30 inches of fish on the Yak

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by TANGLES, Apr 11, 2005.

1. TANGLES

TANGLES Richh

Of course that's if you take six, five inchers and lay them end to end. These little guys were everywhere. Nothing bigger for me but my buddy got a couple nice 14-15 inchers with BWO emergers down around 15. Had never been there on a weekend (Sunday) and it was my first experience with "pressure fishing". Was told it wasn't actually too bad, wait 'til summer. Anyhow, nice day, good Mexican food afterward, gives you plenty of gas for the drive home.

2. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    Yeah, I saw a lot of those too on Sunday. There are quite a few smolt in the river right now.
    I also found a ton of whitefish. For a while, it seemed like about the only thing I could catch. I had my record number of whitefish day. Not sure if that is an accomplishment or not :confused: I even caught some on dries!

3. TANGLES

TANGLES Richh

Fished BWO dry all day, trying to lose my Yakima dry fly virginity. Caught those little guys on dries but don't want them to count. Sizes does matter when it comes to something like that.

4. Joshw

Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Media:
    I had the thirty inches of fish going on Saturday too until I hooked up with two nice 14" rainbows as I was working my way back up to my truck to go home. The wind was a real killer...the swallows were out swooping around scooping up the bwo's as the wind was blowing them away. I saw a few risers here and there between wind gusts, but spent the day nymphing. Did see a guy who had a his hat blown off retrieve it with a gracefully placed cast! Josh

5. Cliff

Cliff Member

Tangles - my best fish ever on the Yakima came about ten years ago on the upper river, just north of the Teaneway. It was a dinky little 7" rainbow that took me forever to catch. I don't think a human could have created a tougher drift and it took me a zillion casts just to get a 3-bob float and catch the little guy on a small elk hair caddis. There have certainly been bigger fish on the Yakima since then, but it's that fish that I remember more than the others.

I fished the canyon a couple of weeks ago and didn't see many smolts - if any. The last time I had smolt trouble was in late May of last year. I just couldn't get my wet fly down to any depth because of the smolts thrashing it.

Regards,
    Cliff

6. TomB

TomB Active Member

most likely what you were catching were not rainbows, but in fact juvenile chinook salmon. While many are hatchery origin denoted by a missing adipose fin, a good portion are wild and threatened under the ESA, so be gentle and don't remove them from the water.
    -Tom

7. Icanfly

Icanfly aka Matt

Media:
    Hey, what do you guys think about this? I was with Diehard yesterday and saw a ~20" fish of some kind that looked like a spawned out salmon. It was very dark for the most part, but had the white "molty" looking patches like an old salmon would. It would be either way late or way early for a salmon in the Yak near Umtanum though right? Whatever the case, I thought it was unusual. Do stealhead take on that nasty coloration after they spawn at all? Nice day though, even if the BWO hatch wasn't nearly as good as last time we were there. :thumb:

8. E'burg fisher

E'burg fisher Member

Went out for about an hour Sunday afternoon. Caught Three fish between 10 and 14". After that it was all smolt. They are just crazy, clearing the water and jumping right next to me. Good BWO hatch and a short but intense MB hatch. That's when the bigger fish were really taking the dry's. Saw some big fish slurping down the MB's but I just couldn't get the drift right.

9. greyghost

greyghost Member

Media:
    Icanfly,
    When I was over there on friday, I saw several spawned out bow's in the 16-20" range. Yes they can get quite beat up and have patchy fungus like salmon. You'll see them milling around in slackwater areas just like drop back steelhead. Also, there are a ton of chinook smolts in the river right now. The way I fished dries over there the other day, was to actually target individual bank risers that were obviously not smolts by their rise, and I also kept my fly out of any inside seams that had very slow water....that weeds out most of the smolts as they tend to congregate in areas with less flow and then jump on anything that comes by.

Pete

10. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    I was wondering if anyone thought to tie on and use a smolt looking streamer. I gotta think the big boys would be looking for something safer, and more filling, than a bug on the surface.

11. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    the yak brutes' feed on those smolts- one might take advantage- I have posted a pic of a smolt pattern we have fished with good success during this period.Many other streamers will work as well.

12. greyghost

greyghost Member

Media:
    Davy, thats a great looking pattern, much prettier than any of the streamers I currently fish.
    I did fish some white bunny patterns on the river the other morning, pre-hatch, got a few short strikes and 1 16" to hand. Once the bugs started poppin' I gave up on the streamer tossing.

Pete

13. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    Funny, I saw a big fungus'd rainbow about 30 inches down river of untanum (sp?). It lumbered along like a spawned out salmon. Definite rainbow stripe, so I was asking people whether it was possible for steelhead to be up that high.

Tough fishing Saturday with the wind. Sunday, I caught fish by all techniques. I got a couple of 15" on BWO dry and an oliver wooly bugger. Caught a lot of white fish. They liked the lightening bugs.

Joe

14. TomB

TomB Active Member

yes there are steelhead that high. Anything over about 22 inches is most likely a steelhead in there (yeah, there are a FEW exceptions).
    -Tom

15. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    thanks Pete, it works well, or 'least last year it did. We've been over fishin just twice this year with all my dang health issues. On the mend now though , yes indeed, on the mend.

You have the perfect screenname for a streamer fisherman :thumb:

16. TANGLES

TANGLES Richh

DaveEarl,
    That Blue Summer Gin is too pretty to use.

17. bristol redd

bristol redd New Member

I too caught a bunch of smolts. They were all fin clipped that I could see. Also they each had a bright orange mark behind one eye. What's that for?

18. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Media:
    Yeah, the steelhead are in there spawning right now, watch out for their redds. I just finished a stream survey in the Methow Basin and counted about 15 redds and about a dozen live adults on the redds in a little trickle of a creek near Twisp. Really cool! Alot of steelhead will try to swim back to the salt but some will stick around and get fungus-ey and die just like a Pacific salmon.

Michael