3 WT Rod?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bodhi, Aug 1, 2008.

1. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    John...

Very good set up! I love them too!
    The Avid 2-3wt are awesome rods that been overlooked...if you can find a used one... that would be a great catch.

I have a Sage VPS Lite 389 (moderate price) great for longer cast.
    and a Fiberglass 3wt 7' (moderate price) and 6'6 for short cast. (if you never try a new generation fiberglass rod... you might want to try one... they blow me away...)

I have a Daneilsson Midge reel. (moderate price). No drag, but it is a large arbor reel. they large arbor reel will help you a lot when you need to organize your line fast in a tight creek.
    attached a photo of my "go-to" brookie set up. good luck for the search...

2. Noah Pefaur

Noah Pefaur New Member

I recently set myself up with a Sage Launch 3wt and a Cabellas' reel. I think that Cabellas is getting out of the house brand market or something because I got the reel for 1/2 price. Most of their stuff looked to be at least 50% off. The combo is very nice, it casts dries reasonably well, but can still throw small buggers and nymphs if I need to.

3. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I'd go with a TFO finesse & you really don't need much of a reel . . . smallish fish don't run & there's no pressing need to "get them on the reel" quickly. Spend the majority of your budget on the rod & less on the reel. I've used a 2-wt Orvis with a Battenkill reel for years when entertaining/being entertained-by smallish fish & absolutely love the combo (but 2-weights were relatively scarce when I bought it, and knowing what I know now coupled with the entrance of TFO into the market, I'd purchase a TFO, hands-down.).

4. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    To go with these, I have a St. Croix Avid and a Sage FLi. Love them both and they are very different sticks. I like the Avid for it's finesse presentation and the Sage for launching and being able to handle a nymph rig.

Stew

5. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Whatever rod and reel you end up with, make sure they're properly balanced so you get the most enjoyment out of a lightweight setup. In other words, don't get a nice lightweight stick and put a reel on it that's too heavy. I have a Ross Evolution 1.5 on a 4wt Sage Z-Axis and it's a nicely balanced match.