First baptism caught 4 little cutts on the Little Deschutes near McKenna and then a month later hooked 3 more on the Cedar and 2 on the Green in far less than ideal water conditions.

Been using my 5 wt lately thinking I might hook into a steelie on the Green but no luck so will start using the 3 wt again....besides what good would it do to hook into a steelie with a 5x-6x tippet and 3x leader? bawling: It'd be a rush for about 2.135 milliseconds!:clown:

jcnewbie

8. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

There's the low end and the high end but there's also the best end. I would recommend the Orvis full flex Superfine rods. We have a 7 1/2' 3wt 4-piece rod for $495 and a BBS reel for $89. Put a double taper line on and you won't get too much better.

Leland.

9. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    I would budget based upon how often you intend to use the rod. I have some nice rods, like a Sage XP and a Winston BIIX. Both are rods that I use a lot. I wanted a 3 weight, but knew I wouldn't use it real often. I went with a TFO Pro 8'6" 3 weight. It is a lovely dry fly rod and has landed fish up to 18". I owned a St. Croix 3 weight, but it was only 7' 6", which made it great for tiny creeks, but the length made mending very difficult on even smallish rivers.

10. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    If money was a factor... find a used Scott G and a Ross flywater reel.

Not a factor..... Scott G2 and a Ross Evolution. The Scott G2 is about 10% nicer than the old G. Either are really fun to cast.

11. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I have a 7.5 foot diamondback fiberglass 3 wt that's an absolute blast on small water. Outrageous rollcaster with a triangle taper and dries... Very reasonable.

12. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Ha! I worked with a former Orvis rod designer. He pretty much said that the short superfines were the best rods going. He had a negative opinion of Orvis 9 foot rods, which I'm guessing had a lot to do with the fact that he had nothing to do with the design:p, but even after leaving he couldn't say anything negative about what he used to call those "beaverkill rods".

13. Porter

Porter Active Member

Many choices out there and so few bad choices these days.

Two I would recommend thinking about that are no longer in production but damn good rods for the mission of a three weight. Going a little old school now, the Sage DS or DS2 would be a sweet lowish $ end rod and the Sage LL series, a little more hit on the wallet ...:) :thumb:

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Hows about a TFO finesse rod. 7'9". $179.00 and it is using a Martin reel,$29.95 on it with Cortland peach line $48.00. All in the 3wt class.

Jim

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I got the same Echo 2 rod in 3wt. In my inexpeirenced hands it felt better that a similarly sized (length and weight) Sage Launch and TFO Professional. They were all in the same price ballpark, I liked the echo the best. I have a simple and very inexpensive Okuma Sierra reel for it with a spare spool. SA Sharkskin WF3F on one and a DT3 on the spare. I tried a 4wt and it did not cast well for me at all. For the situations when I might want a 3wt I feel like I have a very good setup for my needs and talent.

16. Luke Davis

Luke Davis Member

My 3wt just arrived about 2 days ago. I ordered a TFO Signature Series 7' 6" and a Ross Flystart reel. I love the light feel.

This is a great setup and Im pumped to get it out there.

17. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    I don't own a 3 wt., but as for reels if you can spend a little, I absolutely love my Sage 3100 on my 2 wt. - not sure if you'd want to bump up to a 3200 for a 3 wt. The Sage 3x00 series has a really light click drag, just enough to prevent backlashing when stripping line. It's a lightweight, simple and well machined palming reel.

18. Porter

Porter Active Member

Those are nice reels, but IMHO The Orvis BBS is a better deal and pretty too :thumb:

19. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I picked up an Echo 3 wt with a Cabelas SLA reel about 2 weeks ago. Set me back about 260 or so, with line and backing, and is a wonderful rod. A dream to cast, dream to mend, and a real dream to play trout on.

20. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    If you want a real budget but respectible 3wt rod, take a look at a Eagle Claw Granger XG IM-7 rod. The only downside is that it only comes in a 2pc, 7ft version in the 3wt. But despite that limitation, it's a pretty decent small stream fly rod that you can go off bushwacking with reckless abandon due to its tiny replacement cost. I've given mine a pretty good beating and it's holding up very well. I've coupled it with a simple but sweet 50+ yr old Horrocks-Ibbotson Sportcraft 60 single action fly reel. Got both for about $50.