3 wt rods and misc inquiry.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eyejuggler, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I have yet to come across a bear when I've been fishing. I see Elk when I'm out riding my ATV even a few Moose off in the distance. But no bears of any kind. Hell I haven't even seen a snake but one time since I've lived here, and it wasn't even rattlesnake.

2. Cedar

Cedar Active Member

I really like my 7'6" superfine touch paired with a CFO for most applications. I use it for all of the Snoqualmie Forks and tribs and any other small water that I come across. It isn't a fast rods by any means but I can still throw enough line when needed and the CFO balances with it nearly perfectly. I use a 8'6" or 9' (can't remember) CT that works great for alpine lakes. I also have an old glass Scott Powr ply (that i think is from the 70's or 80's) that it pretty fun but when it comes to casting in really tight places I just don't feel that I can make the spot on casts with it. I think what I'm trying to say is that you don't need one 3 weight, you need at least three.

Porter likes this.
  3. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yeah I agree with above statement, but now I'm convinced I want to get one of the new orvis click and pawl reels (2013 model). Any word on their availability yet? There has been no reply on other thread or else I missed it. Seems like a perfect small streamer reel (MHO)

4. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Porter, I was one of the first to order the new Battenkill click pawl which I heard was going to be available on March 25 or 28. It didn't happen and the Orvis shop that I ordered from called back east to find out what the deal was. Latest estimate was May 1. Stay tuned, looks like it will be awhile yet.

Ive

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

Thanks Ive. Soon as they are in I'm making the trip to bellevue to check out (if they have them). Please update, much appreciated!

6. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Have a look at these. http://www.mudhole.com/docs/versi10.html I have the Versitex IGF704 IM6 and although they claim it is a fast action 4 wt, I find it to be a rather slow action 3wt! This was the first light weight rod I had ever cast. And, at the time, the slowest rod I had ever cast. It turned out to be a real jewel for working small water. I only wish it were a 3 or 4 piece. My vote definitely goes to the lighter, shorter, slower rods.

Criteria as follows:
    1. Able to cast anything from small dry fly on at least a 9.5' leader tapering to a 7x tippet with minimum line out of the tip, cast a bead head nymph with spit shot and a yarn indicator, a weighted egg fly, or muddler minnow a respectable distance, sometimes with minimum back cast room.
    2. Soft enough to handle 7x tippet, but enough authority fight a 15" trout in moving water,,,most of the time.
    3. Accuracy & delicacy rules over distance.
    4. Relaxing to cast all day long.

7. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    I have a lot of nice rod's but. When I was in airway heights last year I didn't have the right one for crab creak till last year. A sage LL 3wt 5"6', What a perfect rod for that creek. for technical fishing at it's best. Pair it with a hardy two screw fly weight. Haven't used that rod any were else, I like to buy my rod's for water's I fish. I have fished a lot of water's and is my excuse for being a gear whore.

p.s. What a freaking fantastic rod it is, never seen one. Had to have it, and thanks to the gentleman on this forum that sold me that last year.

Nooksack Mac and Cedar like this.
  8. Cedar

Cedar Active Member

I like to buy rods for specific water too but I'm having a hard time convincing my wife that I need 20+ rods

9. wichaka

wichaka Active Member

I run Redington Drift reels on my 2 & 3 weight rods, and they balance very well.

I had a Drift 3/4 on my Sage 379 LL, and thought it was a tad too heavy, didn't balance well. Switched it to the Drift 2/3, and it feels so much better in the hand.

One can go overboard with the ultra-light thing, but the rod has to balance well or it just won't feel right...to me anyway.

Stew McLeod and Eyejuggler like this.
  10. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

11. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Albums:
    Lugan gave me the same advice a couple summers back when I was looking for a small stream rod. I picked up the Cabelas 4 wt 7'0" and have been very pleased with it. I have a couple other small, light graphite rods for small streams, but neither are as fun as this one.
    D

12. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    I am glad to hear the Redington Drift 2/3 reel balances well. I ordered one from Creekside to pair up with Redington 2wt I just bought off a board member.

Now my opinion on 3wts.

I only have two at the moment - a St Croix Avid and a Sage FLi. The Avid is a joy to cast and my go-to rod for streams around here - price was right too. The FLi is a bit stiff for me and when I use it I tend to run it with a 4wt line. I just scored a Sage LL 3wt and it should show up any day - I hope it lives up the to hype :)

Stew

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  13. rainbow

Home Page:
    Whats the length on the LL. Once you go LL you wont go back.

14. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    It is the 379 model (3 piece) ... I also have a bid on a 389 right now. More money than brains lately I guess.

Stew

15. rainbow

Home Page:
    Your going to love them for the upcoming hatches.

16. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I just finished building a two-piece 3-weight rod on a Thomas & Thomas LPS 863 blank. The LPS was a series that T&T made about five years ago, supposedly a little slower than their usual rocket launchers, but still a fast flinger of tight loops. With a DT3F, it maxed out at 73 feet, leader included. If anything, it's better with a DT4F, which maxed at 81 feet. I think it will see a lot of use on spring creeks and lakes on windless days.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  17. Cedar

Cedar Active Member

I'm only a little jealous.

18. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    I made the mistake of testing out a Sage Circa 379-4 with a Sage Click III reel at the show in Lynnwood. I am now eagerly awaiting the first chance to employ it.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  19. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Dave, if you are thinking about spending enough to buy a Circa, I'd get a Winston Biit 8' 3wt, IMO a better and more versatile rod. If you don't want to spend that much I'd get a Redington CT (Tempt) or listen to Logan and get a Cabelas glass, they are great inexpensive glass rods that are a lot of fun for small waters.

20. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    Mark, I pulled the trigger on the CT in classifieds, I figured for 100 bucks it would be a nice starter creek rod, pairing it with the Galvan Brookie which is on its way hopefully. Thanks for the tips Mark and everyone, plenty of good info to work with as I mature in my small stream kit!