3 wt rods and misc inquiry.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eyejuggler, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

At my recent club meeting (Alpine Fly Fishers - Puyallup) we had Dave McCoy talk and he got me stoked for fishing obscure small creeks and so I have begun a search for info about a 3wt set up. I did a search but came up with alot of non specific threads. Can anyone link an older thread that might be pertinent to my query? I don't mean to beat a dead horse if there is such a thread, but I was just wondering about optimal lengths and other things related to a light set up. I am kinda psyched to use it for panfish as well, seem it would be a fun alternative.
    Was looking at the Circa and the Galvan Brookie...but if there is any feedback that isnt redundant, I would be interested!
    Thanks in advance!
    Dave

Below is an unrelated image of Mica Cap mushrooms to break the monotony of a generic fly rod/reel inquiry post.
    [​IMG]

WonkyWapiti likes this.
  2. olypenjeeper

olypenjeeper Active Member

fiberglass is ideal for this situation. I started using a Lamiglass "honey" 6'6" 2 piece and it's alot of fun. Makes a 10" trout feel like a steelhead. Also my success of landing increased tremendously because I was slower to set the hook on the quick takes, unlike graphite which I have a tendancy to pull away too fast.

Randall Clark, GAT and Eyejuggler like this.
  3. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I expect there are several related threads. One thing you will find is that there are two primary camps. One will promote longer rods, say 8 feet or greater, with the theory that they are more versatile in that they roll cast better and you can dap through the bushes. There is another camp, smaller I think, that advocates short rods, say 6 to 7 feet. I belong to this camp, but this is your journey and you should enjoy the ride and where it takes you. Maybe the most rational advice I'll offer is to take the middle ground (first) at approximately 7.5 feet, and consider fiberglass rods in 4wts and under.
    G'luck and enjoy.

Eyejuggler likes this.
  4. I agree with Olypen. I picked up an inexpensive fiberglass rod last year for small creeks (7'0" 4wt) and it is a kick with small fish.
    D

Eyejuggler likes this.
  5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Dave,

I've had a bunch of 3wts over the years, sold most, yet keep coming back to them. They seem to be an ideal weight for the kind of fishing I prefer for smallish trout in both moving water and lakes. As my casting has evolved over the years, I find that it's more important to me to have a rod with a slower action than a stiffer one.

I say this for a couple of reasons: First that my casting stoke is lot more relaxed, so a slower action tends to be more forgiving of occasional timing errors, still allowing my loop to recover nicely even though I may miss a cue or two. A faster rod seems less tolerant of my style and more likely to collapse a loop if my timing isn't spot on. More importantly though is that a slower action rod flexes more deeply, making a 10" trout feel more like a 15" one on a faster rod.

As for reels, I see absolutely no need for any design featuring a disc drag. A simple click-pawl drag that prevents overrun when pulling off line before casting is entirely sufficient. Sure, if I manage to hook a 5 pound fish, a disc drag can come in handy. But given how unlikely that is in the waters I frequent, and the fact that even a click-pawl reel plus your hand on the rim has enough stopping power for even a steelhead, I see no need on an overengineered mechanical marvel that will largely be wasted.

I have several 3wts right now: a Redington 8 foot CT 6-piece graphite; a 1970s Hardy Marvel 7-1/2 foot 3/2 cane; and an Orvis Flea 6-1/2 foot 2/2 cane. Paired with a reel with a minimal drag and DT line, each is a great choice for fish up to 15-16".

Hope this helps,

K

Olive bugger, Porter and Eyejuggler like this.
  6. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Excellent advise, I have never experienced a glass rod, but perhaps now is the time to try one out at my local shop. I was tending to think the shorter version just for bushwhacking ease, so definitely a thought, but mid 7 sounds about right. My current focus is beach fishing with a stiff 9.6 so I expect this will be an eye opener.
    Thanks for the input you all!

7. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

If my small stream fish were Cascades cutties I'd consider a 2wt setup to be a funner option.

8. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

I have a CT 8' 3 weight 6 piece that I like to use as well as a 7'6" 5 weight glass rod from the 60's. Both are fun stream rods that have different strengths. You are more than welcome to meet up with me at some point and cast both of them to see if you like them.

I have gotten into rod building and I think the next rod I build will be a 3-4 weight glass rod about 7 feet long plus ot minus 6 inches. I imagine that being my go to small stream rod.

Eyejuggler and Kent Lufkin like this.
  9. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

10. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Thanks all and yes Gary I checked out the FS link and sent a tell. Might be a good place to start and finish. Now that I know the names of some of the rods and such, the search engine works much better :)

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I wanted a small stream rod, so I settled on a 7'9" 3wt TFO Finesse rod. I'm tickled pink with this rod. I couldn't be happier with it. I have since then collected a 7'6" 3wt from a friend. I fish both of these rods all summer long. Along with a 7'6" GL2 4wt which I use for nymphing in the summer. I only fish small skinny water. That seems to be where the most fun is.

I have reels for all three rods but none of them a Click Pawl reels. It seems that those type of reels are getting harder to come by. All of my reels have a drag which is set at the lowest setting. 12" fish don't pull that hard.

Fishing here in SW Montana is not hard. You don't have to go brush busting to get down to the water. It is pretty much all open except for the wild rose bushes and their damn stickers.

12. Kent Lufkin

On a walk with the dogs this morning I realized I had forgotten to list my Sage 389-5SP in my earlier post. Either means I have too many rods or its early onset Alzheimer's. Probably the latter ;^ )

K

13. Porter

Porter Active Member

Who you trying to kid?......definetly to many! :p

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  14. WonkyWapiti

WonkyWapiti Member

This is a timely thread as I've been debating on picking up a 3 wt for the same reason. I was looking at the Redington CT and wanted to go check out the TFO BVK and Finesse rods as well as the St. Croix Avid and Imperial series. I just saw an ad for a click pawl TFO BVK 0 reel for 2 and 3 wt rods that was really light, anyone have any experience with this too?

15. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

For small water I like to stay under 8'0. I have Fiberglass in 7'6 4wt and 6'6 3wt and even a 1wt. If you are more of a Graphite man, like Old Man stated it is hard to beat the TFO Finesse rod

16. Kent Lufkin

IMHO, the virtues of ultra-light (and large arbor) reels are vastly overexaggerated by the flyfishing industry as a tactic to convince folks to buy new reels.

The weight of a reel by itself isn't nearly as important as having a reel-line-rod combination that balances somewhere around the rod handle's winding check when the rod is strung up and ready to cast. An ultralight reel on a heavy weight rod will not balance any better than an ultralight rod with a heavy reel does.

But even then, the impact of a hugely out of balance combination is minimal and will likely manifest itself only as incremental arm and shoulder fatigue at the end of the day.

K

17. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Great info keeps coming! Thanks for the input and I am glad my post wasn't too redundant, seems like a good time to start looking at spring creek kits and I got a good bit of info.
    Thanks heaps, looking forward to getting the set up, like I said I have never fished glass so it will behoove me to check some out as I have always been just graphite, but for smaller fish, glass seems like it matches the catch better. But, the feel in hand will be the factor.
    Thanks folks!
    Dave

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  18. Kent Lufkin

Eyejuggler, I hope that what you're getting from this thread (and from many others here) is that there isn't one single 'right' way to do things. Personal preferences, skill, experience, budget and blind luck all have their place and play a role. The setup or technique that works for me might not work for someone else. The only way to find out is to try it. When you find something you like and that works, stick with it.

K

19. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I use a Sage 279 LL. The little 2wt. is a wonderful rod. I use it on a lake I fish fairly often, but not always because of a little wind, but, it still does fine. A 12 inch fish can feel like a 15 incher sometimes!
    I recently purchased a Redington 3wt. CT 8'6" and am anxious to use it. I think the 2wt is better in the small creeks than a 3wt.

20. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

can't wait for our trib streams to open 2 months from now. so many places to hike during runoff! it's like skykomish creeks but with grizzly bears.

Josh and Old Man like this.