30 lb steelhead on the hoh

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by TomB, Feb 21, 2009.

1. hendersonbaylocal Member

Seattle WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  2. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +45 / 0
  3. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +879 / 0
  4. Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Twin Bridges, MT
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Hooked in the corner of the mouth and bleeding from the gills, weird, something doesn't add up.
  5. FLGator Member

PNW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Amazing what happens when you jam your hand under a gill plate to land and handle a fish isn't it Joe.
  6. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +52 / 1
    Those pictures make me sick!
    He was so emotionally scarred that he paraded the fish around forks, then took it to Waters West in P.A. on the way home!
    Too emotionally scarred to take a bunch of pictures of it in several of the classic poses I hate to see a Wild Steelhead in!

What an Asshole. That Loomis spey rod will be in a few more pieces if I ever see him fishing out there!!!
  7. Andrew Kirkland cuttlover

Bellingham, Wa,
    What a tragedy! English Pete is an asshole for killing this fish plain and simple. In the first picture the fish looks exhausted but was not bleeding from the gills, this guy killed it out of impulse-- he thought to himself that he had a chance at a record (selfish and foolishly), killed the fish, took it to be weighed, bragged about it online and to the press, and then realized his mistake and made up a bs story. What a shame.
  8. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,724 / 0
    I agree with some of the comments about Pete's story not adding up. If the fish was hooked where he said it was, and the photo suggests it was hooked in the corner of the jaw, then there should have been no bleeding of consequence. Had the fly hooked a gill arch, then the remark about the fish bleeding severely makes sense. It looks more like the fish began bleeding severely after he hit it on the head with a rock.

Not that a Monday morning post-game analysis matters. He took his fish legally, and now he gets to live with all the natural and logical consequences.

Sg
  9. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    i've heard first hand accounts from Jeff Brazda and second hand accounts attributed to Jim Kerr, both of whom, were on the river with Pete and the fish.
    The fish was not bleeding from the gills until the rakers where pulled. there was NO effort to revive the fish whatsoever and it was promptly bonked once landed.

i sure hope he does not get the record, maybe he clipped his fly off !
    like Alpinetrout mentioned on thebigpull blog, if that is not attached to the leader,
    no record.

english pete knew full well what he was doing, no mistakes about that.
    in my mind, he is ethically on par with the "kill Em All Boyz" on the front page of the
    Seattle Times this weekend, the only difference is what pete did was unfortunately legal.

sure wish brazda wasn't such a nice frickin huge redneck, his size 14 boots would be perfect justice

especially since he spent the next 2 days after he caught it driving around trying to show it off.
    he's so lame with his fake "i feel so bad", both the article in the paper and his email are just a bunch of excuses.

i feel bad for the waters west fly shop since he was wearing their hat in the photos.
    he should get banned from every local shop this side and op side of cabelas or sportsman warehouse.

if anyone wants to write him a note, his address is on the big pull blog

i wonder how much it cost to mail a box of dog poop?!

JD
  10. Joepa Joe from PA

This guy's bio (according to the ZEGRAHM & ECO EXPEDITIONS website) describes him as an "active conservationist" who is known for his "quick thinking" and "derring-do" deeds. LOL

Yeah, the heroic and clever Englishman that bravely bonked the brains out of an exceptional wild steelhead to save it from certain, painful suffocation (not to mention the tortuous rigors of reproduction) using only the rocks at hand to dispatch the afflicted…meanwhile, the Hoh to close early (again) in a desperate attempt to meet pathetic escapement goals. Time to update that bio I’d say..."Meet English Pete - the asshole". :beathead:
  11. Runejl Josh

Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings: +6 / 0
  12. herl Member

the other washington
    and we come full circle.. The two 'giant wild steelhead' mega-threads have been joined at last! :eek:

Clearly, neither fish was handled with the interests of the population in mind - but only one had a decent chance at survival. Let's hope we would all do better.
  13. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Ratings: +121 / 0
    Amen, brother.
  14. CoastalCutt Member

North Bend, WA
    Wow, this is like Bob Jacklin x 10.......I'm with the crowd on this one, but all the bitching in the world will never bring ANY wild fish back from the dead.
  15. FLGator Member

PNW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    GET INVOLVED! Change the laws! Make a difference!

Support the Wild Steelhead Coalition and the Native Fish Society!!!!

With a few clicks of the mouse you CAN make a difference.

wildsteelheadcoalition.org
    nativefishsociety.org

Join today!
  16. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    my effin head is spinning man
    herl, is this what they call an event horizon?

There's a black hole around here somewhere, I feel it...
  17. herl Member

the other washington
    you got it buddy. I think it means our rivers get an influx of wild steelhead from a parallel universe. Here's hoping they don't pollute the gene pool..
  18. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    haha! shades of Citori.:thumb:
  19. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +63 / 1
    I'm new to this site. Iv'e been reading all this and it is like talking about religon.[ that's a can of worms] I think you all have missed the point. He did nothing wrong..... all legel!!!!!!!!!3
    I just hope I don't do anything wrong. I'd be stoned.
    If you don't like the laws then change the laws don't blame the act!!!
    Thanks John
    P.S. I do caught and release but that is my religon but if I want to keep a fish I will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Twin Bridges, MT
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    There is a difference between legal and ethical, nobody is questioning the legality of the situation.